How to Make Trees and Shrubs

Big thx Den. It was realy helpful. I understand almost everything :D. I wonna ask
only about grass:eek:. U "put" it on the branch by using sieve? I have few kind of grass: 2mm 4mm 5mm 6mm. Smaler are better ?

Hello Met:
U "put" it on the branch by using sieve?
Well YES I add the small grassfibers with a kitchensieve or better a thee sieve. Just watch the attachment/picture I added...
About the kind of grassfibers: how smaller the "leaves"you are goin to use , the smaller the grassfibers.
So for my N scale trees I use the smalllest: 2 mm( the smallest I have! lol ) and as imm.leaves I use , mostly, the fine turf from woodland
When using , for example, coarse turf from Woodland for HO trees, I also use the larger grassfibers , like the 6 mm or even the very long"wild grass"from HEKI. of course in combination with the fine ones!.
Just experiment with the grassfibers and see for yourself what the results are!
btw UP2CSX( John) : My latest effort to try to make/model a kind of USA pine tree...not perfect but there is a start that could lead to a look-a like---
I think the "foliage" is still to dense....

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:
Jos, the trunk looks good but you're right, foliage is too dense and still looks more like leaves than longer pine needles. I've tried a number of ways to come up with a good looking long needle pine, including cutting up bottle cleaning brushes, but none of them have ever looked quite right.

Jos, I would love to see a video tutoral of that birch tree getting put together. I learn better watching someone else then reading directions. And yes, you are an artist.

Well I found some pictures on the net about the trees shown above...just before the storm and some after...It went so fast!

The captain and his crew were kept by surprise and still stood as stones as the local reporter took these pictures:
This picture was taken 2 days before
f_dennenboomVm_c1a1903.jpg

and some after::eek:
f_omgevallenHm_99ce515.jpg

some closer:
f_omgevallenHm_3d65f1d.jpg

Jos

Well the "treefactory isn't closed yet 'cause of the ( coming) bad winter weather conditions..when taking the picture we were lucky: no snow forcasted!
Made the first ones belonging to a part of a small forrest:
f_MSMdennenbom_8f92c2f.jpg

Jos

Beauties as usual, Jos. I like the bare branches at the bottom of the trunks. It's what you see on most evergreens but most modelers don't get it right.

Thanks to UP2CSX I tried to make some more dead branches on the base and halfway the trunk...It realy gives the tree a more realistic look and even more (!!)when planted close together! =)
dennenbomen2008dec1kleiny8.jpg

on this one you can see the bare/dead branches easily:
dennenbomensfeerplaatjevn6.jpg

a new fresh larche

Still in the "desig'" phase: the larch..
Made 2 of them and placed them between the other "prototypes" of firtrees....
pict0034kleincd1.jpg

These trees are all made in the same way: Frames were made out of twisted wires and making loops after twisting 5 times around the "core"wire/thread .
Actualy almost all my trees are/were made like these methode....

Jos

County Gate tree making

Hi folks, I am a new boy here but this is how I model broad leaved trees.

For prime broad leaf trees near the front of the model, we are now using a method using sage brush or heather as the armature with sea moss. Such trees are very delicate and should be placed where they are not likely to be damaged by folks playing with the trains! We have been very lucky to have a kind US trucker who collected sagebrush for us from the Nevada desert. I have noticed that there is a very similar plant to sage brush higher up on the hills of the Canary Islands, so for Europeans, next hols you can get gathering!

Materials

Sage brush, heather or any other well shaped woody plant stem
sea moss
PVA glue
spray mount and fixative
scatter material
Clothes pins or small clamps
Tweezers
Straight pins
Side cutters

Description of Materials

The trickiest part of making this type of tree is finding the correct materials. Sage brush or heather can be found simply out in nature. They should be put in a microwave and 'baked' for a few minutes to kill off any fungus, bugs, etc.

Spray mount is by far the best spray glue for this application. Spray fixative, used by artists is far better than hair spray for finally fixing the foliage.

I use Woodland Scenics medium green coarse turf to add 'leaves' to the trees or other scatters from Greenscene, which I am now beginning to prefer.

A pair of clothes pins or a small clamp works well to hold the armature while working with it. When connecting two clothes pins in an L fashion they also serve as a convenient stand to keep the tree upright when drying.

