Is N-Scale Model Railroading Getting Better?

brooksie

I just wanted to bounce a few observations around with brethren N-Scalers.
I started into N-Scale in 1980. Like 21st Century newcomers, I was attracted to the large amount of railroading in a small space and the great mechanical aspect of the tiny locomotives. There were only two hobby shops in the area I live in, but they were rather well stocked and friendly to give advise and could order anything you wanted via the Walthers Catalog and the phone. The was no internet for supposed ease of buying. Heck, there were not many fax machines for placing orders. Atlas, Con-Cor and the new kids, Kato, would release a new diesel locomotive once or twice a year. What steam locomotives that were available were notoriously hard to run and maintain and did not play well with the new track sizes coming available. Bachman and Model Power built throw away stuff and buildings were limited to very few American prototypes. Kit bashing Heljan stuff was the norm. HO had all the cool stuff, but I was OK with N Scale because of the way it fit my MRR needs. I built my first layout on a card table and developed my skills. It wasn't very prototype, but it was fun.
In the 1990's, I was away from being active for a few lean years and started back up the year I bought my house with a basement. I built three fairly ambitious layouts, one being fairly large in N Scale terms with the ambition of basement world dominance: 13' x 8' dual main line loop with a functioning wye for further expansion. Times were good. I accumulated tons of good quality rolling stock and locomotives. Building kits were improving and my old cornerstone structures had become very convincing line structures and background buildings. Walthers started making their great series of N Scale buildings and tons of manufacturers were making all sorts of things that began to rival (sort of) HO.
I had reached my third layout at the home in 2000. Product availability was good and the internet really began to take over the market place. Purchasing and research were never easier but hobby shops began to die off. The legendary "End Of Track" Hobbies in Franklin Park, Illinois closed around 2005, marking the end of a golden era. (They had the most gigantic, well detailed N Scale layout you could imagine-worth the two hour ride through Chicago traffic).
In 2008 the flood came. I was very much an N Scale Noah, saving as much as I could. Luckily, I had just disassembled my track from the layout and moved the locomotives to what proved to be one of the only safe spots from water: the attic. My Titanic train board/storage cabinet survived the deluge, but all the track (enormous amounts of Code 80 with ground throw turn outs) and all the buildings were destroyed by water and the resulting foundation collapse. Many of my locomotives were also wrecked. My rolling stock, while VERY damaged, was for the most part salvageable. I took my little box of engines and retreated from my subterranean empire to my exile upstairs while massive reconstruction took place. All the while, I eye-balled the "new" construction of the basement with railroad friendly in mind. I began to pick up a few bits of track for experimenting with and developed of track plan for the slow job of getting track space back from Mrs.
This past week I took out the engines and the few new bits of railroad hope I had stored away on the high ground. I made room in the basement storage where they could be accessed but draw no attention (plain, unmarked storage containers). I took out my well worn track plan and started to open boxes.
Now days, you really have great internet resources. Heck, I can Google stuff on my phone for info on the road. I can buy things easier (at no risk, right Target customers?) and research the daylights out of things. You Tube and the others provide direct access to amazing layouts made by a large group of Model Railroaders. There are still only two hobby shops in the area, which stock barely any N Scale. HO equipment still dominates, rightfully. The surviving hobby shops have learned to diversify and get involved with clubs that promote the hobbies they deal in. Atlas and Kato still release painfully small amounts of good equipment. Bachman and Model Power have locomotive lines that rival the big boys. Con-Cor is all but gone (why is there still such small amounts of good running steam available?). Building kits are still pretty much the same but the smaller companies with unique structures have added tons of prototypical structures to play with. Walthers has made a large amount of generic American prototypes available for easy modification. N Scale track has never seen such variety (which is good or bad depending). Atlas track is unavailable for the most part (tragic). Things seem to have changed but remain the same. I still feel like part of an underground movement of a Model Railroad N-Scale faction waiting for the technological nirvana to catch up with our needs and imagination.
I am interested in hearing your story, whether it be 40 years in N-Scale (sounds like a prison movie) or just getting started.
You long termers: what changes, good and bad, have you noticed?
You new comers: what innovative things do you see for N-Scale?
What do you think of the effect of technology on the hobby?
What will be needed to sustain the hobby?
What will be needed to make it grow?
I'd really like to keep it N-Scale focused since the other scales have their own issues!
Jump in...share your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my first N scale equipment in 1970. I endured all of the common problems that all N scalers went through and just hoped that things would get better. There was a little glimmer of hope after I bought a Lifelike GP38 in 1989. That engine actually ran very well compared to my other stuff. Then things changed due to the economy and we moved back to Illinois from Arizona and model railroading took a backseat to Life.

