• Yes. My layout is too big

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Yes. I am reducing the size of my layout

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 10.0%

• Total voters
Too small!

My train room is a one-car garage that measures 12'x19' and the largest layout I can fit in it is a 13'x8' and still have room to move around. The pennisula layout that I want to build would take up a 13'x13' space. I have been trying to figure out how to shrink it down enough to build it in the space available.

Garage%20II.JPG

The above picture was taken after cleaning and painting. If it was a two-car garage, I would be a happy camper.

Here is the layout that I would like to build:
2006-06JackPlan.jpg

My layout is an 11' x 8' "L" shpae and is WAY too large to evedr be finished in my lifetime, based on the time I have to work on it. THe reash is also WAY too big and I had to cut out a pop up to reach everything.
Doc

I had to vote OTHER

babywaah.gif

Because I tore mine down

Cheers
Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
For H0 approx. 16x 23 feet, about 370 square feet including aisles.
I can operate it, sometimes with friends. What do I need more?

Wolfgang

I must have voted because I can see the count. I'm just now getting started. I say that knowing I'm two months into it and haven't completed the benchwork. Right now what I have is fine, but I have at least 3-4 phases of expansion that I could do if I get near completion of phase 1.

My layout is about 50% smaller than I would like....

It only covers one of the two branchlines I would have liked to include.
I am thinking about putting a second level in to cover the Cataract to Elora branch...

Will have to see though, because a helix would take up too much room.

Both of my layouts are too small in my opinion. I want to be able to do more with both, but I'm limited by space. The wife says they take up to much room, so I made the compromise.

By this reasoning I put "other"

Yes and No! (I know, there always has to be one! :rolleyes:)
The reasons I say both is because of mixed feelings. I love the very large size of my layout and it affords me wonderful operating opportunities, but fellows, it gets really expensive. Time is not a factor, as I am retired, but trying to build towns, industries, etc, and then detail them to the level of expertise that so many of you have shown in your postings, is astronomical in cost. Its sometimes frustrating to see your wonderful detailed towns and industries and realize that I will just have to wait awhile longer when the cash is at hand and when all the other priorities have been met.

When I returned to the hobby, I first thought that I would be over the capital expenditures once I purchased a command station, locomotives, track, and turnouts with control...wrong! The little items that you need so many of: figures, autos, telephone poles, trees, ballast, etc., are where the dollars go. How about all those industries to provide adequate switching. Then, there is the disease of gadgetry, " Wow! I have got to have signals, block detection, computer software, etc.)" and how about, "There is a little bit of room over there and I should be able to fit ......."

I will continue on and struggle through the cost by concentrating with detail in the areas most viewed, for now. Fortunately, the operations of my layout are so flexible and vast, I can enjoy that part of model railroading with complete satisfaction. AND hey, I chose this hobby and layout because I never want it to be finished. RIGHT? ;):)

Yes and No! (I know, there always has to be one! )
The reasons I say both is because of mixed feelings. I love the very large size of my layout and it affords me wonderful operating opportunities, but fellows, it gets really expensive. Time is not a factor, as I am retired, but trying to build towns, industries, etc, and then detail them to the level of expertise that so many of you have shown in your postings, is astronomical in cost. Its sometimes frustrating to see your wonderful detailed towns and industries and realize that I will just have to wait awhile longer when the cash is at hand and when all the other priorities have been met.

When I returned to the hobby, I first thought that I would be over the capital expenditures once I purchased a command station, locomotives, track, and turnouts with control...wrong! The little items that you need so many of: figures, autos, telephone poles, trees, ballast, etc., are where the dollars go. How about all those industries to provide adequate switching. Then, there is the disease of gadgetry, " Wow! I have got to have signals, block detection, computer software, etc.)" and how about, "There is a little bit of room over there and I should be able to fit ......."

I will continue on and struggle through the cost by concentrating with detail in the areas most viewed, for now. Fortunately, the operations of my layout are so flexible and vast, I can enjoy that part of model railroading with complete satisfaction. AND hey, I chose this hobby and layout because I never want it to be finished. RIGHT?

REX all my turnout are manual. Most of the stuff (scenery, rolling stock etc..) are recycle from my old layout. Signals are scratchbuilt with left over parts.
I don't think it will be ever finished but I learn along the way that less is more..

Hey Gang, I just added a new section to my layout. 2 ft by 8ft., but I voted Just the right size. So, I'm covered. LOL

I voted when this thread started my current layout is to small! So I tore down the layout and built a even smaller layout:eek::rolleyes:.... But I made the layout look bigger by Raising the viewing hight of the layout and adding more view blocks. Here's the Picture album of the madness: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/member.php?u=4575 You can see the old layout and the construction of the shiney new one:D

This is not a cheap hobby!LOL's

my layout is other

my layout is too small... expansionist border negotiaions have broke down... i am currently defending the safe zone (attic)and engaged in covert operations behind enemy lines for terratory in sector 1A (spare bedroom)... the occupying forces (wife and kids) are fortified,allied forces are being overwhelmed... it seems to be an unwinable war... if all attempts at recovering/defending terratory fail i will retreat back to sovoreign lands "garage loft" :p

That is why some people scratch build using cereal boxes.
and reclaim things used around the house for scenery.

That's me.:D

As for the layout, let's see...

Too large to make it look decent before I leave for WSU in a year...
Too large to scenic with Woodland $cenics supplies...
I know I'll say "Too Large" when I have to tear it down one day...

Too small to hold all of my rolling stock...:D

Just right to give my imagination an indoor playground.:)

I’ve been reading various magazine lately and visited some home layout and It got me thinking: “Is my layout too big”?
I have a spare bedroom in the basement and at one point I had plans to make it part of my “layout room” but not anymore.

Since I started to rebuilt and rejuvenate my layout I decided to stick with the same room and not to fill it completely with benchwork etc..
The main line is slightly longer then before but the layout occupies less space. It’s just better designed this time around.

So here’s the question:

Do you think your layout is too big?

Hope to see how your layout is coming along.

For me, time and maintenance are factors for the size of my layout, which is a shelf layout going around the walls of a 13ft X 12ft room. This works for me now, but would later, when I have more time for layout maintenance, consider a wider shelf layout not for track, but for more scenery. I like keeping it simple since I like modelling branchlines.

Back