Is N-Scale Model Railroading Getting Better?

Thanks JD for the great information. As I'm trying to decide whether or not to start out with DCC or DC. Choosing DCC I would want to use a product that is good to go from the start. Sounds fun! And thats exactly what it is all about.
Bill

I started a small N scale layout in the late 70's when I got out of the service. i was living in an apartment so it was rather small and could be slid underneath a bed. When I finally moved home to Montana, I had a basement and incorporated my small layout into a layout with over 11 scale miles of main line track, plus branch line track. This was in the late 70's. I was really disappointed in the running qualities of the locomotives at the time. For the most part, they were miserable, with a few exceptions. A couple of Trix locomotives were decent.

I ended up ripping everything out and moved on to HO scale. It was hard to give up such a layout, but without dependable locomotives, it was really frustrating.

Today, the quality of N scale locomotives are fantastic to what I had back years ago. There is a group of local N scalers that have a modular layout they put on display at various locations and I was amazed not only at the detail, but they ran so smoothly and the availability of different road names that were now available was great.

If locomotives like this were available back then I would probably still be in N scale. I am now happy that I did switch to HO scale though as the old eveballs aren't as good as they used to be.

Thanks for the shared information JD. I appreciate the knowledge and help. I'll look into those the next time out to the hobby shop. Bill

Back