HO trains the old way DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
*** PLANE OLD DC. ARE THERE ANY OUT THERE WHO RUN STRIGHT DC, THE ORIGINAL WAY.I always liked the way my engines sounded without the supposed accurate sound systems. I like to run trains. It is fun. I don't like to make and break up trains in yards. It is too much like work. I guess I have not lost track of what play is .Simply put, It is the opposite of work. This new system seems to be a big waste of money. When you don't have much, you have less to spend. When you have A LOT of equipment collected thro' the years, the cost of changing over is enormous. When I think about it I really don't see enough reason to change. I now run my 1950s, thro' 2010 equipment together with no real problem. I can enjoy it all. I have 4 Broadway limited locomotives. You lose a lot of throttle control with them. I know the first 3 volts is used for the sound system. It allows the locos to make idling noises. If I leave the volume turned up it becomes too distracting. I run 3 trains at once and need to be watching them , not be distracted. enough for now.

frank

I plan on doing this with my N Scale. I figure I will just run the thing around the track and enjoy it. I doubt highly I will ever have a yard per se. problems just more make believe towns the train somehow circles or snakes through.

huh? was that a rant? not sure why. if you like DC, by all means stay there, but IMHO when you at a point of running three trains, why not control them independently? to much money? perhaps, but are you sure you actually seen it in action? if you had i bet you would have seen plenty of reasons to change. and the control i needle point precise (given the engine). sitting back and watching train run laps is fun, but after how many do you have enough of it?

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed today? I agree, what is the rant about? You don't like DCC because you have too many engines to convert? Convert them at your own pace, you don't have to make them all DCC right this second.

If you like seeing the trains run around in circles, so that's what makes you happy, it's your railroad, just have fun.

*** PLANE OLD DC. ARE THERE ANY OUT THERE WHO RUN STRIGHT DC, THE ORIGINAL WAY.I always liked the way my engines sounded without the supposed accurate sound systems. I like to run trains. It is fun. I don't like to make and break up trains in yards. It is too much like work. I guess I have not lost track of what play is .Simply put, It is the opposite of work. This new system seems to be a big waste of money. When you don't have much, you have less to spend. When you have A LOT of equipment collected thro' the years, the cost of changing over is enormous. When I think about it I really don't see enough reason to change. I now run my 1950s, thro' 2010 equipment together with no real problem. I can enjoy it all. I have 4 Broadway limited locomotives. You lose a lot of throttle control with them. I know the first 3 volts is used for the sound system. It allows the locos to make idling noises. If I leave the volume turned up it becomes too distracting. I run 3 trains at once and need to be watching them , not be distracted. enough for now.

frank

Hi Frank, :)

I don't have a layout yet, and even though I have some DCC ready engines, the layout will still run by simple low tech DC, with isolated electrically switched sidings to engine houses so I can turn on whichever engine I'm going to operate. I also have two manual turntables and all the switches are manual with Caboose high throws so that I get to operate everything by hand to maximise play value. :)

After having had trains since I was 4 years old I have reached the point 59 years later where I am fed up with wiring anything whether DC or DCC so I have decided to abandon all that and also go green by running clockwork tin plate only. I have 1/2 of a ping pong table with a circle of track so I can sit back and watch the train just run itself dizzy. Every 5 or 6 laps it finally unwinds to a stop, just like the real thing having to stop for water or coal. In fact my Marx NYC 0-4-0 Broadway Limited just came to a stop while I am posting this. Now, where did I put that key?? :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: this is not a slam at anyone, merely a tongue in cheek message that is saying this hobby is so great because you can be involved any way you like. It is your dream, your time, and your money, enjoy it as you see fit.

I have a large layout & I can run 3 long trains on 1 track. I have 2 mainlines & can run 6 trains. I have DC only & will never change to DCC. has nothing to do w/not changing all my engines. I have 2 diff. sound systems w/all kinds of sounds. Only run DC. My yards will hold about 8 engines hooked up to 15 to 25 cars each. I have 2 engine servicing facilites that will hold about 30 engines on 1 & 10 engines on the other. I have 4 long sidings on other parts of the layout that have engines w/long trains. I have 6 long tracks in my container yards that hold 6 engines w/10 container or spine cars behind each engine. I have an 8 track coal loading tipple that holds about 35 loaded coal cars each & I keep 3 engines in that area. Only run DC. Almost all my turnouts are operated w/groundthrows & the other third are operated w/cables. I have over 50 toggle switches to operate all of the sidings. I have 2 DC transformers. 1 stationary & 1 walkaround. Over 600 ft. of code 100 track. Run it all by myself. Only have derailments when visitors are in the trainroom. I can run trains for months w/out any derailments, but, soon as someone shows up, bam, derailments. LOL Only have DC.

huh? was that a rant? not sure why. if you like DC, by all means stay there, but IMHO when you at a point of running three trains, why not control them independently? to much money? perhaps, but are you sure you actually seen it in action? if you had i bet you would have seen plenty of reasons to change. and the control i needle point precise (given the engine). sitting back and watching train run laps is fun, but after how many do you have enough of it?

Don't get in a thither. What your missing is I do control them independently. That is what block wireing does. As to laps who cares. I enjoy running trains. It is not necessary for me to enjoy trains in the same manner as you do. I see no need to triple the cost of my hobby to keep up with the you. I am not attacking you but you seem to be comeing after something. So buz off this is not a DCC, thread leave it alone. You have enough threads of your own.

Don't get in a thither. What your missing is I do control them independently. That is what block wireing does. As to laps who cares. I enjoy running trains. It is not necessary for me to enjoy trains in the same manner as you do. I see no need to triple the cost of my hobby to keep up with the you. I am not attacking you but you seem to be comeing after something. So buz off this is not a DCC, thread leave it alone. You have enough threads of your own.

