HO Scale Layout Questions

airport1246

Station Agent
Hello All,
I am just starting a model of the south shore line that runs from south bend to chicago. I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for me.
First, I started out in the hobby with power-loc, and I hate it. What would be my best bet for track? I am really leaning twards code 83 flextrack.
Next, I want to model millennium station in downtown chicago as it is today. The station is underground, so my thought in modelling it is to use two sheets of extruded pink foam, and carve out a gradually sloping channel that eventually goes undeground to run track in. On top of this, I will attempt to build a representation of modern-day downtown chicago. Will this work, and look realistic? Check out these pics to give you a better idea of what I'm trying to do
Thanks!

http://marcel-marchon.com/img--120054283--South-Shore-trains-at-Millenium-Randolph-Street-station--m.jpg

http://www.redoveryellow.com/trips/chicago/31436_randolph_street_station.jpg

Flex track would be a much better choice, especially for the South Shore, which had some pretty sharp curves.

Your basic plan would waork although I'd use sheet styrene for the unground tracd and gradually descending and ascending posts to hold up the foam board. It's much easier to get a good grade with .020 styrene. There's a modeler who has already done what you want to do. I don't remember his name offhand but search here at at the Model Railroader forums for subway and I'm sure you'll run across him.

More questions about the South Shore.

Thanks!
I've started carving out the incline into the station, and plan to carve out the station today. I was wondering about platforms. I'll need two of them, and they will each have to be about a foot long and 2-1/2 inches wide. I've seen paper models, does anyone have any insight on these, or is there a better alternative?

I'd make the platforms out of styrene over paper, It should be just as easy to work with but will be way more durable.

Are you also modeling Millennium Park? The "Bean" and bandshell ought to be a challenge. My hat's off to you if you take it on! I doubt I could ever do downtown.

Have you checked out the rebuilt BNSF (HO) layout at the Museum of Sci and Industry? That might give you some additional ideas / inspiration.

If you mix materials, don't mix wood with styrene sheet under .015" thick. I learned this the hard way, my Barstow tower is falling apart, the wood expends and contracts, causing the plastic to pop and buckle.

Are you also modeling Millennium Park? The "Bean" and bandshell ought to be a challenge. My hat's off to you if you take it on! I doubt I could ever do downtown.

Have you checked out the rebuilt BNSF (HO) layout at the Museum of Sci and Industry? That might give you some additional ideas / inspiration.

Hey Beachbum,
I am planning to model Millennium Park, but haven't thought about what to model the bean (Cloud Gate) out of. I thought about painted clay, but it would'nt give the shine like the prototype.

I have seen the layout at the MSI, in fact that's where my inspiration for this layout came from. It's amazing how realistic that one is!

Thanks,
Airport 1246

my .02 flex track and tight curves are a nightmare to keep the track joints straight.

use sectional track if you can this will help keep things flat and even around joints. as far as an underground sceen.

Does anybody make trains/cars like what the south shore uses ? Hows your SS build going ?. Im thinking about getting back into model railroading and I want to include the south shore.

Back