Is Interest In Model Railroading Dwindling?

DJtrains

I'm not a fanatic toy train collector but every Christmas season I find myself buying and playing with vintage Lionel trains again. For me it's mostly remembering my childhood and calling back those old secure and happy feelings of yesteryear.

So every year starting in November till about February I'm online posting pictures and comments on several model railroading forums. But I've noticed a major downturn in activity this year. Maybe it's partly due to the recent election? Maybe many are still rejoicing or sulking over the results? Or is the basic desire to do model railroading sort of dwindling?

I'd like to hear from those of you who are heavy into the hobby. What are you seeing? Is the hobby gradually heading south, so to speak?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interest/activity on virtually all the general, or more "popular", model railroading websites (I don't know the situation regarding Lionel/Flyer trains sites) I visit has been slowly declining for a number of years now. Current traffic on the most active sites is no where near what it was 5-6 years ago and neither is the quality in general of the posts.

I honestly think that the novelty of discussing at least scale model trains on-line is waning, plus I see fewer and fewer truly experienced hobbyists posting. Perhaps this was not unexpected as something new always initially generates greater interest.

I will note, however, that a few of the really advanced/serious model railroading sites that I frequent have not suffered any such decline. In fact, participation there has been slowly increasing with time.

NYW&B

Good post. Thanks

I can see where many factors are at work here. The economy perhaps being one of the major ones.

I got my first train set in 1958 or 59. Back in those days most kids I knew didn't own an electric train and the ones who did really didn't get into building a fancy setup. Mostly they set it up on the floor or they had a piece of 4x8 plywood with a figure 8 layout. It was rare to see a couple of store bought buildings.

Things change. I even recall when every boy wanted cap guns. Now many would be happier with a doll LOL.
Today most kids don't relate at all to trains. They do however relate to things like "Super Hero" stuff, computers, and cell phone texting (and things we can't mention).

Due to my job I know a lot of people. I'm the only one who ever actually sets up a train set. I know several who have trains packed away in boxes they haven't even seen in years. But I have heard there are a few out there somewhere.

My guess is the serious collector/users are mostly over 50 (with some exceptions due mostly to a family member's influence).

Personally I think the railroad will return someday to America (need for mass transit). Then there should be a revival of widespread interest in model railroading.

All things fade in time. The saying is, "Tempus edax rarum", or 'time is voracious." It devours everything.

I haven't been in the hobby any length of time, but it doesn't take an Einstein to understand that populations find amusements and leave others behind. However, because of the geometric progression, the mathematical term for the rate at which our population as a species is growing, any one passtime is likely to retain a critical mass of people engaged in it. What may change is the way the hobby works or looks. For example, and I have stated this many times as an opinion, steam locomotives will become an increasingly hard sell. As each successive generation moves away from steam, the relative numbers of denizens in the hobby who are sufficiently interested in steam to keep it more than a niche market will get smaller relative to those who are more intensely interested in the nostalgia that THEY develop for the way railroading looked in their youth...or in what it looks like in the day, in modern times.

However, it is a well-established and well supported industry, the bunch of them that supply modellers of all kinds, not just railroading. As long as there are 200 ton locomotives concussing the air with 4000 hp prime movers thrumming across road crossings at notch 6, you can expect quite a few men, not women, to get a thrill. Later, when they come across the hobby, or when they recall their own introduction by their fathers, they'll come around.

Finally, the activity on forums is a poor predictor of the state of the hobby. Many still don't have computers, don't want to sit at them to post, have busy lives, prefer their grandchildren and trains, or otherwise have seasonal work, such as raking leaves, winterizing mowers and weed whacker, and so on. I have seen intense periods of activity on forums I frequent, and a week later there is almost no one posting.

Also a great post, Crandell.

There is diversity in every hobby and toy trains are no exception.

I'd fit more under the toy collector category. My liking vintage 0 gauge Lionel trains is definitely a psychological thing. Almost like taking a time machine trip back to my childhood.

In fact I'm currently working on a small 4x8 table setup that will feature in mini all the houses we have lived in since we were married some 41 years ago. Since my family has always loved the Christmas season the whole setup will be a winter scene at Christmas time. Along the track will be mini versions of the houses of our life together.

But others love real trains and they seek to mimic the real world as much as possible. I can appreciate that but I don't have the time or inclination for that sort of thing.

The thrill is gone?

I have ridden on the "Phoebe Snow", the Erie Railroad express, the 20th Century Limited, the Denver Zephyr (when it was CBQ). I grew up on the Hudson River and when we were little kids we would ride our bikes down to the river to watch the New York Central traffic; we could spend hours!
I have eaten good meals in dining cars, watched the plains go by in a dome car, slept in a room, and a roomette. I have lived within spitting distance (literally) of the BN main line just outside Whitefish, Montana. I have ridden the Durango Silverton, and other scenics rails.

