how long is your HO classification yard?

I've been trying to sort out what I'm going to do about a classification / staging yard and you guys have given me a few ideas

Just to be sure you understand - classification yards and staging yards are totally different things.

Classifications yards are part of a real railroad and they can be re-created in our model railroads. You can search the web for information on how they work.

Staging yards are used in model railroads to hold entire trains waiting to enter the "stage" - our layout. Usually they are void of scenery and often out of site.

Just to be sure you understand - classification yards and staging yards are totally different things.

Classifications yards are part of a real railroad and they can be re-created in our model railroads. You can search the web for information on how they work.

Staging yards are used in model railroads to hold entire trains waiting to enter the "stage" - our layout. Usually they are void of scenery and often out of site.

The only reason I typed "/staging yard" in the post is because some people will "reclassify" trains in staging yards during a session. Sorry for the confusion this may have caused anyone.

Now I am confused because the conversation started with "classification" yards and now you are saying "staging" yard. Those two serve entirely different purposes and in my book are different things. I used to have an N-scale layout that had a 6 foot staging yard on a 2'x8' layout. All my layout designs include the longest and most number of staging tracks possible.

So are you asking about yards where whole trains are stored and staged when not in use on the layout, or are you asking about classification yards where trains are broken down and the cars are classified toward their final destinations?

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't take this wrong way but for a layout that is designed ( or not ) for operations ,why would.you want a classification yard ? Would you not want several staging yards so that a train or several staged trains are ready to set out to do drop offs and pickups as per the op session?
Lynn

OK obviously I posted late. Personally I always thought a classification yard was a yard in a larger industry such as a steel mill where all the cars are sorted in a certain drop off order per customer destination.
Lynn

I guess I'll include the staging yard.
Three tracks about 20' long.

IMG_6406_zpsaaa2649e.png

and the storage yard.
5 tracks about 15' long.

IMG_6408_zps6c94459a.png

Don't take this wrong way but for a layout that is designed ( or not ) for operations ,why would.you want a classification yard ? Would you not want several staging yards so that a train or several staged trains are ready to set out to do drop offs and pickups as per the op session?
Lynn

no harm taken.

I guess I'll include the staging yard.
Three tracks about 20' long.

IMG_6406_zpsaaa2649e.png

and the storage yard.
5 tracks about 15' long.

IMG_6408_zps6c94459a.png

jealousy is starting to set in over here at my house. You've got quiet a nice spread there.

Back