After about 20 years, the old bug bit again and I started slowly back in the hobby. Of course my fate was sealed after finding this site. The folks here have played a large part in my plunge back into the water. I'm not complaining, by any means!

So far, my involvement has been limited to buying new equipment because the room that I get to use needs to be remodeled first. And then there is the ongoing absence of Atlas code 55 track!!! But I tend to be patient, a plus when dealing with N scale, and am looking forward to building my CB&Q empire based on the track between Galesburg and Beardstown, IL.

Even the waiting is enjoyable because I've built some laser-cut building kits and have installed DCC decoders and have used a small oval of track to program CV's. Things have changed a GREAT deal but for the most part they have been for the best.

One thing that I am certain about is that N scale is not getting any easier to work with, and the ability to deal with the microscopic N scale components is inversely related to ones age. This time around I personally opted for On30. This allows me to have HO space requirements and O scale components to deal with. Gotta love being able to actually mill scale lumber and not have to use tweezers to assemble things. :cool:
I gotta agree. It is not getting easier. But I did pull out my Rivarossi Mallet and pulled the gear boxes apart to repair damage wheels and rods and actually fixed the thing after it has sat for almost 10 years. I haven't had to pull out the magnifiers, yet. Electrical test show the thing is ready to run.

I bought my first N scale equipment in 1970. I endured all of the common problems that all N scalers went through and just hoped that things would get better. There was a little glimmer of hope after I bought a Lifelike GP38 in 1989. That engine actually ran very well compared to my other stuff. Then things changed due to the economy and we moved back to Illinois from Arizona and model railroading took a backseat to Life.

After about 20 years, the old bug bit again and I started slowly back in the hobby. Of course my fate was sealed after finding this site. The folks here have played a large part in my plunge back into the water. I'm not complaining, by any means!

So far, my involvement has been limited to buying new equipment because the room that I get to use needs to be remodeled first. And then there is the ongoing absence of Atlas code 55 track!!! But I tend to be patient, a plus when dealing with N scale, and am looking forward to building my CB&Q empire based on the track between Galesburg and Beardstown, IL.

Even the waiting is enjoyable because I've built some laser-cut building kits and have installed DCC decoders and have used a small oval of track to program CV's. Things have changed a GREAT deal but for the most part they have been for the best.

I agree. The time between doing things and waiting for stuff to come is giving me time to really streamline my plan, something I had issues with in the past and never really finished a layout. Being more patient will help me this time through.
You are right about this forum. The members seem to have that hobby shop feel and are really helpful. Central Illinois and the Illinois Valley are two of my favorite areas because of the surprising landscape and enduring history of the area. Thanks for sharing.

I started back in 93. We bought an N scale Bachman Jupiter set to run around our very small Christmas tree. All I had was a circle of track and train. The power pack didn't even have a speed control on it. Even so, I was hooked into the hobby. I started going to hobby shops and even drove 70 miles to Indianapolis (where I now live) and visited a couple shops there frequently.

I started reading magazines and books for inspiration and education about the hobby. I learned how to build models and dioramas. I even read about hand laying track. So I bought some code 55 rail, some ties, and spikes and started building dioramas. I figured out I could make trees out of twisted wire. I never saw anyone do this back then. I didn't have the internet or anything. I just figured it out one day when I was playing with some wire while manning a yard sale with my girlfriend. A lady showed up and offered me a bunch of money for my trees and I reluctantly sold her a few of the larger ones. Now I see a lot of people actually use this method and make some very nice trees.

I was hooked on the level of realism I could achieve with the hand laid track and everything else I was sourcing from the hobby shops I frequented. I bought a couple signals that came on a laser cut sheet of brass the size of a business card. The ladders on them are so thin it made it quite the task to assemble and solder them together. I wadded one of them up twice and threw it in the trash out of frustration. I dug it back out after I cooled off and finished it the next day. They are my coolest pieces. And now I can't even find the box where I put them. And I can't find the company that sold them so I can buy more. I assume they are no longer made because nothing I see offered comes close to the quality of these pieces.

I also bought some Gloor Craft model kits, who are no longer in business. Their kits were craftsman kits and I had a blast putting them together. I wish they would start producing models again. The quality of some things seems to have gotten better over the years, but the availability of some higher quality items seems to have faded along with it. There are still a lot of craftsman kits out there. Some of the laser cut kits are nice. But in my opinion, these wood kits look too "perfect". The lines are a tad too straight. The corners are too sharp. And in my opinion, the prices are too high. I have worked in the manufacturing industry for years. I am a skilled CNC machinist and programmer of 5 axis machines with nearly 20 years experience. So I know what it takes to produce this stuff down to the nickel. And I think the cost is keeping a lot of younger guys out of this hobby. I make decent money and I can barely afford it.

