Jeff's Garage Layout

JeffShultz

Stay off the tracks!
What about Jeff's space? He posted a message (then quickly deleted it) about a garage layout in roughly the same space.

Jeff, you still interested in giving that one a go? If so, can you sketch up the dimensions you have to work with and a list of "givens and druthers". If so, we'll start a new topic and see what folks come up with.

Okay, just spotted this (it's been a busy week so far...). I'll announce right up front that I've already got my layout plotted out, with only a few tweaks left for when I actually lay track in those areas.

So this one is strictly for fun - it's also more space limited than Coyote's.

I'll post more later, but start thinking about a 13x23 foot single car garage, oriented east-west, where the southeast corner is off limits 8 feet north and 13 feet west of the corner out to 5 feet from the wall. There's doors and other stuff there. There will be a bit of refinement on that later.

This is my givens and druthers - I'm interested in seeing what others would do given the space:
Modern era shortline with GP/SD9 through GP40 power. Single track main. Centerbeams, covered hoppers, woodchips and TBOX/FBOX style hi-cubes are the order of the day. My layout is a rough approximation of the Oregon Electric line of the Portland & Western (fmly Willamette & Pacific) between Albany and some part north. Willamette Valley flatlands. I'm going for continous running courtesy of the Santiam River Bridge swingout to a double ended yard. I've also got an interchange with the SP (UP, who are they?) that requires it's own staging.

The blank slate

This is the basic sketch of the layout area, including "no go" areas.
A minimum of 30" access in front of the shelves should be maintained. The layout can come up right to the left edge of the shelves otherwise.

Jeff,
Could you email me the XtrkCad file of the room. It would be quicker to get the correct dimension.

Thanks

Jeff:I have a question/problem
I'm going for continous running courtesy of the Santiam River Bridge
Can't figger out what that means. I've googled on internet and found the ( wooden) bridge but: running courtesy of the etc...that is still a secret to me( I know/understand the expression: continous runnung)
Could you explain that for me or some one else on this forum who knows??

Jos

He means he's able to do continuous running because of the bridge, I guess that is across the gap between benches.

Ken.

What do you have in mind for staging? It seems it would be easy enough to drop down a level and put some in.

Hello Chip,

Did /do you ask that question to mr Shultz or is it more common, I mean for the other members who participate in this "project"
BTW: I'll find it already a very tough one...do you?

Jos

ps add a pict. Is that the Santiam river bridge??....and NZRMac:Thank you sir for the explaination!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Chip,

Did /do you ask that question to mr Shultz or is it more common, I mean for the other members who participate in this "project"
BTW: I'll find it already a very tough one...do you?

Jos

ps add a pict. Is that the Santiam river bridge??....and NZRMac:Thank you sir for the explaination!

If you started a decent from the right side of the bridge, and continued down to the yard area, you could then loop back and climb back to the layout. It would keep the grade fairly moderate.

sketch I

It's a beginning/a start.....

Before you look at the colored sketch, I'll try to explain why I design it this way...(so far..)
The curves: I am not a fan of small/tight curves( railroadtrack!) I like the smooth ones if there is enough space. Just like in real . I don't like watching a train going out of a curve and the "tail" of the train is could be seen by the engineer! . Only in /at hidden places I use them. Like underground staging yards.
The inspiration to this layout came from the pictures Jeff made..... and googeled a (long) while on internet to look/ surch for pictures of the landscape/environment of the modelled areas. And of course: google.earth.
From that point of view you could see the landscape very well of the "Flatlands" and his river...So I tried this( so far) to model this"subject" too.
I will post later( working on it) the staging yards and the routes to it...
The part at the top of the drawing: almost 17 feet long, is the toughest part..
I am not used to all the short tracks Jeff designed on his real layout so actualy I have to know what kind of industrie / shops/ factories/ or other things that need to be delivered with suplies...
The staging of the other company? I have to work on that too
So it is far from ready but it is a start so please have comments/critics on this "design/sketch

Jos

It's a beginning/a start.....

