I have a crazy idea, I think.

joshjefflawn

Espeerailfan#1
So I was looking at Matts New York Central System web page. When all of a sudden, an idea slamed into my brain like a frieght train slamming into a prius.:D
If I am modeling a ficticous Southern Pacific Rio Grande Company. Why not model a modern SP passenger train. Maybe if Southern Pacific was in a better finacial cituation maybe they could have restarted a passenger run in the mid 90's.
Of course it probably never would have happend, but the joy of "proto-lancing" (Sorry, I say matt use that term so I'm going to borrow it.) is pretty much anything is possible.

So here is a basic idea of how I could come up with such a SP passenger train.

The image is from, Paintshop.railfan.net

Looks good but why are the silver stripes between the orange and red so wavy?

Because I was using microsoft paint, and its just a rugh idea. Of course the acctuall locomotive would have much straighter lines, without the grey lines.:D

It's not such a crazy idea. My own short line has the same "look and feel" as the New Haven and my engine roster includes both NH engines as well as my own road's engines of the same builders and types as the NH had. Era is around the early 60's. BUT, I have certain engines I like that are neither New Haven correct nor era correct that I have painted up for my own road. One is a GP38-2 and another is an SD40. The idea is that my road survived long past the merger of the NH into Penn Central and just for a change of pace these "too new - never had them" units will take over the layout for an evening or two. I've also given serious thought to adding a few Amfleet coaches to drag along behind those engines. Have fun with it Josh!

Crazy ideas are usually the best!

Paul

It ain't crazy. I've been "proto-lancing" for years. I model primarily the Southern RR in steam around my hometown, in the 1940's. But there are several "changes" in the track features and engine needs.

I call my RR the "Alabama Central". Any engine, (steam) that I like, that the Southern never had, is painted into my ACRR scheme. The track features involves mostly just direction and interchange locations.

Thanks. I think it could be cool. I just have to get it going. The hardest part right now is that I'm not working right now (should have a job in about a week or two) but for now I'm just kind of comming up with ideas. The paint itself seems pretty reasonable, price wise but getting a new FP51 will be the hard part right now. Oh and does any one know of some one who wants to get rid of some Supper Liner cars, I might be in the market, :D

Back