Incorporating A Jack Post Column In The Layout

max diyer

I'm in the preliminary design stage of doubling the size of my layout. No matter which way I position the layout, a round 3" diameter jack post column supporting the house center beam, will be in the way. It will either be right next to or actually inside the perimeter of the layout.
I'm looking for opinions with which I can disguise - decorate - incorporate the column, so it looks like it belongs in the layout?

All suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Chet: I like the idea of a building. At the moment, the post will be in the layout. Between a creek and the rail yard.

Can you use photoshop, powerpoint, or some other software to make your own design on paper? You could then wrap said paper around the post, therefore having the illusion that buildings/trees/rocks/whatever you want is in fact part of the layout? It is sort of hard to envision what the current terrain around the post is like.
?

1550089441545.png

Are you going to have a backdrop? If so could you run your Masonite (or whatever you would use) along the back, and curve it around the post? You might loose some scenery area, but you might gain a neat perspective. Without seeing a phot of the area, its kind of hard to visualize.

Greg: I never considered flat black, but now that you mention it, I can see how it would work!
Mike: Right now I don't have plans for a backdrop. But I'm still in the planning stage and that could change. That's a good idea!
George: That looks good, like they belong there! Nice layout!
Sherrel: That would probably look good if I was modeling Wyoming, but I think it would be out of place on a western PA layout ;):) Juuuust a bit too much :) Nice photo though!

Sherrel: That would probably look good if I was modeling Wyoming, but I think it would be out of place on a western PA layout ;):) Juuuust a bit too much :) Nice photo though!

I was just "chuckling" thinking about the movie "Close Encounters" where R. Dryfus built that model - taking up the whole room!
If I remember correctly, John Allen had a post that he built a small resort with a lift to get to it?

They seem like a huge issue, but they really aren't. Just take them out.... (Just kidding, don't do that!)

Just paint them black or a color that matches your other benchwork. They quickly blend into the background and you don't notice them. It's no different that say the supports for a double deck layout, or a section of wall that your layout runs along. They just sort of fade out view as you concentrate on the layout and the trains.

Another option is to paint most of it black, and then paint some tree outlines on it and a bit of sky blue at the layout level.

There's even a prototype for that, LOL! A lot of local water towers do that to blend in a bit more. Of course it will work best if you layout has trees and isn't say in the great plains or out west in a wide open treeless plain.

Attachments

• KentWaterTower_BIG.jpg
    KentWaterTower_BIG.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 236
Someone on this forum, I can't remember who, hopefully they will chime in, had a similar issue and turned the pole into a Grain silo (or other such structure) and even made a few more silos to go beside it to help blend it even more. It was pretty cool!

I'm assuming you don't want to model "Jack and the Beanstalk", a rocket launch, or the Empire State Building. That pretty much means modeling a mountain with clouds made of cotton hiding the top, or using the post to secure one end of a backdrop with different scenery on each side. The only other thing I can think of that might work, depending on viewing angles, would be three or four tall skinny mirrors surrounding the post which would reflect the surrounding scenery of high density trees or buildings that are positioned right up against the mirrors. But, any moving trains would have to be isolated or hidden from the mirrors.

It's very counter-intuitive, but honestly painting it black will let it fade into the background much better than you'd expect.

Greg: I wish I didn't need columns - it really screws up my layout area!
bob: I like the blending in.
Another option is to paint most of it black, and then paint some tree outlines on it and a bit of sky blue at the layout level.
KB02: I'd like to see the grain silo's, also. That would be interesting.
Jim 69cuda: I like the idea of cotton hiding the top!
Tim: Wow a tornado - that would minimize shop-vac time.

Thanks guys for all the replies! I will be using a combination of a few of your ideas!
I'll post photos when I get it done!

Back