How Do You Attach Bus Wires to HCD?

riverotter1948

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
Well, I've managed to paint myself into a corner and am wondering how others have solved this situation: I used hollow core doors (HCDs) with 2" foam on top as the foundation of my new layout. How the heck do I attach the bus wires to the underside of the HCDs to run power all around the layout to the feeder wires? Duct tape doesn't seem to stick very well :eek:

I didn't use hcd but could you staple the bus to the legs? I used a staple gun to attach my bus to the 2x4 legs and haven't had any probs. What you might be able to do is screw in eye screws and put guerrilla glue on the end and/or in the hole. Wire shouldn't weigh enough to pull it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Ten

How about?
Screws along the outer edge where the wood backing is.
Two holes close together to get a tye wrap or wire fed through, to hold the feeds.
The dollar store had some velcro straps. Glue or staple them to the bottom.
Router a slit a few inches and repeat to the destination just enough to feed the wire in the door.
Glue a slat to the bottom and use screws.
Place the wire on top of the door before adding the two inch foam.:cool:
Groove the foam on the side or from the top and fill over it.
Use telephone poles.
Use half inch PVC make a tree and feed the wires through and attach to the edges using bracketts and screws.
For the brave staple gun.:eek:
Just ideas Hope you enjoyed the read.

Eyes screws are a good idea too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's your answer:

pRS1C-2763034w345.jpg

Available at Radio Shack (Part #278-1647) for $5 for a 10 pack. They stick to almost any surface and you can run four or five #16 wires through them and have them well secured and the wires out of the way. I've had them on my layout for over two years and they are still strong as iron.

DUB:
Lots of very intriguing ideas. I'll consider them carefully. Thank you!

UP2CSX:
Wouldn't you know that RS would have a gizmo like this? I'll head over to the local store Monday and check them out, especially what they use to stick to surfaces. Thanks!

Back