As far as technology and the future of this great hobby, I forsee the 3D printing technology will take off in a very big way within the next few years. It's affordable now by those elite modelers that want to create one of a kind pieces. I plan to buy one very soon. When the technology gets better, as it always does, model kits will begin to get even more detailed. Right now, only the plastic versions of these printers are affordable by the general population. Metal printers won't be affordable for awhile yet, but it will happen some day that anyone can buy one. I can see this technology boosting this hobby to some extent by peaking the interest of a younger generation of modelers. The cost of kits may start to come back down even. Or, the level of detail may justify a higher premium. It's hard to say. But I really do think they will have a very big impact on things to come.

Let me see ????? yes N scale is getting alot better but not cheaper that is for sure! I remember in the late sixty's going to Two Guys dept store and while my parents shopped I would be digging thur the model railroad stuff looking for "N scale" !!! only to have people laugh at me ! N scale what is that !!!,even the girl I was dating laughed ( Her dad was a H.O.guy)
But I stood by my N scale thur thick and thin and in that case for "Better or for worse"

Granted we lack alot of things but not many and I'm happy I stood my ground! while the "Other" guys have alot more stuff,we N scalers can do alot more in less space and I think it look's alot better,just my two cents.
N

Short version....
I used to work on a friend's layout when I was a kid. Always enjoyed MRR and due to my other hobby (racing vintage dirt bikes) being too expensive, my wife encouraged me to find something new. I dove in and bought a small layout 2'x3' last summer. It was junk, but taking it apart helped me learn.

Now I'm working on my first layout 4'x6' and love every minute of it. Sometimes I feel like the questions I ask are dumb, but the people here have been super helpful and have taught me a bunch of cool stuff. I have nothing to compare the modern expenses to, so everything for me is just budgeted without complaints. I get what I can, when I can. Which is especially difficult now, since I haven't had a steady job since last July. I'm in school for computer programming and graphic design, so hopefully I can get more goodies after graduation.

My only real concern with the hobby is the age of other enthusiasts. No offense intended guys, but I'm pretty young (34) for the hobby compared to the people I've seen in stores and at shows. I don't know what the hobby will be like in 5-10-20 years, so I'm doing my best to not worry about it and just enjoy my own little 4'x6' slice of heaven.

My first train was a Lionel 3rail, Christmas morning, around the tree of course. The in my mid teens I got into Half-of-nothing, aka HO. I dabbled in a tiny bit of American Flyer S. When my kids were old enough (in the mid 80s) I tried some cheap HO and the couplers were so bad(**&*&^$%&^* and very limited space, I stopped into a hobby shop in Ann Arbor. I bought a passenger set with a E60, pass cars, track & power-supply/throttle and a F7 & a few freight cars.

Having made train tables using plywood at first, then some weird building stuff, I decided to make something better. That is when I started making train table tops of peg board topped with Styrofoam panels. I lined up 1x4s and built the frame to match the top. I still use some of the same tables today, even after several tables moves!

I have a couple really cheap Yugoslavian made locos that still run surprisingly good. I still have and run, once in a while, my original Bachman E60, only now it has DCC. Last spring I had my son help me move the whole set of tables back downstairs so I can have easy access. Since I had to rewire everything after the move I looked into converting to DCC. I have converted over 100 locos, a few are just not DCC material. I plan to keep parts of my layout switchable between DC & DCC.

Buildings are a issue to me, many of the good older buildings I can not find new/again. I am sure glad I bought 2 of the train station kits to make my extended veranda station and painted it to match the local RR station.

Loco quality has vastly improved over the past couple decades, especially Kato!
Prices are up UP UP but I guess that is to be expected. DCC is a huge improvement over DC.

JD

...My only real concern with the hobby is the age of other enthusiasts. No offense intended guys, but I'm pretty young (34) for the hobby compared to the people I've seen in stores and at shows. I don't know what the hobby will be like in 5-10-20 years, so I'm doing my best to not worry about it and just enjoy my own little 4'x6' slice of heaven.

Most people enter this hobby as a child. Then when they get older they want something to do with their time. I assume retirement is pretty darned boring as I am only 43. Anyway, having tasted this hobby in their youth they come back to it when they are older and wiser and realize they can make something very cool with their old toys... a layout. Men like to create things. That spirit never dies.

