Intermountain 28" Wheel Sets

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I bought several packages (12 axels per pack) of the Intermountain 28" wheel sets for my auto racks. I still need three more packs.
I've searched the internet, no such thing anymore. I see Kadee, Exact Rail and JB Wheel sets are available but I'm not sure if they will fit the freight trucks I was able to put the Intermountain wheels in.
I tried another set of wheels years ago and found that they were just a bit to small for the standard truck but I don't recall whose wheel that was. I'm sure if I just pick one and order a few of them, I would be picking the one that doesn't fit.
Can anyone else confirm what matches the wheel axel size and length of Intermountain 28" wheel set?

wvg_ca

i had the same problem with a large set of front range spine cars that used 28 inch wheels ..unfortunately they were just left missing two axles and put away as they didn't match the layout era [1890]

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
Kadee provided an actual measurement, point to point of the wheel sets. I placed an order for a few packs of them with YankeeDabbler.

beiland

So I am guessing that since Kadee provide the correct measurment, you purchased their wheel sets?

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
Heck, my next door neighbor could have em in stock but it will still take until Christmas if he ships them to me. Have you not been paying attention to the supply chain lately? Whenever ole Pete gets back to work from his maternity leave, he might try to figure something out.

2Tracks

Ol' School
In my doing's with rolling stock, and changing out wheel sets, I found that I needed a variety of axle lengths.
What I had come up with on axle lengths, (this was a couple of years ago,).........

--Intermountain= 0.97"
--JB= 1.020"
--Athearn (long axle)= 1.020-.025"
--Kadee= 1.013"
--Reboxx= 0.995" thru 1.060"

That was the neat thing about Reboxx, they had a lot of different lengths, bought about all I could find back then........don't know about now.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.