Information Requested Re: Rivarossi "President Washington" Steam Locomotive 4-6-2

Smudge617

I have the opportunity to purchase this Locomotive price being $65 inc p+p. (the front light is not working)

But I know little to nothing about Rivarossi Locomotive's and what I have heard seem's very fifty fifty at the asking price, I'm not expecting a Rivet Counter but is it worth adding to my roster?

1667424903881.png

Mantua puts out the same engine for about the same price but has less detail and more pulling power. They (the Mantua) are usually paint one color only. BTW, I'm refurbishing one right now that I'm going to sell one ebay. The one I'm working on has a working headlight.

I have the opportunity to purchase this Locomotive price being $65 inc p+p. (the front light is not working)
As I recall the front headlight is not hard to change, but it has been a long time since I've done that (1970s).

Personally, I like the looks of the Rivarossi better than the Mantua, but as LesterL said, a Mantua will be a better puller. I see a Mantua in the same paint scheme on ebay right now for $89. The AHM/Rivarossi running characteristics seem to be hit or miss. I've got some that do wonderful and others are umm umm tight.

A more normal price for the Mantua appears to be closer to $200.
Likewise a more normal price for the Rivarossi seems to be $120.

She looks like she has the old, overly-deep wheel flanges (pizza cutters) which will collide with your all your real or simulated spike heads if you are employing code 83 or lower-rail track..'Tis a shame, as otherwise they are quite decent for their earlier analog-only-days design..
Bet she has a horn-hook coupler as well, which will need converting to knuckle type if your other stuff is knuckle Kadee/McHenry type. + needs front coupler. May just need new light bulb or it rewired..
BUT if, IF you are using code 100 rail, are earlier analog DC control and she does run, $65 is not bad..See if there is one on eBay for less..
Good luck... 🏭🛤️

Last edited:
She looks like she has the old, overly-deep wheel flanges (pizza cutters) which will collide with your all your real or simulated spike heads if you are employing code 83 or lower-rail track..'Tis a shame, as otherwise they are quite decent for their earlier analog-only-days design..
Bet she has a horn-hook coupler as well, which will need converting to knuckle type if your other stuff is knuckle Kadee/McHenry type. + needs front coupler. May just need new light bulb or it rewired..
BUT if, IF you are using code 100 rail, are earlier analog DC control and she does run, $65 is not bad..See if there is one on eBay for less..
Good luck... 🏭🛤️
The old pizza cutter wheels aren't a problem, I'm using code 100 track for my OO scale, and doing a conversion to KD's is something I've had practice with, I don't see a problem converting it from DC to DCC, (lots of room in the tender I would think) I've lost count of how many I've done as most of mine were 2nd hand DC.

Last edited:
Mantua puts out the same engine for about the same price but has less detail and more pulling power. They (the Mantua) are usually paint one color only. BTW, I'm refurbishing one right now that I'm going to sell one ebay. The one I'm working on has a working headlight.
I've sent you a PM regarding you Mantua.
As I recall the front headlight is not hard to change, but it has been a long time since I've done that (1970s).

Personally, I like the looks of the Rivarossi better than the Mantua, but as LesterL said, a Mantua will be a better puller. I see a Mantua in the same paint scheme on ebay right now for $89. The AHM/Rivarossi running characteristics seem to be hit or miss. I've got some that do wonderful and others are umm umm tight.

A more normal price for the Mantua appears to be closer to $200.
Likewise a more normal price for the Rivarossi seems to be $120.
Would I be correct in the assumption that not only is a Mantua a better puller but also has better detail than the Rivarossi?

I've sent you a PM regarding you Mantua.

Would I be correct in the assumption that not only is a Mantua a better puller but also has better detail than the Rivarossi?
It’s a trade-off.
the Mantua pulls better, the Rivarossi looks better.

So far replies are right on totally agree looks ver pulling power And you could dress up the Mantua but I think the Rivarossi still looks better

My only problem with either of them and more so with the Rivarossi is the motors You can help the Mantua motor with better magnets
But the Rivarossi the motors are hit and miss Most of mine missed had to replace with can motors now they run just fine

I have a Rivarossi Big Boy never been on the rails still in box

So far replies are right on totally agree looks ver pulling power And you could dress up the Mantua but I think the Rivarossi still looks better

My only problem with either of them and more so with the Rivarossi is the motors You can help the Mantua motor with better magnets
But the Rivarossi the motors are hit and miss Most of mine missed had to replace with can motors now they run just fine

I have a Rivarossi Big Boy never been on the rails still in box
Wow! A real shelf queen then :)

I don't know, but it's the first US steam I like the look of, Mantua is also a good looking loco, dunno which way to go really.

LesterL has a Mantua he's refurbing, so I know that would be in great running order, but as usual, as you well know, postage is problem.

Last edited:
According to the "Rivarossi Memories" website the "President Washington" loco was issued in 1976 only so is 46 years old !
Other president names were issued in other years.
I have a similar loco but is for the Milwaukee Chippewa Hiawatha set from 1977.
The loco is well detailed for it's time and has traction tyres on two driving wheels on one side.
Current is collected through the other side of the loco plus one side of the tender so the loco will not work without the tender. The drawbar has a spring wire on it to make good contact between loco and tender. This is typical Rivarossi practice.
The motor sticks into the cab so no boiler backplate detail , again typical of the time.
The loco pulls it's four heavyweight cars in the set easily so should pull more lighter weight cars.
Hope this helps.

