is this cheating?

jabber1990

I am wondering if its "cheating" to run a modern layout and run modern locomotives just so that I can run outdated locomotives and outdated cars, and even run entire trains that are out-of-era?

I'm trying to get "back" into the hobby after a 10-year hiatus and now that I actually have some money now I know what I'd love to run and if I See something I'd like to run it

yes, I know that its my layout and I make the rules but at some point there has to be a fine line between being a dictator and just being stupid

Ahh, not sure I fully understand your question but do you mean, building a 2014 layout for 2014 engines and cars BUT also run older engines and cars?

If that is right, then heck no, why is that cheating? There are still places where you can ride a steam train today. Medina NY comes to mind as one.

Cheers,

You can run whatever you want, whatever makes you happy. However if you want stick to prototypes, then the steam trains should be designated as museum restoration trains on a modern layout.

Should you run a modern Autorack car with 40 ft box car? That would be not be recommended. Of course you could change eras during operations. Only run 1940s trains, then change it to only run the modern trains.

You can run whatever you want, whatever makes you happy. However if you want stick to prototypes, then the steam trains should be designated as museum restoration trains on a modern layout.

Should you run a modern Autorack car with 40 ft box car? That would be not be recommended. Of course you could change eras during operations. Only run 1940s trains, then change it to only run the modern trains.

why can't I run an Autorack with a 40' Boxcar?

maybe the company who loaded the 40' Boxcar owns it and can't afford a new boxcar...

...yes I'm being a troll at this point

I'd love to get some autoracks, they are just kinda pricy!

Yes, and you can get twice as many 40-foot cars on your track as you can 85-foot cars -- if that appeals to you.

Or will you have a huge layout? I have 36 inch radius curves (as a minimum) and they still would look funny with 85 foot long cars. At least to my eye.

Ya mean like running steam and diesel like this:

[video=youtube;X-A_89z3MHQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-A_89z3MHQ[/video]

I thought about using the same approach as you are. What I instead came up with is a complete reversal. I love the 1950's. I love the artistic styling of the advertisements, the cars, and the architecture. I also like the people and the way they dressed. Even though I was born in 1970, I grew up watching television shows that were older than me that my Dad liked. I have never even seen a steam engine actually running down the tracks, but I love them anyway because every show my Dad watched had one in it :D

But my reasoning is - these old buildings and stuff that are going to be on my layout... you see a lot of those still around today in the small towns and villages. How many steam engines do you see running around today? I too thought that the steam engines on my future layout could be a visit from a historical society or even Thomas the Train as he does visit the Indianapolis area. But on the other hand, to place diesels on a layout that has buildings from the 1940's and 50's... that won't look wrong at all. I actually think that would look more right than the other way around.

Anyway, I will have a 1950's era layout (some day), and the trains I run will be from whatever era I feel like seeing that day.

Ken... that is some collection of train stuff you got there buddy! My boy would be having a fit in your train room going "choo choo choo".

By Motley;

Because Autoracks were made in the 1990's to present. 40 ft. box cars were made in the 1930s, and were completely gone by the 1960s.

Forty foot boxcars were built until the 60's and lasted in revenue service into the 80's. I'm getting old but not that old!:)

I am wondering if its "cheating" to run a modern layout and run modern locomotives just so that I can run outdated locomotives and outdated cars, and even run entire trains that are out-of-era?

I'm trying to get "back" into the hobby after a 10-year hiatus and now that I actually have some money now I know what I'd love to run and if I See something I'd like to run it

yes, I know that its my layout and I make the rules but at some point there has to be a fine line between being a dictator and just being stupid

Do whatever you like -- you don't need anyone's permission. But knowledgeable visitors may be a little confused.

The heck with the "knowledgeable" modelers. My Dad had a saying that I've always followed, "Its my Railroad, and I'll run it anyway I damn well please!" Now I've picked a cutoff year and such, but that doesn't mean you have to. I'm modeling what, when and where I want. That's very much in keeping with what his philosophy was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jabber I have a simular desire in my return to the hobby with a small exception. I love the 1920's - 1930's generally the end of steam . I also enjoy the 30's through the end of WW2. The rolling stock is much the same, with smaller, much smaller stuff when you get early in the 20's. My budget is small, my room is medium plus, 12x17 plus another 3x8 across an isle. Not to bad. Not wanting the "big time" I'm going for a woody hanging on feel, with two sets of motive power. Little desmiles and small steam. The biggest locos will be (are) a 2-8-0 in the earlier era, and a couple of Alco RS-2's with a smattering of other switchers in the later era. Almost like having 2 layouts.

My previous interests accomodated a 36+ in mainline with Challengers heading the 15 car passenger train and E7's or E9's pulling the same, cars heavyweights or streamliners. Don't want to do that again. 3 Car passenger trains behind a 4-4-0 or maybe a 4-4-2, or ocassionally behind a freight Mogel. Lots of scenery and fun, mountain industries and much less track than you might suppose.

The moral of my story, and advice to you is do what you want. I saw a movie of a UP Challenger pulling a 137 car freight, mostly the long auto racks across Wyoming in the last couple of years, in revenue service! That Challenger has never been de-certified. Or maybe it was 844.... no dismel helpers either just steam thundering across the plains! Do what you want! (It was 844 in 2011, it's on youtube). The narriator said it would have taken at least 4 modern 6 axel units to acomplish the same task.

My theme is mid 1950's up to an end date of 1968. Buildings and vehicles and the trains all reflect nothing newer than that.
However I do like factory demonstrator engines and have an EMD GP60 and SD60 among others. I also have a half dozen or so steam engines, even a Y6b Mallet. I run the demos and steamers whenever I want a change of pace. I also have several trolleys that I run every so often without so much as one inch over overhead wire. What I do not have or collect is rolling stock that would have been built past my 1968 cut off date. If any visitor wants to count rivets there is a bridge nearby they can go to and count to their heart's content. When they're done they can jump off it. ;)

Back