If you had a door size layout, what scale would you use?

Let’s say you had a door sized table available. What scale of trains would you put on it? I’m trying to find out which scale and layout design will give me complete and eternal happiness in my life.
Considering the most standard door size is 30"x80", if you want a continuous run you have the following choices:
1. HO scale 1:87th, on sub-standard curved tracks. Greatly limits the equipment that could be run on the tracks.
2. TT scale 1:120th, very hard to find North American equipment.
3. N scale 1:160th, probably your best bet. Good availability of loco, rolling stock, structures, and accessories.
4. Z scale 1:220th, probably second best choice. Ok availability of equipment. expensive.
5. T scale 1:450th, newest scale out there. Don't think there is much North American prototype available. One could build and empire in a door sized space.

If you just want a switching layout you could move up to the larger scales.

N scale is the largest scale that you can make a full oval of track on a door, hence door layouts are actually quite popular in this scale.

TT might also work, but it's basically non-existent in North America.

About all you could do with a larger scale would be a limited "puzzle switch" layout, accomodating only the smallest locomotives and cars.

Why not ask us to guess your favorite color? What type of operation gives you the satisfaction? Or do you like building versus operating? If you rather spend the time building/rebuilding with very little operating I think O scale would be best.

Hollow core doors? I'm using several, for O/O27 trains. I started out figuring I would use 1-2 for a small N layout. If I had to do things over, I'm not sure I'd use the HCD's again. I chose them for the modularity, in terms of moving in the future.

N gauge, still large enough to use your fingers without too much swearing, and more switching and track interest than 00 or H0. work just get fiddlier the smaller you go.

Moons ago I received an HO Bmann 4-4-0 (was it?) from an eBay purchase which came without a bell...This is likely due to a rare occurrence in quality control...They graciously sent me one, gratis....Since then I've oft wondered if I, for having weathered this awful awful storm, deserve:
The No Bell Piece Prize !!

Moons ago I received an HO Bmann 4-4-0 (was it?) from an eBay purchase which came without a bell...This is likely due to a rare occurrence in quality control...They graciously sent me one, gratis....Since then I've oft wondered if I, for having weathered this awful awful storm, deserve:
The No Bell Piece Prize !!
For my part, I truly think you do deserve it. The Prize, I mean. For that (peaceful but funny) joke alone. :D

Last edited:

Back