Hoping I'm not insulting your intelligence, you do realize the Riv, being 1:87 scale, will look somewhat small compared to your 1:76 stock, yes ?..
But if you are cognizant of this, then onward and upward...

Hoping I'm not insulting your intelligence, you do realize the Riv, being 1:87 scale, will look somewhat small compared to your 1:76 stock, yes ?..
But if you are cognizant of this, then onward and upward...
I run both scales, and have locomotives, freight and passenger cars for each one, although I have been known to mix both, and run UK OO scale steam with US HO freight.

According to the "Rivarossi Memories" website the "President Washington" loco was issued in 1976 only so is 46 years old !
Other president names were issued in other years.
I have a similar loco but is for the Milwaukee Chippewa Hiawatha set from 1977.
The loco is well detailed for it's time and has traction tyres on two driving wheels on one side.
Current is collected through the other side of the loco plus one side of the tender so the loco will not work without the tender. The drawbar has a spring wire on it to make good contact between loco and tender. This is typical Rivarossi practice.
The motor sticks into the cab so no boiler backplate detail , again typical of the time.
The loco pulls it's four heavyweight cars in the set easily so should pull more lighter weight cars.
Hope this helps.
Ah! That changes everything, my 2 pet hates are plastic wheels, and traction tyres. I'm fully aware that there is nothing actually wrong with traction tyres and a lot of modellers like them, as I said it's my personal preference.

Ah! That changes everything, my 2 pet hates are plastic wheels, and traction tyres. I'm fully aware that there is nothing actually wrong with traction tyres and a lot of modellers like them, as I said it's my personal preference.
Some later Mantua steam engines also had traction tires. A general guide for Mantua steam engines is, if the engine has a plastic boiler shell, it likely has traction tires.

Some later Mantua steam engines also had traction tires. A general guide for Mantua steam engines is, if the engine has a plastic boiler shell, it likely has traction tires.
I've emailed the seller, and see what the reply is.

He ain't the only one with that vintage of HO loco..Check out eBay: Riv, Varney, Mantua, Tyco of same circa (+-) before paying present guy..
You just may be surprised !!
I will never understand you guys who not only mix scales, but country of origin as well (on same layout). Though this practice will never land you in the 'fine scale modeler's' club, it is your RR, your priorities, your comfort zone, your decisions, your hobby !!

~~ Hope you've found or will find a nice loco soon ~~ 🏨 🛤️☀️ 🌵

Last edited:
He ain't the only one with that vintage of HO loco..Check out eBay: Riv, Varney, Mantua, Tyco of same circa (+-) before paying present guy..
You just may be surprised !!
I will never understand you guys who not only mix scales, but country of origin as well, on same layout, IE.. ! This practice will never land you in the 'fine scale modeler's' club.. But, it is your RR, your priorities, your comfort zone, your decisions, your hobby !!

~~ Hope you've found or will find a nice loco soon ~~ 🏨 🛤️☀️ 🌵
First let me say, I do not consider myself a modeller, I'm an enthusiastic enthusiast nor am I a purist, I don't run ops, I don't model a particular US RR or area of the US/UK or even Era now, those of that do, more power to you, that's your love, your passion, the fotos and videos I've seen are honestly mind blowing, not only visually, but I can see the love, time, and cash spent on them, so I get it, I really do, but that's not me.

As a Brit, I started in OO scale with steam, (Era 3) as a kid I worked and volunteered at a preservation museum called Steamtown and that had such iconic locomotives as Flying Scotsman, Sir Nigel Gresley and Mallard, I qualified as a fireman in '76 and later as a driver and rode the footplate of all three and a host of others for a number of years as a volunteer, and simply fell in love with them.

So to get hold of any of the models of locomotives I spent many happy years on meant using OO scale, (try finding any of the above mentioned locomotives in HO. and yes, I know they are in N gauge, but that's too small for me.)

I kind of fell into HO by accident, I saw a US steam I liked the look of and bought it, it was impressive, ran far better and quieter than the UK steam that I had, but unfortunately I couldn't find another one I liked till now, I have a half dozen Class 37's and thought I'd try a diesel, so got a cheap GP7 that was a non runner that I fixed, and I loved it, I liked the variation of RR's and so I got more, you can't run UK freight with a US loco, so I bought some HO freight to go with, and it went from there.
Don't misunderstand me, I love my OO scale, and I will never give them up, but the HO, is fun to run too.

I have only once run UK and US rolling stock together, which was actually fun (there's a photo of it here somewhere). The layout was designed originally for my OO scale, but seems to have somewhat morphed into US HO, as I now have several HO structures, as several members know, postage and tax for items from the UK to the US and vice versa is, well, high, to say the least, so the only alternative is the old "pick 'n mix". So yes, my layout is a mix mash of both, and I run both, does it bother me, no, why should it, as you said, it's my RR and I'm the CEO. :)

Last edited:
Wow! A real shelf queen then :)

I don't know, but it's the first US steam I like the look of, Mantua is also a good looking loco, dunno which way to go really.

LesterL has a Mantua he's refurbing, so I know that would be in great running order, but as usual, as you well know, postage is problem.
It's not on a shelf it's in a large glass case 6 ft long Seems like I have a lot of those now
Anyway I know I have a couple of each brand of that engine You think I could find emm nope Did find my 4-6-4 Hudson and yes traction tires they still look to be ok Her's apict of the Big Boy and the Hudson behind it Those three engines in front of them are all Mantua

Attachments

• DSC_0463.JPG
    DSC_0463.JPG
    382.8 KB · Views: 52

Back