I don't want anybody bidding against me.

I'm so confident that I'll win, I'm buying some paint on the way home today. Maybe 2 gallons! :p

Beware of what you ask for.
This note on the site could make you bankrupt if you have to pay for the environmental costs. They probably would want the paint removed and cleaned up before transporting.

Note: Buyer must agree to have a pre-disposal meeting with TVA environmental personnel to discuss the method of removal they plan to use that will meet TVA's environmental concerns/requirements.

This locomotive may contain lead paint

hmmm thats only a couple hours away from me ;), but i think he home owners association might have something to say :D. Great find, Keep us posted!

LOL, "May contain lead paint". Ya think? I see some scrap dealer has already bid it up to $4,600. Scrap steel is going for about $200 a ton and the S1 weighs about 115 tons, so that's about $23,000 in scrap value, not counting the copper in the traction motors and wiring, assuming they are still intact. If you're a scrap dealer that's not far away, it would probably cost about $5,000 to lowboy it to your plant and $10,000 to scrap it. Throw in a couple thousand for copper and it's probably worth about $25,000 in scrap and would cost about $15,000 to scrap it. If it goes for $5,000, that a neat $5,000 profit. Not a bad deal as long as the bidding doesn't get too high.

Cool find, too far from home for me tho!
Lead is a concern, and so is asbestos. I had to sell a diner just because the abatement charges were going to kill me.
Shipping can be expensive as mentioned, insurance and inspections to move on the rails is outrageous! (if your car derails guess who's neck is on the line?)
I took one of my wee locos (see pics) in for scrap when it was $150 a ton, three weeks later it was over $200 a ton. Timing is everything!
Scrap up here is hovering around $100 a ton last I checked so a lot of the RR's are hording their equipment for now.
Good time to buy!

Buying locomotives from the government is hard, they require more then private parties.

OK, ya'll talked me out of it. It was going to be the focus of my 1:1 scale model railroad, set in the fictional land of Texas.

OK, ya'll talked me out of it. It was going to be the focus of my 1:1 scale model railroad, set in the fictional land of Texas.
That's just as well. I just looked at the photos, and the unit has solid bearings, which were outlawed for interchange a few years ago. You'd have to retrofit roller bearings, and put whatever else it needed on it per inspection, or else load it on a (large) truck and trailer to get it where you wanted it.
Also, I don't think Lionel makes a transformer big enough to operate it...:D

It sold for $4600. That could be a nice deal for a scrap dealer that has the ability to transport it and cut it up cheap. I kind of doubt we'll be seeing this one on a tourist railroad. :)

Back