I just finished my first Walthers structure...

I guess that I have been lucky, but I haven't had any problems with the assembly or painting of Walthers kits. I have about 3 dozen of them ranging from the huge steel mill to the small freight houses and more to go. As I write this, I am building the Consolidated Dairy. Now that is a challenging kit being made mostly with modular parts similar to DPM.

You are correct that the directions are not exacting, but if you read them all the way through and understand the whole assembly before you start then you can decipher the instructions. The only problems with part fits that I have experienced have been with circular items, such as tanks or smoke stacks.

When assembling walls, you have to be careful to match the bevels and to make sure you have the correct wall match. Also, I do not try to glue the whole wall at once. I use liquid glue (Plastruc Plastic Weld)and glue the bottom first then work my way up forming the joint as I go. This is important since the plastic will have a natural tendency to be bowed. Be sure and keep it square or you will be in trouble later when you install the roof or other parts. Don't forget to make sure that all burrs are removed and trial fit the parts before gluing.
Hope this helps some.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back