I fall into this same category. And if you watch the "Introduce Yourself" forum you will see 99% of the people signing up are "coming back" into the hobby again after a time away from it. I think the hobby is just as alive now as it ever was. Thomas the Train is so popular with the kids it has revived the passion in their fathers (just like me). And if you look on YouTube, there are a lot of younger people there building layoiuts and sharing what they have learned. You didn't have that even 15 years ago. So fear not. I think you will always have plenty of people to talk to about this great hobby of ours.

Pretty cool stuff guys! I failed to mention the 1940's Lionel that my folks had around the Christmas tree, like many others. I was hooked at an early age, too. Just took awhile to have the funds and space to indulge. These are great histories and thoughts, keep 'em coming!

With the recent announcement of the GMD1 with factory sound I'd have to say N scale is alive and kicking like never before!

Wider selection today, if you've got the time and money. No matter what scale you're in, it's most an old man, small kid hobby right now. Too early to tell whether Thomas will reverse this trend. I'm going on 52, and even I am one of the younger guys in a lot of settings. Locomotives are generally more powerful, but also more expensive. Although n requires less space, modern equipment requires larger curves and switches. I do thing average modeling skills are higher, which I think is great for photography.

Just an example of how Thomas has influenced me and my kids... Had my boy not been into Thomas, I would not have dug out my old train stuff at this point in my life. It's really not the ideal time to be building a layout for me. I am like I said, 43 years old. We have a houseful of kids that are going to destroy my models on a daily basis. I always knew someday I would pick this hobby back up. But it probably would have been a bit later in my life. That being said, I think my renewed interest at this point in my boy's life will have a more profound impact on his interest in the hobby.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

I find n-scale much better than it was 15 years ago when I had to box this hobby up and put it in storage. Just recently did I finally come back to the hobby and have been amazed at all the stuff that has changed. DCC was just getting started when I left, now it is almost the norm. Sound is now available onboard, not seen 15 years ago. I am now 45 and my niece was really into Thomas stuff and like NScaler, I wouldn't be back today if it wasn't for her. Niece and her father lived with me for a couple of years. My only hangup now with n-scale is that it is so damned small. Smaller than I remember for sure. I'm actually contemplating HO or On30 just to work with something bigger but still on the fence over it. I have lots of HO and N stuff I have collected over the years so I can go either way when I get to building. I am still messing with layout designs for a 11.5 x 12 room now. I do have to say I LOVE all the stuff you can do in a small space though. This is the thing that got me into n-scale in the first place some 30 years ago.

. We have a houseful of kids that are going to destroy my models on a daily basis. I always knew someday I would pick this hobby back up. But it probably would have been a bit later in my life. That being said, I think my renewed interest at this point in my boy's life will have a more profound impact on his interest in the hobby.

About a month ago my grandson (6yr old) was running a train on my layout. He said to me, grampa! It's smoking! Well I killed the power pronto, and in time to save the loco from the death of many electrical/electronic devices, ie they all run on SMOKE and if you let all the smoke out, it never works again.

Train preservation..... I recently added an angled raised boarder around the outer edges of my layout, so if a speeding loco derails, it would not go falling into the deep deep caverns (floor) for a hard landing. I do not usually let him run the prides of my fleet, unless I am really really close and alert. BTW the loco he managed to get to smoke w/o a smoke unit (diesel anyway) was a very old inexpensive Menho(?) made in Yugoslavia. actually a cheapo & not a bad running loco, not to mention ancient age.

I see model railroading as a multi-faceted opportunity to teach young ones to treat them (trains) NICE and be RESPONSIBLE, not to mention the inter-personal relationship. Yes, things do and will happen.

Now I dare anyone tell me THEY never crashed or derailed a loco or train. I did it once just last week, to my new Kato pocket-line freight no less. I hit the DC throttle on my mountain loop the wrong way and a loco left the track and 2 cars fell down to a lower level on my layout. disclaimer; No Kato train equipment was damaged, they took a minor beating and kept on ticking, once the monster-crane (me) got them back on the track, right.

I have two keywords (for everyone), think opportunity & precaution.

JD

Nicely put JD. I know while at work my layout will be at the mercy of the toddlers my wife is going to start baby sitting real soon. So I am building my layout a tad bit higher than I would like, to keep little hands below the top of the layout. My plan is to build an observation deck for the young ones. But our fireplace is going to make for the perfect step for them to get high enough to grab some trees. I just can't wait to come home and find a ball where one of my scratch-built structures used to be. Now that I think about it... layout behind glass. Yeah, that's what I am going to build LOL.

