Identify manufacturer

NWP Dave

I recently picked up a bunch of old cars but have no idea who the manufacturer is. A typical boxcar is constructed as follows:

Thin metal body, metal roof and ends. Wood underbody. Those are the basics. I did notice that the roof walks appear to be brass, grab irons are metal. Some friends say Athearn, I found a website that shows an unbuilt Varney kit which really looks close.

Any help would be appreciated.

Since I'm new here, I have a lot to check out.

It would be hard to determine without a photo. It could be Athearn, English, or maybe evan an old Mantua car.

Sure looks like an old Athearn or perhaps Silver Streak to me.
I have a few of those old timers, they were nice kits.
If the frame is assembled out of stamped pieces rather than a one piece casting, I'd go with the above, the others I think were cast.

Dick

My vote is for Globe models. I've got a few old Globe Models boxcars with stamped sides and wood floors, very few underbody details and sprung trucks. A few stamped brass or lost wax castings on the outside.

Good 3 foot rule stuff, but tend to scratch easy.

Karl:

The Globe kit, is the roof wood with a metal overlay? I just discovered that over the weekend. Also, here is a link to a website with some old kit information.

Dave
Wood roof with an overlay??? Odd!
Mine are all metal roofs....What you have there must be either really old, or really obscure!

Thanks for direction. I have determined that the cars were manufactured by Globe. There is a Globe kit (Stock Car) that is partially built listed on Ebay today that is a dead ringer for the cars I have. Also, I ran into a website that has a bunch of 50's and 60's Athearn, Globe and other catalogs and instruction sheets.
Dave

Back