Industrial backdrops?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

KB02

Anyone have a good suggestion on where to find industrial backdrops? I've been searching google without much luck. Lots of scenic backdrops, but not much for industrial.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
This guy's website is rather confusing, but he's got some nice backdrops. There's even some of Tacoma in there, and while they're not really visible in the photo, there's lots of tracks in there that I have worked on.

twforeman

I bought a bunch of these flats. They are actual photos of buildings. I think they look pretty good. They are mounted on 1/8" to 1/4" cardstock.

Those are the same flats as sold here https://www.tracksideflats.com/ (I imagine it's the same people as on eBay.) I bought a couple of their flats and they are pretty nice. I added some depth to one of them: https://www.blackwingandwestern.com/2019/10/16/universal-scrap-metals/

They are photos of real buildings, but they also do some photoshop work to them. I looked through all their flats and some are the same buildings with different names on them. Regardless, they look pretty good and there are a couple more I might buy.

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Try TracksideScenery.com for what you need. High quality and great detail.

Greg

Last edited:

twforeman

My flats came today. Guess I didn't pay attention to how large the "Selz" flat was. It's a little big for my town. I might cut it in half though. The bank looks nice.

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
My flats came today. Guess I didn't pay attention to how large the "Selz" flat was. It's a little big for my town. I might cut it in half though. The bank looks nice.

Be a shame to cut that up. What size do you need? Maybe we can swap a few of mine for you big one??

twforeman

Be a shame to cut that up. What size do you need? Maybe we can swap a few of mine for you big one??
I don't know. I just bought these two because I liked them and thought they might work for 1958 small-town Montana. But the Selz building is pretty large. None of the other flats they had for sale really suited.

I might be up for a swap, want to pm me and you could email me some pics or something?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.