Toddlers are the next generation of Model Railroaders in the making. Get some less expensive engines for them to run like slot cars and they will be hooked forever!
The real issue I see in the immediate future is the lack of track. It is really pitiful. Shortages of Microtrain conversions. Hobby shops don't even try to stock current items. The internet is great but I like to see trains run, like when I was a kid. That got me really into it when I was a sprout.
Plus, the price of building kits is gone through the roof since I did my hobby Rip Van Winkle. Kits that were $20.00 5 years ago going for $39 for example. Pitiful! I still love it but it will take a ton of $$$ to make a decently detailed railroad, if you can even find what you need.
With all that bawling done, I still love it.

1st train: Lionel set my dad got for me when I was 7 years old. Ran it as often as I could until I was 15 when we moved out of that house. Boxed up the set and never really got it going again.

2nd train: Set up a simple HO oval set in a spare bedroom in my first apartment when I got my first job. Just a little something to enjoy by myself.

3rd train: I built the same layout I'm doing now 28 years ago when my kids were real small. I just built the mainline track and not a single rail of yard work. I didn't do the double track on the lower return loop either. It was just the basic mainline as shown in that plan book. That was in 1985-86. Used DC and block sectioning and could only ran one train at a time. I had the trains running pretty well and enjoyed it quite a bit. When life went upside down and had to move, I had to tear it down. The equipment seemed pretty shoddy compared to what's out there now. Anybody remember those couplers and how badly out of scale they looked? I will say, though, that the switches were pretty well made. I'm using the same slip switch on my current layout that I had on this older one from almost 30 years ago. The regular switches still work now as well.

I started a couple of other layouts in the years between then and now, but nothing ever really got going.

Currently have completed everything trackwise on my current layout but haven't started the scenery/landscaping. I'm very impressed with the equipment... the Kato locos are outstanding in terms of quality and performance, in my opinion...much better than the equipment of 28 years ago. Smooth-running and reliable...great stuff. This is the layout I've wanted to do for many many years and I enjoy it every day. Absolutely love DCC...running 2 or 3 trains at the same time with the wireless controller is both a challenge and a joy watching the trains run past and over and under each other. Gotta keep a sharp eye though to be sure the switches are all set correctly.

Curiously enough, my current project started Christmas 2 years ago when my wife bought me an HO scale set to more or less go around the tree. I set it up and watched it go round and round and eventually started thinking about going back to N scale and recreating what I'd started all those years ago. So, whenever she pouts about me spending so much time in the garage working on my trains, I remind her that it's her fault that I'm doing this since she got me started!

JD, I'm new to the hobby and noticed you have converted more locos than I'll probably ever own, so I have to ask; What DCC system components would you recommend?
Thanks, Bill

For MOST DCC conversions I like the Digitrax DN-136D. It fits fine in most Nscale locos, even many narrow bodied SD & GP types. The cost is a factor for me, plus since they use a wiring harness one can plug & unplug the decoder at will, sharing them among several locos. nce the harness is installed no need to solder or unsolder the siring etc. I also have DCC-DUMMY plugs I can insert into a loco for DC use. I also made a test dummy with wire leads for track and motor so I can test for opens and shorts before inserting a real working DCC decoder. I just converted a old Kato made ConCor PA1 tonight. It was a NOS, New Old Stock and runs GREAT. .............................................................................................................................For my DCC system, the part that powers and runs everything is a Digitrax Zephyr Xtra. I do have a few locos with TCS decoders etc, but I can program them the same as I would a loco with a Digitrax DCC decoder. The Digitrax manuals are not the greatest but the system is expandable with features like transponding etc I probably will never use. The biggest problem with DCC is it can be VERY ADDICTIVE!

I only have one N-scale Christmas train set, Bachmann's Spirit of Christmas steam passenger train, it runs great and it's my wife's favorite. I bought the N scale set because it was the only set that would fit on the small table we have in the basement corner for one of our Christmas trees. I have since bought 2 more locomotives from eBay, Model Power Chessie diesels and they run great too!

My true love is Lionel O gauge, but I also enjoy HO because I always had HO Christmas trains and DCC is fascinating. I can see the reasons people model in N-scale and I would too, but my hands are past their prime and I enjoy working on my trains as much as I do running them. I could see the day if we move to a smaller place (easier to maintain) I would model in N scale, but it would have to be all new equipment and anything in need of repair would have to be sold or given away. I recently bought an On30 Bachmann Christmas Trolley set and that little baby is beyond cool!

I think all scales are great. If I had the space I would have G-scale as well. My grandsons have G scale Lionel Polar Express sets and I think they are great too. I have been trying to talk my wife into buying a warehouse, but I am not having much luck on that front. but a man can dream.

I missed this thread first time it came around. I am glad it has been revived because it's great to read the histories of the other modelers railroads.

Thanks everybody for taking the time to write your post, I enjoy reading them.

Back