I NEED HELP!! Please, I don't know what to do!!

UPRRfan

Hello everyone! I am currently getting really frustrated because I can't find a track plan that I like :mad: . So if anyone would please help me design one or something that would be great!!!!! I've been working on finding a track plan for well over a year with no luck. I would really like to find one so I can finally start working on a layout again and run some trains. So would someone PLEASE help me design a track plan for my layout??

PLEASE and THANK YOU in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe your problem is that you're limiting yourself to finding ONE. I searched for a while for a track plan for my previous layout and couldn't find one that did what I wanted. I finally settled on a design made up of elements I liked from three plans. Maybe it would help if you did the same. Look for plans that have parts you like and see if you can make the parts work together. Don't waste time trying to work it out on a CAD program. Just get out the paper, pencil and ruler and start drawing it out. Work on it for a while then take a break for a couple of hours or days and come back to it. When you have something that shows promise start working it out on the CAD and see if you can tweak it. Many people find it difficult to copy something somebody else did. Be original and piece something together.

Find parts and pieces of plans that will work within the benchwork you have. That will make your plan all the more original. I've been in this since 1964 and I've used the same benchwork for multiple plans. My existing benchwork has seen three layouts built on it since 1995.

now when i do find a track plan, is there any easy way to transfer the plan from paper to the actual layout/benchwork?

Or you can what I did. Think about it, lay it out on the board you have w/a magic marker & build it. If more people just went ahead & started a layout w/out all of the pondering for years & years, just think how many layouts would be done. If you don't glue down or nail down the track, you can always move it around to what you will like.
Take a chance. Get started. Don't wait any longer. Lay it out & make it work on the tabletop. You might have a few pcs. of track left over, but when you add on later you can use it up. I had a design in my head for about 2 weeks before I built mine. This layout is 24 by 36ft w/miles & miles of track. Get STARTED NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im gonna try and work on it tomorrow and a lot this weekend lol but I would like a track plan because I've heard it is easier with one, or is that not true? Lol

One of the easiest things to do is to get paper that you can lay out on top of your benchwork and work out your measurements on that. Once you know just what you can get into an area it's somewhat easier to work out something for that area. One of the biggest mistakes people make is trying to work on the entire layout at once. Select one prat of the benchwork to start on. Once you fit something into that area move on to the next part. You're not anchoring anything down at this point. If the next part requires that something be adjusted in the part that came before it can be done easily.

So is a 4x12 a good size or should i re consider my bench work? Also which is better a layout built for realistic operation or not realistic operation?

4X12 is a pretty good size, about the same size as mine overall. My layout is 3.5 feet at one end 3.8 feet at the other, 1.5 at the back and 2 feet coming up one side.The curves are all 18" radius because of the constraints of the room space I have.

This is my basic track plan. It has some switching but I mainly like to watch the trains run.
layout1.jpg

What I did was just start with some ideas I had, and used Atlas RTS software. Once I got the the basic plan, a mainline, yard, etc. I then posted on here. And through many revisions later, after input from the experts here, I was able to finalize a plan.

So my suggestion, first list your wants/needs. Do you want mainline continuous running, or do you want a switching layout with lots of industries. What kind of scenery, mountains, bridges, tunnels, hills.

Since your an UP fan, you should do some research. Maybe find an UP rail yard that you can model from.

Then you can start putting these things you want into your track plan. The best track plan, is the one that YOU create, and not just copy some plan online.

Also, you may have to change or modify your benchwork, to get the best bang for the buck for your space available.

Thanks for the links!! Is the Atlas RTS free or do you have to pay for it? And I am planning on a mainline with continuous running, with like a coal tower at one end and then a factory that would need the coal at the other. (what would be a good factory?) Like I said before I want to model the 1940s-1950s and will be using the Union Pacific RR. I will post pictures of my layout space and bench work tonight. Along with a track plan that I am thinking of.

Thanks for the links!! Is the Atlas RTS free or do you have to pay for it? And I am planning on a mainline with continuous running, with like a coal tower at one end and then a factory that would need the coal at the other. (what would be a good factory?) Like I said before I want to model the 1940s-1950s and will be using the Union Pacific RR. I will post pictures of my layout space and bench work tonight. Along with a track plan that I am thinking of.

Yes Atlas RTS is free and also easy to use. There are other free software out there like XtrackCAD, but is a steep learning curve than Atlas.

http://www.atlasrr.com/righttrack.htm

thanks! I will download it tonight and start using it, and should I start a new thread for my layout progress or should I keep it on this thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck, here are some tips:

• try make a little progress every week to maintain your momentum
  • DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE STORE STUFF ON YOUR RAILROAD
  • pick up one of the magazines: Railroad Model Craftsman or Model Railroader every once in a while and use portions of the track plans you like and forget the rest
  • Don't be afraid to think big, you may get board with watching your trains run in a continuous loop. I'm not saying don't build one, just keep your options open for different sidings, yards and space for industries
  • DON'T STORE STUFF ON YOUR RAILROAD YOURSELF (this is a major roadblock to progress)
Have fun

thanks for the tips! Im only 16 so i dont have to worry about the wife problem haha and i am subscribed to model railroader and find it EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!!!!!

I just watched your video. It looks like your layout room is a decent sized space.

Instead of having a 4x8 table in the middle. You should build an "around the walls" layout. It's a better use of the space. You can have larger radius curves, so that you can run long passenger cars.

From your benchwork drawing. Just flip it so that the 4x8 table is now the center space that you can operate the trains from inside. I would get rid of the work bench also.

For access into the room, at the door, you can just duck under, or create a swing gate that opens and closes.

I just quickly drew up something as an example. Not sure where your door is, does it open into the room?

up%252520plan.jpg

well depending on the dimensions of the table then i can just have the benchwork in the middle of the room (the door is on the other side of the room) and then just duck under the benchwork to get to the inside. I like the concept of that idea though!!

Back