IHC Steam Engine Quality

jbovinette

Florida Railroads
I have to as your opinion on something. I am looking to purchase a steam engine for a excursion train on my layout. I am not a big steam person and dont want to spend a lot of money on one. I found the Atlantic Coast Line IHC 4-6-2 Premier M9891. How are the quality of these engines? I just want them to run nicely and I want them to be somewhat reliable.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
John

Ihc power

For the money,I don't think you will go wrong with IHC,I have 6 of there steam loco's and happy to say I am very pleased with the way they run,in summation ,
They look great,run great,they are quiet,and have a realistic view of the real thing.Granted this is my opinion only,but for the money,IHC would do you nicely for the effect you want to achieve.

Mike:D

I have only one steamer and it's an IHC 2-6-0.
I had it apart years ago to adjust something and close couple it to the tender, and had some parts left over when I finished putting it back together.
It runs like a champ to this day with the extra (?) parts still in the box!

They aren't the most detailed, but are GREAT runers, VERy reliable. If you want to make it look like a million bucks, you can add detail parts from various manufacturers and have a great running and great looking steamer. I highly recommend them.

Of course, you do appreciate that IHC is no longer in business? However, for the money, especially in the current market where most of the better steamers go for around $300+, you simply can't beat IHC locos for operating smoothness and reliability. However...I must mention that detail-wise their loco superstructures can be rather inaccurate and unprototypical, since one body shell is often employed on locomotives of several different wheel arrangements and characteristics. Perhaps the worst offender is their 2-8-0 , which uses a yard switcher body for a road engine!

The above said, I have used quite a number of IHC mechanisms for specialized, kitbashed, steam locomotives that have proven very good operating on the layout for me.

NYW&B

Of course, you do appreciate that IHC is no longer in business? However, for the money, especially in the current market where most of the better steamers go for around $300+, you simply can't beat IHC locos for operating smoothness and reliability. However...I must mention that detail-wise their loco superstructures can be rather inaccurate and unprototypical, since one body shell is often employed on locomotives of several different wheel arrangements and characteristics. Perhaps the worst offender is their 2-8-0 , which uses a yard switcher body for a road engine!

The above said, I have used quite a number of IHC mechanisms for specialized, kitbashed, steam locomotives that have proven very good operating on the layout for me.

NYW&B

Ditto. As steam engines go, pretty near bullet-proof. And if you want to detail them, a good starting platform. And there's always the older Mantua units. You may want to take a look at the Rivarossi Red Box engines. A bit more detailed, and still strong runners. These are the engines with the motor located in the boiler and not in the cab(AHM).

Bob

As has been said, IHC has gone under, but they were merely the distributors of steam engines made by Mehano of Slovenia. Mehano has had its financial problems also but has recovered and is planning more products for the US market. The IHC Premier line was the foreruner of the upgraded line of Mehano steam engines that shouldbe available by mid-year. The detail level is actually quite good for the price, it runs well, and is DC ready. If I was in the market for 4-6-2, I wouldn't hesitate to get an IHC engine if the price was right. They really have very few mechanical problems and parts are still readily available. Take a look at what's being planned at http://www.mehano.si/?PID=21&CID=39 and you'll see a lot of IHC engines are being reissued under the Mehano name. The Prestige line will have excellent detailing and Loc-Sound standard, which should give some of the present high end companies some good competition.

I just hope the high end companies(BLI and the others) are challenged by Mehano instead if Mehano being seduced by the higher end market and following that lead.

Glad to have you back, Mr. Cooke.

Bob

Thank you, Bob. It so happens that the sales director of Mehano is the second cousin of my late wife, and I got a tour of the plant when we were in Slovenia. This was back in 1994, when they were still producing for AHM and IHC. Robert was a product engineer back then and very frustrated that they had to produce lower quality products than they wanted to make to meet the price targets of their distributors. They now have all the rights to the former AHM/IHC line and have improved the mechanicals and details. Robert is looking forward to introducing the Prestige line to the US. He thinks they will be able to price the new locomotives about 15% under the "big boys" and make a product at least as good. Slovenia is a small country but Mehano is a big toy maker outside of model trains and has managed to survive because of their broad product line. I'm trying to talk Robert into letting me beta test that new 2-10-2. :)

I don't think they got the rights to the LRV trolley but I'll send an e-mail to Robert and find out for sure.

I'd settle for product testing ANY American freight steam engine badged for one of my roads, I ain't proud..............of course, keeping the product prototype or getting one that is the result of any feedback. I hope they improve the passenger cars and get rid of those silly silhouettes........

Can you put in a good word for me, Jim? I'm not working and have all the time I need for substantial and thorough analysis.

Bob

I will indeed, Bob. Robert said they are going to send some "beta" models over for reviews and testing so I'm hoping to snag one myself. He also confirmed that they don't have the rights to the Boeing LRV trolley and doesn't think the market is big enough to justify tooling a new one themselves.

Jim, I was only commenting on being a "tester" tongue-in-cheek. But, I would be more than happy to do so if the offer came around. I do a lot of testing for fishing product companies, as in he summer, I'm usually found on the water.

I'd like to see some of the old interurban cars. Other than the one brass example I have, which I paid a lewd price to get, there are no products on the market that are truly affordable. I currently run the single unit and three gas-electric doodlebugs on my layout. Not at all prototypical, but that what I have so that's what I run. The interurban line is a layout within my layout. There may no be much of a market now, but if they were produced they could create one.

Also, I hope Mehano keeps a price point near IHC, and offer various quality at different price points. I have too many engines any way, but am thinking more of some of the beginners in the hobby and not pricing them out.

Bob

Back