Ideas wanted for making a highway

BTW Rex...What did you use to cover your hills on your layout? Is it clump foliage or individual trees? Its the same look I'm looking for when I cover my mountain.

BTW Rex...What did you use to cover your hills on your layout? Is it clump foliage or individual trees? Its the same look I'm looking for when I cover my mountain.

I'm not sure which ones you are referring to, I use two different types. The mountain that is completely covered and thick are "puff balls". You get a bag of polyester pillow stuffing from WalMart to make them. Pull off a clump, squeeze it into a ball and stick it to the surface with hot glue. When completely covered, spray with black paint to hide the white and add shadow. Now spray small sections at a time with water/glue 3:1 mix and then sprinkle fine ground foam (your color preference) onto the puffs. You will have to "blow" the foam into the crevices and hard to reach spots. I do this by folding thin cardboard, loading a tablespoon of foam into the crease, then use a straw to direct the blow into those areas. Cover the trees to the desired effects.

The trees with trunks are made from a wild bush that grows in the Southeast. It has little seed pods on it that holds the ground foam good. Just dip in bucket of water/glue, drain excess, and sprinkle. Hang to dry.

That's it and it's cheap! :)

I went the posterboard route, looked at the F/S signs that WM has.. just couldnt spend THAT much $$ on something that might not work.. thought id try the posterboard its Cheaper.

Gotta say that other than being a little too thin, I'm pretty impressed with it. I'll get some pics later tonite (loaned my Camera out to a friend for his family portrait)

Back