Kids don't get to do this stuff anymore, and their fathers didn't either, and as Grandpa faces away, so do the whistles.

Both of my grandchildren love my model railroad (NYC Hudson Division) but neither of them will experience the real thing, unless our government finally wakes up and invests in high speed rail.

Too bad.

Papa Bens in Houston is half the size it once was, and everything is special order. Lots of other retailers are going or gone. Then what will we do?

I know what you mean, bjpmtravis87. I'm 64 and the train ran by our house. I still remember seeing steam engines as occasionally they ran one through our area. I was so little then and the train looked about 10 stories high. :D

I rode on a passenger train once in my life. It was the last passenger to go from Grand Haven, Michigan to Holland, Michigan (ca. 1954). But I still remember the clickety-clack.

But a modern super version will one day return. The rising price of gas and lowering standard of living in this country will bring back this form of mass transit.

Hard to judge form online forum traffic - I mean, how many times can you debate plywood versus Homasote versus foam? Gets to be a waste of time wading through rehashed topics. That's not just MRR forums though - I've seen that in a number of areas.

LHSs have been closing for several years. Maybe that's because of the rise of web marketing instead of actual decline in interest. (Also debated ad nauseum in various forums.)

Also of note is the post-9/11 atmosphere. Around here, you can darn near get arrested for just hanging out by the tracks - not like my childhood when I could (ahem) climb into pulpwood gons on a siding next to my grandparents' farm. Might be spooking some potential railfans away and thus less interest in modeling.

And kids these days seem to be much more interested in video / computer games than modeling anything IME.

Meh, time will tell and meanwhile I will continue to work on my HO shelf switcher. LOL!

That is a very good question. I see a lot of posts from people who are new to the hobby looking for advice all of the time. This shows interest in the hobby. On the other hand, there are a number of us old farts, who like you grew up actually riding on trains. I have relatives who worked for both the Northern Pacific and Milwaukee Road and was lucky enough to have had the opportunity to ride in the cabs of Steamers, diesels and electric locomotives. This is what spurred my interest in the hobby. Not many of us have had this opportunity. But we are getting older, and will at one time or another no longer be in the hobby. I know of a lot of great modelers who have unfortunately passed on. Also with our present economy, many of us don't have the funds to put into the hobby that we had in the past. I know my kids aren't interested in getting into the hobby, and even though my grand kids like to come and run trains on my layout, all of the new electronics seem to interest them a lot more than getting involved in a hobby such as Model railroading. Again, excellent question.

Right on, Beachbum.

And a lot has changed since 9/11, that's for sure.

You're right too about the computer thing. It almost seems that every kid over 8 in this town has a "Smart Phone" and all sorts of computer game gimmicks. Even most families on welfare have computers and some type of cell these days.

That's just what we found with our grandkids, montanan.

They like messing with trains a bit but soon they're on the Wii. The trains aren't competition and kids today love competition as long as it's computer based. The more violent the better.

We grew up dreaming of things that related to the real world. Too many kids today dream of things Sci-Fi (in my opinion).

I'll bet there could be a growing interest in model RRing in china. Their standard of living is increasing. Alot of things about china are increasing.

There are so many smart phone zombies walking around at the same time their faces and fingers are glued to their phones.....and they bump into buildings and people and as they creep along....doing whatever it is they do on there. Just watching smart phone zombies stumbling may become a new pass time. :)

Mike

It's hard for me to gauge because I only started 6 years ago, but to me it feels like the hobby is very strong and healthy. These model railroad forums (and there are many of them) are full of people posting photos and updates of there model railroading adventures. The quality and availability of model railroad products leads me to believe the market.is very healthy and large. Kids may be more interested in video games, but at times they are playing trains with their dads and those experiences will carry over when they are older and of prime model railroading age. Certain segments are dwindling like the local hobby shop but now there are hundreds of online retailers; the model railroad clubhouse may be dwindling, but far more people have layout rooms and participate in modular clubs.

My two cents.

Greg Amer
The Industrial Lead
gregamer.com

I'll bet there could be a growing interest in model RRing in china. Their standard of living is increasing. Alot of things about china are increasing.

There are so many smart phone zombies walking around at the same time their faces and fingers are glued to their phones.....and they bump into buildings and people and as they creep along....doing whatever it is they do on there. Just watching smart phone zombies stumbling may become a new pass time. :)

Mike

You're right about China. In fact, Americans selling antiquities, art, and many other areas are now targeting China. There's a lot of money there now in certain locations. Back when I was a super seller on ebay I pretty much gave up on the U.S. because of the economy. What I sold in the U.S. mostly went to California.

The smart phone zombies are sometimes funny and sometimes a pain in the butt. One rear-ended my daughter one day and totaled her car plus messed her up.