A pair of tweezers helps out a lot when trying to attach sea moss to the branches with PVA.

At the base of each tree I fit a straight pin in to help hold the tree in place when 'planted' on the layout. After the pin is stuck in the end is clipped off with a pair of side cutters.

A simple pair of side cutters or anything else which will cut a straight pin will work just fine.

Some use polyfibre to create the foliage. I have given up with this method as now and again it shows and destroys the entire illusion. Sea moss (Teloxys aristata of the family Chenopodiaceae) continues with arborisation and is much more real. Here we are making a large old elm for Glenthorne meadow. Elm is a very brittle tree, so I have included some dead cracked branches and some parts which have had the attention of a tree surgeon.

Sagebrush Tree Construction Steps

Prepare the armature. Select a portion of sage brush which is typical of the species of tree you require. It is always a good idea to look at real tree species in winter. Stick a straight pin into the base of the tree to add stability when 'planted'. Clip the pin head off after inserting the pin.

Armatures can also be made using twisted wire. This is the preferred method if an actual tree is being modelled. Heavier wire is twisted together to form the trunk and this is attached to bundles of 3 amp fuse wire for lighter branches. The armature is soldered together, washed, and then coated in bark material from Treemendus. This can be carved to create texture. A combination of wire armature and sage brush off cuts can also be used.

34.jpg

old oak modelled on a tree on the way to Woody bay (7")

Glue a small pieces of sea moss suitably trimmed to the armature starting from the bottom. In some cases, the sagebrush is drilled to take the sea moss branches. The positioning of the sea moss will give the tree species its distinctive shape.

17_200.jpg

beginning to add sea moss for a large elm

Continue the process working your way from the inside and bottom of the armature to the outside and top. Continue until all desired branches have been covered with sea moss It is fine to leave some branches uncovered to represent a dead branch here and there. Spray the sea moss with spray mount now and again to further attach the branches.

18_200.jpg

elm

23_200.jpg

English oak

Very lightly spray paint with black, so the original colours show through.

19_200.jpg

You may choose to add ivy growing on the tree trunk at this time

Over a bag or in some other environment set up to catch the overshoot, spray the sea moss with spray mount. Be careful to spray away from the main trunk and from above - try to spray in bursts instead of one constant stream.

Carefully and slowly sprinkle on the flock. Darker flock can be applied to the bottom side of the sea moss then apply some lighter to the top of the tree to give it a bit of a highlight. It is very important not to overdue the flock. You should still be able to see through the tree after the flock has been applied.

It may be possible to light spray paint the flock to obtain the right leaf colour.

20.jpg

12" elm

24.jpg

oak

29m.jpg

an old elm suffering from die-back and an alder tree (approx 8")

36.jpg

elm modelled on a tree near Woody bay (12")

Tap off the extra flock into a container.

Give the tree another light coat of fixative to help keep the flock in place.

Time taken to build each tree is around 4/5 hours.

regards
JdF

Just put all the trees I made the last month( 22) on one small diorama.
here is how it looks like....a 'petite' small piece of a giant forrest?
tannenalleszusammen2008kk0.jpg

seen from the edge....:
tannenalleszusammen2008hw8.jpg

Jos

Pilot and Jos, you guys should get together and start making these things to sell. I'd buy a bunch of them since I've just started to make decent looking trees and have...oh, maybe...250 crummy looking trees to replace. :) Excellent tutorial, Pilot, and a really nice looking diorama, Jos. The dead branchs towards the bottom give some space to see all the trees and really highlight your work on the trunks. Darn, I sure wish I had some talent to do this kind of work.

John, I'll take 250 of those trees then. I'm sure some federal bailout money will soon be coming my way I can convert into pounds assuming the British government is that stup...err...cooperative. :)

Whow, Pilotfriend...those are realy beautiful old/ natural/real lookin trees......
wished "Sagebrush" was growing too overhere...impossible to beat that!
Thanks for the tutorial! =)

Jos

curious

I was just curious how a real "on scale" firtree would look like...I mean exactly on scale( HO 1:87) so: making a tree of >20 inches...!
I put the tallest( 'till now) tree I ever made in the background ...
f_opschaaldenm_4ffca1b.jpg

f_opschaaldenm_2ba715f.jpg

well the trunk and dead branches still have to be weathered with the drybrushmethod but that is done in some seconds!! lol;)

Jos

Back