Inspiration from the prototype, need design advice

fiend540

Well I am moving into my new place next month and will finally have some room for a much anticipated layout and am looking for some help in the design process. My goal is a small HO scale shelf switching layout, similar to what Lance Mindheim has achieved with his two layouts. I really like the idea of a layout that mimics the actual prototype and after doing a bunch of searching I have found a smallish Industrial spur that I would like to model and is close enough to me that I can visit it in person :)

The issues I am having now is with selective compression and designing a plan that will stay true to the real world line, but fits my available space while still providing good operations. I am looking for any advice, help or opinions that will help me get a good plan.

Here is what I am working with:

10' by 12'ft space, max width of 2' for the shelves, No windows or doors or anything else to worry about, Looking for the layout to have the ability to break down in a couple sections for future moves, and I am open to using removable staging. If you follow the link to bing maps below the line is between pin #3 (Novamerican Steel) through Industry #8 (Arley Wholesale), best viewed in birds eye or ariel view. Thanks in advance fellas.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=43...3243302&lvl=17&sty=r&cid=F22682CF36F29D7B!112

My link decided to hang up on me so I couldn't view the whole line in aerial, but I'd sketch the proto trackplan out and then start whittling down from there.

I'd model the spur from a south view point and probably leave out Pin 5 - doesn't look like there's a spur to that building. Most buildings could be modeled with flats or shallow backdrop buildings. You might want to make one leg of the layout the spur and make the other leg a dummy mainline with a passing siding (not on the proto, but helpful for operations) so you have a place to drop and pick up cars for / from the spur. Keep in mind that any tail track needs to be at least the length of your longest engine plus the length of your longest car.

2 feet wide is a fair amount of real estate to work with. To be more prototypical, that space should be relatively empty but you could make "actual" buildings instead of just using flats.

I personally do not like having spurs behind buildings - it's hard to see what's going on back there and I without fail snag my arm or shirt on anything tall in the foreground so I'd keep everything in view and within easy reach.

I'm sure other folks will weigh in with more / better ideas.

What other than the model rr is the space you're putting it in to going to be used for? If this were done as a modular railroad, semi-permanently set up as a peninsula in the middle of the room with branches on either side, you could capture a chunk of the prototype quite nicely. Any furniture, work desks, etc could be arranged around the walls.

What other than the model rr is the space you're putting it in to going to be used for? If this were done as a modular railroad, semi-permanently set up as a peninsula in the middle of the room with branches on either side, you could capture a chunk of the prototype quite nicely. Any furniture, work desks, etc could be arranged around the walls.

It's in my dining room and I'm pretty much stuck with the L shape which is fine with me. This is what I have come up with so far, there will be removable staging in the lower left.

layout-1.png

Not bad! I always enjoy seeing layouts based on prototype arrangements..

My suggestion would be to flip around at least one of your spurs to add operational interest. Also, perhaps you could move your runaround track from the bottom to along the curve and closer to the top; opening roughly where the GTS Welco is located, and close at the top near XTO? This way you could better simulate the distance from the yard to the industrial area, and establish a sense of distance..

Anyway, looking good so far. ;)

One small point, and this is my personal preference only - I'd make the switch to Bldg #1 a left hand switch. Usually the main route through a turnout is not the diverging route on proto RRs (unless it's a junction). If a spur is ever pulled up, it's easier to pull the points and diverging rails and drop in a straight section. And the reverse for putting in a new spur. But I'm not sure proto RRs follow that practice on all low speed industrial trackage, so...

Last edited by a moderator:
One small point, and this is my personal preference only - I'd make the switch to Bldg #1 a left hand switch. Usually the main route through a turnout is not the diverging route on proto RRs (unless it's a junction). If a spur is ever pulled up, it's easier to pull the points and diverging rails and drop in a straight section. And the reverse for putting in a new spur. But I'm not sure proto RRs follow that practice on all low speed industrial trackage, so...

I've thought about this and still have mix feelings. For now I think I will leave it as is, mostly because this gives me a nice easement into the curve. I think my next step will be to get some bench work up and to lay down some test track.

Back