Isaak's Bookshelf Railroad

eaolsen5

I started this layout a couple of years ago with my son when the only space available in the house was one wall in his small bedroom. So, we designed a bookshelf layout that only takes up 10" X 78" of floor space.

The priorities of the layout were:

1) To run multiple trains.

2) To have some fairly long runs.

3) To have a fairly strong vertical (mountainous) feel.

Here's what we've got so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpEbmkrNxf4

The layout is 24" X 78" in the long direction and the leg is 30" x 48". The power is standard DC with 3 power blocks. I would like to run DCC but I like the steam era too much. The bottom level can be run as a loop or as an "8". The upper loop can be run independently or as an "8" with the bottom loop which makes for a fairly long run. If I were to do this again I would increase the size in both directions by at least 6". Everything is very tight but I did what I could in the space I had to work with at the time.

Of course, next comes planning for scenery, buildings and bridges. I realize that I have gone about this somewhat backwards in that the track-plan was created without much consideration for topography or environment. I am sure that you have also noticed that there is little in the way of operations; I would like to add some sidings and bypass tracks if I can find the space. One option would be to put a small yard where the controls are but then I would need to find a place for the controls that works with the folding concept.

Anyway, if you have any ideas for topography, scenery (probably turn of the century) or adding operations they (along with any other comments would be welcomed).

Erik

That's really neat. The scenery will be tough, unless you glue the heck out of it. :)

I wouldn't worry about adding to much more to it, or it might get cluttered. It serves it purpose well, and that's important. Good call on the double crossover, I love mine so much I might have to pick up another.

Thanks

That's really neat. The scenery will be tough, unless you glue the heck out of it. :)

I wouldn't worry about adding to much more to it, or it might get cluttered. It serves it purpose well, and that's important. Good call on the double crossover, I love mine so much I might have to pick up another.

Adam-

Thanks for the complements and advice. The double crossover has been flawless and it saved my bacon in a very tight space.

Erik

I love that idea of the folding layout into a bookshelf, thats a really neat and creative way to save a heck of a lot of room!! :D

Layout's looking good too!!

Controller

I loved that "Jupiter" as it struggled on the grade. You could almost feel the drivers slipping........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpEbmkrNxf4

Great layout idea.

Oh yea, they're definately slipping. The Bachmann 4-4-0 would definatly benefit from some weight over the drivers. I think it would be a great challenge for the people at Bachmann to make a Spectrum version of this engine that is weighted correctly, has pickups on the drivers and is DCC ready.

It will actually make it up that grade in low speed but the controller I have on the upper track is such a POS that it is hard to find the right speed. I am considering getting an MCR Tech II dual controller for this layout.

Back