How do I fill a gap?

As I mentioned in another post while building a Rail Power Products loco, I accidentaly shaved off too much plastic trying to get rid of flash and now there is a gap between the cab and shell. What is the best way to fill this gap in? Is there a bondo of sorts for models?

I find that wood putty works well for filling in an area like you mention. just use a small screw driver like a putty knife. you might want to put a backing on it, let it dry and sand smooth.

Squadron Green Putty is what I have used for years. If there's room behind the gap, glue a piece of styrene there so the putty will hold better.

+1 for the Squadron Green putty, It has more inherent strength than wood putty, is finer than one's like the Testors brand, and will make an almost perfect joint with a good sanding job.

+2 on Squadron, the only other product is gap filling CA an some CA accelerator, and build it up, then file off..

+3 on the Squadron Green putty. Using the putty made a neat job of filling the mounting slots in this shell (actually two pieces of shells) the putty dries without shrinking and is easy to file or sand smooth. Couldn't do the job without it.
Cheers
Willis

As I mentioned in another post while building a Rail Power Products loco, I accidentaly shaved off too much plastic trying to get rid of flash and now there is a gap between the cab and shell. What is the best way to fill this gap in? Is there a bondo of sorts for models?

Well actually you can use "bondo", works good

Another vote for Squadron Green Putty. They also make a white putty, but I haven't tried that. If the putty seems too thick, you can mix in a very small amount of liquid plastic cement. After the putty is completely dry, wet sand with 600-grit wet-or-dry sandpaper.

I've used Bondo and it does work, although I agree with Josh that it's a lot more messy than using Squadron Green. OTOH, if you're used to working with Bondo on cars (which I'm not), it would be a very viable alternative to model putty.

Back