Hold on a minute here. You first came off as a rant, and tankist was just trying to figure out why.

I still don't get your post. You're happy with DC? Great then, glad your having fun.

/golf clap

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed today? I agree, what is the rant about? You don't like DCC because you have too many engines to convert? Convert them at your own pace, you don't have to make them all DCC right this second.

If you like seeing the trains run around in circles, so that's what makes you happy, it's your railroad, just have fun.

Why are DCC people smugg in there remarks. What did I say to you. I only spoke of my experances with DC and why I dont change. Also when you follow a question with a question and then another question. that is ranting. It is what you are doing. your a pretty nasty person.

I have a large layout & I can run 3 long trains on 1 track. I have 2 mainlines & can run 6 trains. I have DC only & will never change to DCC. has nothing to do w/not changing all my engines. I have 2 diff. sound systems w/all kinds of sounds. Only run DC. My yards will hold about 8 engines hooked up to 15 to 25 cars each. I have 2 engine servicing facilites that will hold about 30 engines on 1 & 10 engines on the other. I have 4 long sidings on other parts of the layout that have engines w/long trains. I have 6 long tracks in my container yards that hold 6 engines w/10 container or spine cars behind each engine. I have an 8 track coal loading tipple that holds about 35 loaded coal cars each & I keep 3 engines in that area. Only run DC. Almost all my turnouts are operated w/groundthrows & the other third are operated w/cables. I have over 50 toggle switches to operate all of the sidings. I have 2 DC transformers. 1 stationary & 1 walkaround. Over 600 ft. of code 100 track. Run it all by myself. Only have derailments when visitors are in the trainroom. I can run trains for months w/out any derailments, but, soon as someone shows up, bam, derailments. LOL Only have DC.
Sounds realy good. I do the same thing in running complete trains. I dont have the room anymore to do what you do. I have just a attic layout. My yard has only a 4 track ladder. three for made up trains a the other to slip arround the yard and get down to the roundhouse area. If I keep my trains at 10 cars, 2 of the yard tracks can easily hold a second train. I can store 5 made up trains, and run two.
frank

Hold on a minute here. You first came off as a rant, and tankist was just trying to figure out why.

I still don't get your post. You're happy with DC? Great then, glad your having fun.

/golf clap

This isn't a DCC thread. Go away ! Stop trying to pick a argument. If you read what larry, NH Mike , and tooter said that is what this thread is about. read my words. there is no rant there. there sure is in you wording. If the capitols upset you, growup.
frank

I use straight dc as well. It's not that I wouldn't like dcc, but the amount of effort and money compared to the benefits doesn't add up to me. I'm more of a builder with the trains being part of the scenery. Going around in circles doesn't require computers!:D Do what you like, just don't belittle others for doing what they like.

Wow...the level of hostility in this thread seems completely uncharacteristic with what I've experienced in this forum.

I think this thread needs to go away...

*** PLANE OLD DC. ARE THERE ANY OUT THERE WHO RUN STRIGHT DC, THE ORIGINAL WAY.

Not anymore. I went to full DCC with my new layout 5 years ago. Its cheeper in the long run and operation is more efficent.

I always liked the way my engines sounded without the supposed accurate sound systems.

old BB athearns sounding like a grinder was never appealing to me? and I never cared for the silent running of a loco after I found sound decoders.

I like to run trains. It is fun. I don't like to make and break up trains in yards. It is too much like work.

last time I checked Model railroading was to represent what a railroad does. they bring freight/ passenger cars to and from...I guess that is kinda like work? but thats simply how it works

I guess I have not lost track of what play is .Simply put, It is the opposite of work. This new system seems to be a big waste of money. When you don't have much, you have less to spend. When you have A LOT of equipment collected thro' the years, the cost of changing over is enormous.

enjoy what you will. It is a big cost to convert alot of equipment collected over many years.

When I think about it I really don't see enough reason to change. I now run my 1950s, thro' 2010 equipment together with no real problem. I can enjoy it all. I have 4 Broadway limited locomotives. You lose a lot of throttle control with them. I know the first 3 volts is used for the sound system.

then dont change if you enjoy it.. however DCC will be a standard soon. Its just a matter of time. things progress and it is up to the person to keep up or stay his pace.

I run 3 trains at once and need to be watching them , not be distracted. enough for now.

more reason to use DCC. instead of DC. With DC your time is spent controling the track and being distracted by mulitible toggles and throttles . With DCC you control the locos. depending on the DCC system...If you have a walk around throttle you can closely watch you locos and slow them as need be. if your in a jam about to crash you simply press one button and shut the whole layout off.

frank[/QUOTE]

;) Trent

I like to run trains. It is fun. I don't like to make and break up trains in yards. It is too much like work. I guess I have not lost track of what play is .Simply put, It is the opposite of work.
frank

Hi Frank, :)

Your point about what each of us regards as work and play is a valid one. Since wiring is my work, I want the low tech layout I play with to be as simple, mechanical, primitive, and devoid of wiring as possible! ;)

Greg

Don't get in a thither. What your missing is I do control them independently. That is what block wireing does. As to laps who cares. I enjoy running trains. I see no need to triple the cost of my hobby to keep up with the you. I am not attacking you but you seem to be comeing after something. So buz off this is not a DCC, thread leave it alone. You have enough threads of your own.

buz of? what is the purpose of your thread exactly?

Wow...the level of hostility in this thread seems completely uncharacteristic with what I've experienced in this forum.

I think this thread needs to go away...

where do you see high level of hostility? even profanity is not here yet. after we get there perhaps something will need to be removed.

OP however needs to rethink what is worth posting and what is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back