Input on Weathered Engine

GTW 5847

Hello! I had an old ATSF engine that I received from my uncle that had no chance of ever being run again, due to corrosion. So I decided that I would "beat it up" I have done this to gondolas a bit, but never tried to make something look totally wrecked. I think that it came out pretty good for my first attempt, other than the hole I burned in the top:

http://www.modelrailroadphotos.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2748&ppuser=3524

I would love to hear your input! Thank you.
-Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
I am by no means an expert, but to me, the way it melted makes it look like melted plastic. If you look at a loco that's been through a fire they typically just burn off the paint... maybe a LITTLE amount of distortion.

MMMMmmm! I love taffy.;)

I think you over did it a bit. Most of the engines rust out, or if they do burn, as firetacoma mentioned, the paint flakes off.

Keep practicing on an old boxcar or something else you can spare to tinker with. A tank car can make a good candidate for a fire!

I don't think you used a big enough torch. There is still some left. Just kidding, but really overcooked. A small micro torch or even a lighter will work but even then it is pretty tricky to get good results. Ron

I'd say, if you're looking for wrecked, sharp angles are a must. All the smooth flowing bends looks just as the previous posters said, melted plastic.

Yes, now that I look at it, it does look like a melted mess. It would have had to have been in one hell of a wreck to look like that! Maybe I will get better results next time.
-Adam

Nope. Everyone else is wrong :) I will try to get a picture for you this afternoon, but there is a switcher that looks just like that in the Portland, Maine narrow gauge yard. It must have rolled down a hill or something but its rounded like that, not sharp angles at all. So I say - well done! :)

Here's what I did to make a derelict RS-3 from a plastic $2.00 AHM diesel:

RustedRS3-1.jpg

Most impressive! Incredibly realistic! I likes!:D
I like those pistons on the ground there on the right!

Nothing yet looking like Bob's but I just got this loco shell to practice on, and maybe if it comes good, I will place it somewhere in the layout as a wreck. I started to rust it this evening, but only did some colour tests.

Loco_Rust_2.jpg

Loco_Rust.jpg

Will start rusting better later on, and since it has no wheels I was thinking of burry it to side skirts level, then put grass all around is and maybe some old pallets. BTW this shell is diecast, so harder to cut :)

Yeah, Maxi, you can beat on those old Marklin's all day with a ball peen hammer and it will still only look slightly dented up. :) Nice job on that derelict engine, Bob. Maxi, check out the rust pattern on Bob's engine. Things left in the weather rust from the top down. I think you've got it reversed on your engine.

I was only splashin around with colours to see what colours fit well with Black. I will eventually wash everything away and start over, that;s metal so it won't melt ;)

Back