Instant weathering sprays

Davidfd85

I'm going to be starting on the weathering of buildings, dusting up vehicles and quarry buildings/machines and am looking at the Testors/Floquill instant weathering sprays, but 3 oz 7$ is a bit much. Is anyone using something different that works as well?

Funny you post this. Years ago Testors had small bottles of weathering that was like a wash that I used building military models. It was great, They no longer make it. I saw they made Instant Weathering in a rattle can so I bought some. Yesterday I had a wood MOW car and I thought it would work great. End of story. It was more like spraying it with a can of thick dust color. The numbering was covered and pretty much the car has to be repainted and weathered. Lesson learned, test spray first!

Usually I use powders for weathering.

Dave is right. I tried a can of that instant weathering and it was way too thick to be the accent I was hoping for. I've had much better luck with the powders.

Just my 2 cents worth, I have never been satisfied with an instant weathering product whether I used it or someone else did. I guess I'm picky. It's been some years since I have done any weathering and I understand that Floquil paint has changed formula since then. I used an airbrush and about 4 colors ending with a wash of my dirty solvent. I also loved pastels(chalks) and used these on my structures and later on much of my rolling stock. I think if you find a technique you like, keep working with it, but always keep looking at other methods that give a result you like.

Steve

Well the reason I'm looking at the sprays is because the building I will be doing first is a coaling tower and it has quite a few small detail parts and cables on it thats why I am looking at using a spray for it. I'm not using it as a coaling tower but as a loading area for a quarry/crusher operation so it really needs to be a lighter dust type colored look I think. I am thinking that using the chaulks might not be to easy an option on this one.

Thanks for the info

I'm going to be starting on the weathering of buildings, dusting up vehicles and quarry buildings/machines and am looking at the Testors/Floquill instant weathering sprays, but 3 oz 7$ is a bit much. Is anyone using something different that works as well?

I have had really good results with these:

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/comartcorede.html

Short review here:

http://issuu.com/mr-hobbyist/docs/mrh-2010-nov-dec-ol/121?viewMode=presentation&mode=embed

I've never really had good results from sprays.

Chalk is very easy to use for weathering, then use dullcote to seal it.

When using chalks, I have found that a mist with a "sticky" type hair spray, before using any kind of dulling cover spray, prevents most of the chalk from disappearing off of the model, like it is prone to do with just a straight dullcoat type covering.

This is especially true when using solvent based paints like I prefer to use.

Back