How and when do you add fire escapes?

bigken462

This is my latest weekend project. Initially I was only planning to paint and weather, and this time around maybe trying my hand at adding some lights. But after looking at several other pictures, I was wondering if it was too late to add some fire escapes to the side wall.

Is this something I should have put on there before I painted, or can those be applied afterwards when the building is already glued together?

Thanks much,

Kenny

IMG0574-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fire escapes are generally black or grey in color so unless you wanted them the same color as the building you'd want to paint them and apply after the walls were done. Walthers offers both a vintage escape and a modern escape kit.

I paint mine flat black and weather them rust color before gluing them to a building. Once installed I dry brush rust streaks down the building under them. I even use just one platform with a safety cage rather than an escape ladder on some industrial buildings for acess to ventilation equipment on an upper floor.

On average so I can kinda get a picture of what I may need to do, are they attached to the building by just gluing, or are they some other mortised pin type thing where you would need to drill a few pilot holes? or would I just need to remove some paint to get down to a gluing surface?

Easiest thing I suppose is just order some up and go from there, but I'm curious as to how they attach to the building.

Kenny

Back