I need ideas

These days a brewery can be any size, from one pickup truck per week to multiple railcars per day.
In: LOTS of water, large amounts of grain, lesser amout of hops, some bottles kegs and boxes, some new equipment, liquified gases including CO2, chemicals for water modification.
Processing: water treatment, LOTS of heat, cooling, chemistry testing lab, cleaning with steam and chemicals, repairs
Out:bottled or kegged product via rail and truck, large amounts of spent grain, old equipment, large amounts of treated water.

Grain could be delivered by modified boxcars in the 60's, covered hoppers in the 70's. Heat source could be coal.

I am recreating a local brewery built in 1900. The 80 x 40 ft building was a decent size fo that time.

Thanks Epimetheus
That's exactly what I wanted....lots and lots of traffic
An operation sessions just for the brewery would be hours and hours of fun

We have an Industrial Park with rail and Truck Traffic.
Sorry I am late to the conversation.
Maybe an old Supply depot for the Military?
There was a Old Navy Supply Depot converted into a tech School and Industrial Park.
There are lots of rails and roads. Not really an Industry per se.
Richard

In: LOTS of water, ... .
Now, I can see all that other stuff, but this caught my attention. Don't big brewers especially, but probably all brewers, simply locate where there's a ready, reliable water supply in the first place? I would be astonished to hear of them shipping in water.

But willing to find out if I'm mistaken.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Don't big brewers especially, but probably all brewers, simply locate where there's a ready, reliable water supply in the first place?
I believe that is why Budweiser is on the bank of the Mississippi, and Coors on the confluence of Clear Creek and Crawford.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about other breweries but Coors ships "Beer Concentrate" in railroad tank cars. Sort of like the beer version of Frozen Orange Juice. :)

"Busch said Coors in Golden produces liquid beer concentrate shipped by railroad tank cars to the East, where local water is added to dilute the concentrate prior to packaging.
A Coors spokesman confirmed that it does ship beer concentrate, equivalent to 2.5 million barrels of its present annualized volume of 18 million barrels, to a facility at Shenandoah, Va., a packaging operation."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...788_1_rocky-mountain-spring-water-coors-busch

I've been contimplating my brewery as well. Contrary to real-world where breweries are in cities, this one will be out in the sticks, next to a stream. I want to use wood tanker cars for aging and store them in an otherwise abandoned tunnel to keep them cool. I haven't decided on buildings yet, but I'm thinking a German theme or maybe using an old church for the brewery plant itself.

Coors plant in Golden Colorado........HUGE........VERY HUGE
2.5 miles long
Main area is 2,800' x 1,300' which in HO scale is 32' x 15', then there's the distribution area which is about the same area

Back