intermodal cars and containers

Scottew7

I was wanting to start an intermodal layout, but im confused on the containers and the well cars. i see all kinds of sizes for the containers 20', 40"ect. also the cars. For example a 53' well car will that hold the 40' or do i find a 40' car. also are certain crates do do they interlock when you stack them or do you just stack various size container on them? I hope you understand my questions. :will a 20' stack on a 40' with out falling off?

Containers, by design, are a very flexible method of transporting goods. You'll see almost any combination of containers in cars. The only thing you can't do, is put 20' containers on top of 40' or larger.

20' containers have mounting holes at the corners, so there is 20' separation.
40', 45', 48' and 53' containers have mounting holes 40' apart with no mounting hole at the 20' mark. This means that a 40' or larger container can sit on top of two 20' containers, there is no way to mount two 20' containers on top of a larger one.

Railroad try to maximize revenue per car, so in an ideal world well cars large enough to hold 53' containers would, ideally, be only loaded with 53' containers. In the real world, this is not the case. You can find any size container that will fit a car in it. In some cases, a car designed for 40' containers will have a 40' container in the bottom position with a 45', 48' or even 53' container on top! And then the next car, designed for 53' containers will have two 40' containers stacked in it!

Around my home town, there is a tunnel that is too short to double stack domestic containers, so most double stack cars around here aren't stacked at all. The shorter overseas containers can be double stacked. So that creates a nice variation where 20' and 40' containers can be double stacked, but the 48' and 53' can't be.

As a general rule of thumb, don't put 20' containers in the top position, they should always be on the bottom.

In the modeling world, most containers can be stacked with each other, but stack best with other containers by the same manufacturer. Concor containers have the pins and holes reversed compared to the majority of manufacturers, so watch out for those ones.

thanks for info! thanks for your time. So if i buy some 53' well cars and some 20' and 40' containers i sould be fine?

To add to Freds answer...
If you look at a 48' or larger container you'll see there are mounting holes at the 40' mark as well. Even the (odd) 23' containers had mounting holes for 20'rs. When I was working in the IM yards we didn't stack the 40's on top of 48's, but I see it done frequently now. We also weren't allowed to stack over tank containers with dangerous goods, or place tanks in the upper position.
Most well cars will have mounts at the 48', 40' and 20' marks to accommodate the various loads.

Here's a good website that talks about all things intermodal:

http://www.robl.w1.com/Transport/intermod.htm

Scroll down to the section called "Movement By Rail" to find a discussion on stacking various sizes of containers in/on rail cars.

One other thing to mention is that you have to consider the weight limit of the individual cars when stacking containers. In other words, sometimes you might see a well car "single stacked." This is more common with two heavily-loaded 20' containers in the bottom and nothing on the top, since two 20's are naturally heavier than a single 40 to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back