It's hard for me to gauge because I only started 6 years ago, but to me it feels like the hobby is very strong and healthy. These model railroad forums (and there are many of them) are full of people posting photos and updates of there model railroading adventures. The quality and availability of model railroad products leads me to believe the market.is very healthy and large. Kids may be more interested in video games, but at times they are playing trains with their dads and those experiences will carry over when they are older and of prime model railroading age. Certain segments are dwindling like the local hobby shop but now there are hundreds of online retailers; the model railroad clubhouse may be dwindling, but far more people have layout rooms and participate in modular clubs.

My two cents.

Greg Amer
The Industrial Lead
gregamer.com

You're right. I posted this question elsewhere and all the posters are saying what you posted.

Forums are a poor indicator of the hobby because there are only so many times the same subjects can be discussed online.

I wouldn't say I'm losing interest, but Life's demands have been getting in the way quite a bit lately. Also, I just spent ~3 years demolishing and rebuilding my garage layout, so I sure hope that investment of blood, sweat and $$ has been worthwhile!:D

I definitely don't spend as much time posting on the forums as I've done in the past, mainly because I haven't had a scenicked layout to photograph. Of course that could change once I resume having op sessions and getting scenery on the new layout.

I wouldn't say I'm losing interest, but Life's demands have been getting in the way quite a bit lately. Also, I just spent ~3 years demolishing and rebuilding my garage layout, so I sure hope that investment of blood, sweat and $$ has been worthwhile!:D

I definitely don't spend as much time posting on the forums as I've done in the past, mainly because I haven't had a scenicked layout to photograph. Of course that could change once I resume having op sessions and getting scenery on the new layout.

The whole garage for a layout? I'm sure the wife wouldn't mind keeping her Lexus outdoors so I could use our garage. Thanks for the idea.

Is it that time of the month again for this type of 'state of the hobby' post?
35, love trains, grew up on the LIRR...model railroad enthusiast.
Took my 21 month old son to the local club open house yesterday.....had to pull him out of there.
The hobby will be fine.

I'm 70. When I was a kid, we took passenger trains from Chicago to downstate Illinois to see my mother's folks. I rode the original #9900 Zephyr (now in the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago), as well as other Zephyrs and as a teenager, rode the C&NW 400. The roadbeds were excellent, the service in the dining cars was great, and it was a real adventure. Back in 1976, I took an Amtrack from Chicago to Denver in an effort to show my kids what trains were like. The airconditioning in our sleeper was out from Chicago to Lincoln, NE. The club car was bucking so bad you couldn't stay in your seat. My grandchildren have never ridden on a train. (For that matter, even flying isn't as much fun as it was in the 1960's. I get an almost uncontrollable urge to go "Mooo!") Oh, kids and grownups like to look at my 14' x 14' HO layout, as I try to explain what it was like to ride my HO Zephyrs, etc. But it doesn't really sink in. The older kids are involved in their own things in a city pretty far away. The younger one is just about to the age of getting interested...maybe.

I have bought one modern diesel locomotive that I can run...if it will negotiate the 20" radius curves...so the youngster can possibly relate to the (IMHO) boring string of 100+ hoppers that appear now and then running down from Wyoming to Pueblo, CO. But it can't be all that exciting. Computers? Oh, yeah! These kids can use them and play simulation games I can't even start to run.

The other problem is the models. Almost everything in HO is ready-to-run...and EXPENSIVE! About the only simple kits to get kids started are Accu-Rail. Irv Athearn must be spinning in his grave. On top of that, problems with production in China isn't helping even the rtr equipment. Oh, the DCC and sound is great...I have a few. But steam is about as foreign as a Viking sailing boat. I wish I could be more optimistic, but...????

I don't think it's dying, but I imagine that there are some individuals leaving the hobby.

Let's not beat around the bush here - model railroading is a hobby most popular among the older generations, simply because many of them had trains when they were kids. The video game industry shows a similar trend as the average age of the gamer continues to increase each year (believe it or not it's currently in the early 30s), again because these are the people who grew up with them when they were new. Case in point, I'm 29yo and got my first console, a Sega Master System II, when I was about 8yo. I've never stopped playing games (despite annoying interruptions like employment & relationships ;)) and I don't plan on changing that any time soon. Anyway, my point is that a noticable amount of modellers from 10 or 20 years ago are either too old to continue the hobby anymore or are sadly no longer with us. That doesn't mean there isn't plenty of new blood though, whether it's someone walking past a hobby store or the dads out there introducing their kids (see NWP95501's post!).

As for the decline of brick & mortar stores, that's just the way the world is going (online) and the GFC hasn't helped. As long as I always have somewhere to buy things I don't mind as I tend to gravitate online anyway, but that's mainly because the "Australia tax" is ridiculous and it is nearly always cheaper to import from the States even after factoring in postage (something that's not restricted to trains).

Also, I have a whizbang smart phone. Here's something I recently discovered how to do-

jmriphone.png

They're not all bad!

Back