Its been a while but im back!

mike8693

It has been forever since I have been on. I have made a little progress. About three months ago I tore down my old layout.Since then I have got my bench work done and most of my foam carved and base colors on. It is 8 by 10 with my workbench in the middle but due to space limitations you only see two sides but it saves me 1/2 the cost.:D It will look good though having a train disappear for a while before reappearing.

Most of the modelers and clubs have layouts that are 20 years of work and such a spider web of controls and switches it take years before you could even get a train to move and have no idea about dcc so the layout is simple since it is just me. It has 3 connected loops, an upper loop on the foam to be like a mountain route that will be mostly unseen when I get my trees up. There are two lower loops for my passenger trains.

I know the tunnel looks like crap but I'm going to put a retaining wall on it and a siding and factory backing up to it and it should look good. There will be a few more sidings with factories, passings, crossovers and a station/town. It is set in 60's Pennsylvania but due to budget restraints I am going more for realistic looking in my price range more than historical accuracy. I have had two other layouts but one was when I was 8 and the other I built in a week so this is my first attempt at a real layout. Its not great but its a start. It looks alot better in the pics but I have overhead fluorescents so its either tons of glare or dark pics.
GEDC0112.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think it looks fine, just keep plugging away at it. For scenery, your MUCH further then I am. I haven't even started yet (I'm not modeling hills and such, right now operations is in the front seat.)

Thanks, I have got more today than the last month. I have a fourth of all my track and road bed down . Ill get some pics up later.

Mike, at least you've got the benchwork down, some scenery in, and are starting to lay track. You're further along than a lot of us. :) Keep up the good work and the pictures.

Thanks. Ive gotten alot more done. I would of gotten alot more done but i ran out of roadbed and we had Hurricane Force winds here yesterday and everything is closed
and without power execept my house :D so school will be closed for a few days. Thankfully the only damage to our house was a tree fell on it but it only bent the corner of the roof down. At last count there was like 65,000 without power around me and like 5 deaths from falling trees. The biggest concerns are the open gas stations are now out of gas and many water districts like Jeffersonville IN is running on generators and water is limited. They say all power should be back up Sunday. Anyways back to trains :) .
GEDC0145.jpg

GEDC0146.jpg

GEDC0147.jpg

GEDC0149.jpg

GEDC0148.jpg

Back