Hogwarts Express!!!

Amtrak47

I have just bought a new Bachmann ho scale Hogwarts Express Locomotive and tender car! I will post pics of when I get it! :D

I plan on getting the carriages from British OO scale Hornby to go with it!

So does this mean you'll be building a replica of the Hogworts castle in HO scale too? This HO scale replica of the castle was on display at the Timonium train show last year. Its NOT mine. I don't know who built it, but the detail and weathering looked great and it was huge. Sorry the picture isn't better. The camera on my phone isn't very good.
561942_434388109941578_2058908502_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They had one at the club, too. Apparently it wasn't very powerful either. A member claimed he was going to re-motor and weight it heavily but I don't believe that ever happened.

So what? a lot of Bachmann steam locomotive aren't powerfull. I have a ringling bros 0-6-0 from bachmann and it can only pull its own cars. The locomotive doesn't want to know about any other cars, lol. Besides its the Hogwarts express! the Hornby version isn't even near correct to the prototype. Worst case scenario, i'll have some one fix up the motor :p

So does this mean you'll be building a replica of the Hogworts castle in HO scale too? This HO scale replica of the castle was on display at the Timonium train show last year. Its NOT mine. I don't know who built it, but the detail and weathering looked great and it was huge. Sorry the picture isn't better. The camera on my phone isn't very good.
561942_434388109941578_2058908502_n.jpg

No, I don't like anything about Harry Potter except for the Hogwarts Express :D:p:rolleyes:

Awesome castle.

I made a Hogwart's Express mixed train for our club open house days. Of course, it was the big hit. The original engine broke when my son sent it to the floor, but I painted two other engines to match the Hogwart's colors.

I combined the two trains for the club--so it was double-headed, one engine having sound.

rollingstock13.jpg

rollingstock14.jpg

Here old Brakie gives Harry the scoop on the brakeman's duties.

rollingstock05.jpg

Filch works the caboose brakes.

rollingstock04.jpg

Kids. What can you do?

rollingstock06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The only issue I have with the Hornby Hogwarts Express is that its pickups are unreliable and after converting to DCC, short breaks in connectivity cause the loco to slam to a halt at each momentary instance (like cold frogs.) Adding contacts to the tender wheels solved the problem and now I get beautiful performance over miles of scale modular club track.

8006.jpg

overheadsmall_zps6f1c4d24.jpg

In my case, its because I like running OO scale trains and the Hornby carriages have the correct markings for the Hogwarts Railway.

just confused !! isn't the Bachmann loco HO ??? I thought HO carriages would make more sense !! if you like running oo hornbys Hogwarts express loco would make more sense !!

That Hogwarts castle is amazing, but I have to guess it's much smaller than HO scale, even though it's on an HO layout (Selective compression)

Built to HO scale, that thing would be truly immense!

just confused !! isn't the Bachmann loco HO ??? I thought HO carriages would make more sense !! if you like running oo hornbys Hogwarts express loco would make more sense !!

HO and OO are close enough it won't really matter, they'll be a bit larger, if they're even true to scale, and he probably likes those coaches better.

suggested going all HO or all OO for a reason !! yes they are close scales when viewed separately but the scales are a world apart when run together !! as my photo demos of two 4F locos together one HO one OO , the person posting may be happy in the short term but how often do we get further down the line and think " I wish I'd bought into one scale or the other !!"

2007_0403melandste0013.jpg

Idk, maybe because I know squat about British railway consists :p haha Like I know theres the BR and LMS coaches, honestly they look the same, someone wanna tell me the differences? :confused:

HO and OO are close enough it won't really matter, they'll be a bit larger, if they're even true to scale, and he probably likes those coaches better.

Bachmann, Hornby...... Idk what to have the locomotive pull! lol. I've had this since like March 2013 and have no clue what to do with it.....No i'm not selling it, lol.

Back