Is anyone familiar with ...

Trussrod

Hello to all,

Is anyone familiar with the Crest brand of RCC [Radio Command Control] remote hand throttles? The Aristo-Craft name also appears as part of the Crest Electronics name.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Aristo Craft is now calling themselves Crest. We have Aristo Craft radio throttles on our club modular layout, replacements come with the Crest name.

The Crest throttles.

Say Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at the entry level throttle, the Orange one, as I'm only planning of operating one train at a time using the block system. Are you familiar with that throttle and what it will do etc? If so can you tell me if it's possible to double head two small steam Loco's? I would assume so but some confirmation is always great!

TIA

I believe Aristo Craft is now calling themselves Crest. We have Aristo Craft radio throttles on our club modular layout, replacements come with the Crest name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doubleheading is something I've never seen done with the radio throttles. A friend has a very large layout, and used them for many years without doubleheading. Each of the (black) throttles will control two engines, but on different tracks. All the radio throttle does is vary the amount of power that goes to the track. Like using a power pack knob by remote control. So I don't think it would work for doubleheading.

Crest also makes radio control units that fit into an engine, you control it by radio. Another friend had one, but the circuit board was pretty big and would not fit properly into a Bachmann 2-8-0 tender. I think they are marketed for large scale trains. Also it needed its antennae strung out a fair distance along the train. Not really practical I think.

Why not just go with DCC, a lot simpler.

Radio Throttle application.

Hi Bob,
Ok, you answered my question, if the throttle just varies the track voltage, which I should have been able to figure out, there is no reason a person could double head with conventional steam engines as they derive their power solely from the track and of course the transformer.

Of course this matter and others that might arise is something that Crest/Aristo-Craft ought to be answering themselves! They seem to stay very alusive??

Being that your club, or the one your in, uses them does Crest provide a customer help line? Judging by what I've been unable to locate for them it doesn't seem very likely! ?

Doubleheading is something I've never seen done with the radio throttles. A friend has a very large layout, and used them for many years without doubleheading. Each of the (black) throttles will control two engines, but on different tracks. All the radio throttle does is vary the amount of power that goes to the track. Like using a power pack knob by remote control. So I don't think it would work for doubleheading.

Crest also makes radio control units that fit into an engine, you control it by radio. Another friend had one, but the circuit board was pretty big and would not fit properly into a Bachmann 2-8-0 tender. I think they are marketed for large scale trains. Also it needed its antennae strung out a fair distance along the train. Not really practical I think.

Why not just go with DCC, a lot simpler.

Radio control systems also operate in the same band as many garage door openers. This was one of the big disadvantages to radio control and why DCC became dominant. Nothing worse than having an engine running away down the tracks for a cornfield meet becuase your neighbor opens their garage door.

Back