John's Loco Workbench - More Projects Begin...

Late night session with razor saw, glue and filler. The chassis now has new (not entirely accurate but better) pilot faces.
20240512_082837.jpg

20240512_082840.jpg

Lots of cleaning up, filing and modifications still required, and then I have to work out how on Earth I am going to do the handrails (suggestions appreciated!!!)

The body has received an initial dusting of primer, shows up a few minor areas for more filler and filing but overall. not too bad considering the proverbial sows ear I started with:
20240512_155049.jpg

The end details, the usual SP light show (parts from various sources) plus handrails, the curved grabs were a lucky find when I was looking for something else so on they went!
20240512_155053.jpg

Now it has an identity, 2405 was a set of consecutive digits on the sheet of transfers so that is what I went for.
20240515_092410.jpg

I think it is fairly safe to say that this will be a homage to a SP C415 rather than a super accurate model thanks to the numerous errors with the original model. For example, either the numerals are too large or the number board inserts are too small:
20240515_092413.jpg

I need to sort out some handrails for the chassis, I have been putting that bit off...

Now it has an identity, 2405 was a set of consecutive digits on the sheet of transfers so that is what I went for.
View attachment 187548

I think it is fairly safe to say that this will be a homage to a SP C415 rather than a super accurate model thanks to the numerous errors with the original model. For example, either the numerals are too large or the number board inserts are too small:
View attachment 187549

I need to sort out some handrails for the chassis, I have been putting that bit off...
You can only work with what you have, what size decals are you using.

Do you intend to use metal handrails ?

Considering how old and inaccurate the base model is, the truck frames are actually pretty decent, these along with the rather basic tank moulding have now been cleaned, primed and painted:
20240517_195055.jpg

The handrail issue is being solved using spare parts culled from two old Atlas RS1's that have been gradually donating spare parts for years.
20240517_194920.jpg

The side ones look the part but the end ones are wrong, they may have to do though.

Considering how old and inaccurate the base model is, the truck frames are actually pretty decent, these along with the rather basic tank moulding have now been cleaned, primed and painted:
View attachment 187708

The handrail issue is being solved using spare parts culled from two old Atlas RS1's that have been gradually donating spare parts for years.
View attachment 187707

The side ones look the part but the end ones are wrong, they may have to do though.

The C415 is awaiting priming of the chassis once I have reattached the handrails for the umpteenth time as I keep knocking them off...

Meanwhile, one of my personal favourite locomotive models in HO is (and this may surprise you) the Atlas Alco S series switchers. They are rugged, reliable, and have never let me down. I have quite a few amassed here and there over the years and these two have now come forward for attention:
20240520_131825.jpg

The SP Tiger Stripe one seems to have seen little if any use since it left the Atlas factory probably twenty or thirty years ago, it will be treated to a little detailing, retaining the livery and number and join my two SP bloody nose S3's which were among the first locos in US HO outline I ever bought way back when.

The other machine is in need of more intense treatment, I have managed to clean the over enthusiastic weathering off the cab glazing which was so intense it was impossible to see in or out of the cab. It has a few bits missing and needs a bit of TLC.

The SP one is an S4, the other one is an S3 I think and you can see the two different designs of truck used under the Alco S series.

The C415 is awaiting priming of the chassis once I have reattached the handrails for the umpteenth time as I keep knocking them off...

Meanwhile, one of my personal favourite locomotive models in HO is (and this may surprise you) the Atlas Alco S series switchers. They are rugged, reliable, and have never let me down. I have quite a few amassed here and there over the years and these two have now come forward for attention:
View attachment 189634

The SP Tiger Stripe one seems to have seen little if any use since it left the Atlas factory probably twenty or thirty years ago, it will be treated to a little detailing, retaining the livery and number and join my two SP bloody nose S3's which were among the first locos in US HO outline I ever bought way back when.

The other machine is in need of more intense treatment, I have managed to clean the over enthusiastic weathering off the cab glazing which was so intense it was impossible to see in or out of the cab. It has a few bits missing and needs a bit of TLC.

The SP one is an S4, the other one is an S3 I think and you can see the two different designs of truck used under the Alco S series.
It's been a few decades, but I think the only difference between the S3 and S4 is the trucks. One had Blunt trucks, the other has AAR trucks.

Back