Before you look at the colored sketch, I'll try to explain why I design it this way...(so far..)
The curves: I am not a fan of small/tight curves( railroadtrack!) I like the smooth ones if there is enough space. Just like in real . I don't like watching a train going out of a curve and the "tail" of the train is could be seen by the engineer! . Only in /at hidden places I use them. Like underground staging yards.
The inspiration to this layout came from the pictures Jeff made..... and googeled a (long) while on internet to look/ surch for pictures of the landscape/environment of the modelled areas. And of course: google.earth.
From that point of view you could see the landscape very well of the "Flatlands" and his river...So I tried this( so far) to model this"subject" too.
I will post later( working on it) the staging yards and the routes to it...
The part at the top of the drawing: almost 17 feet long, is the toughest part..
I am not used to all the short tracks Jeff designed on his real layout so actualy I have to know what kind of industrie / shops/ factories/ or other things that need to be delivered with suplies...
The staging of the other company? I have to work on that too
So it is far from ready but it is a start so please have comments/critics on this "design/sketch

Jos

Jeff,

I just looked at your room plan. Any chance you could poke a hole through the side of your shelves and put staging in there.

Jos,

I like the way you put the yard under the bridge. In fact, I like the way that whole area works.

The upper area I don't know about. The reason I say that is that I'm not sure the W&P works in such dense industrial area. I know it is a small line and the B&P that I model at the club, a cousin of the W&P, works the smaller towns and industries that the Class 1's don't want to bother with. I would guess that dense area like you've drawn would be serviced by the big boys. (UP?) But this is all speculation based upon my experience and not upon anything I know for sure. I'll defer to Jeff on that.

On the other hand, it could be an interchange area.

Like always a very interesting plan that I would enjoy operating.

Hello Chip,

I could only "find" one picture of the" railroadneighbourhood"
This is why I made the tracks at least 5/6 feet long..afterwards it is always easier to design the tracks shorter...., so I have to go back to the "drawingroom" and try to make the tracks shorter and less dence , as you wrote, Thanks!

Jos

Hello Chip,

I could only "find" one picture of the" railroadneighbourhood"
This is why I made the tracks at least 5/6 feet long..afterwards it is always easier to design the tracks shorter...., so I have to go back to the "drawingroom" and try to make the tracks shorter and less dence , as you wrote, Thanks!

Jos

Before you make changes. let Jeff chime in. I know he has some prototype pictures.

Jos,

To give you an idea, last year the governor of our state came through in his own car. Look what B&P sent to pull it.

gov01.gif

gov03.gif

gov05.gif

Ha ha 2 worlds....and also 2 engines! Here in my country we could say: that's realy overkill.
#1 one instead of two engines
#2 Here he has to travel in a passengercar like we all do, maybe 1 class nothing more, nothing less..lol

The pictures you posted here, are they shown to let me "see" the small "scale" of the railroadcompany/traffic at that place, in Albany and the area north of it..?

Thanks for the pictures!! and I know now how your governor travels by train...

Jos

Howdy, I've been out of internet contact for the past week.... and wow!

Jos, that's quite a plan you've laid out there - I'm still amazed at the level of artwork you create quickly.

Chip: the shelves are pretty much inviolable - they store our camping gear and other stuff.

I did consider multiple levels a couple of times, but every time I did I ran into track going places, that you just knew would be derailment-prone, that were difficult to reach.

Jeff Shultz Thank you sir.

Chip just watch mr. Shultz website. I think on the end there is a picture of his garage/MRRroom with the shelves on the left...

Jos

Jeff's layout part 2

Made a biggger drawing with more details that could be on the layout and I designed the tracks a little more curved, so it looks more like the tracks from a "lokal" traincompany...Not like the great mainlines: streight through....
I know the container terminal is to small but there is much activity and the crane cann easily be changed by a vehicle( see attachment) that transports the containers from and to the the rrcars.Other words a Small scale container terminal;)
Heights are in cm!!( rough: 2,5 cm = 1 inch/ 30,5 cm = 1 feet

Jos

Back