how long is your HO classification yard?

Just polling to see the different lengths used for HO scale classification yards.
Shouldn't the real question be how long is the classification yard in comparison with the size of the layout? I mean if one only has a 4x8 layout this is going to be a lot different answer than if someone has a basement pike empire.

In any case my answer is zero. None of my layouts or even planned layouts have a classification yard.

Ohhhh, about 20' or so.

Yardfull_zps1b2b931a.png

Shouldn't the real question be how long is the classification yard in comparison with the size of the layout? I mean if one only has a 4x8 layout this is going to be a lot different answer than if someone has a basement pike empire.

In any case my answer is zero. None of my layouts or even planned layouts have a classification yard.

Hey thanks for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
My answer is kinda "was" (I disassembled it to move).

The yard itself was about 8-10 ft long, but if you include the leads and engine facility its closer to 15-20 ft long.

The longest tracks in my classification yard are ~12ft. Here's a pic:

CLW_20120208_01.gif

The tracks toward the upper left are non-hidden staging, disguised to look as if they're part of the yard. Lower left corner tracks lead into the engine terminal .

Yards

Geeze, if I took every piece of rolling stock I have I wouldn't be able to put a dent in either one of these yards. I have a yard at each end of my layout, and I would call them puny compared to these. The first is about 6 feet long and the other is probably about 8 feet long.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Mine is about 20' long too. I think the front track is closer to 16' but the back track is almost long enough to house most of my Overnight cars.

I apologize for the mess and poor lighting...active work zone.
Photo1_zps4a415d80.jpg

IMG_2626_zps6c1905f5.jpg

at the much smaller end of the scale and speaking only hypothetically (because the yards haven't been built yet), I will have a hidden, 3-track, double-ended staging yard with 8 feet on each track, and a visible, single-ended small classification yard with four tracks ranging from 2 feet to 3.5 feet. This on a layout that is 8 x 10 feet

Thanks so much for the replies and photos, guys. I really do appreciate it. You all have really nice yards!

Like many of us I had limited space BUT I still wanted the features I wanted - including a classification yard.

Mine is small - 5 tracks - double ended - the longest of the tracks is only 8 feet.

I used to have a 10x10 room and had to have hidden staging under my town. While nice to park trains, it was completely useless to build trains.

Like some others, I don't have a classification track either, but might be nice to have at some point on another layout in the future. With regards the question though, I would think that a "classification" track, or set of tracks, would have to be long enough to accommodate at least 4 or five pieces of rolling stock plus engine/s each.

My yard is decent sized for the room I have. Its 6 tracks about 7 ft. long. Then I have staging tracks in my extension room. The staging holds 4 long passenger trains, and 3 freight trains. It about 6 ft in length.

Main room yard here.

P1010033.JPG

And staging in the other room here (I still need to lay 3 more tracks for the freights):

P1000057.JPG

Thank you guys, so much, for the replies and pictures.

Mine will be long enough for 8-10 cars, just long enough for a staged train to go out and come back with the switched out cars, and only 3 tracks for 3 staged trains.
Lynn

Basement layouts are common and I've seen guys with basement layouts that didn't have much of a staging yard. I've also seen smaller layouts that were mainly staging yards.
Now I am confused because the conversation started with "classification" yards and now you are saying "staging" yard. Those two serve entirely different purposes and in my book are different things. I used to have an N-scale layout that had a 6 foot staging yard on a 2'x8' layout. All my layout designs include the longest and most number of staging tracks possible.

So are you asking about yards where whole trains are stored and staged when not in use on the layout, or are you asking about classification yards where trains are broken down and the cars are classified toward their final destinations?

Back