HO motive power u use.

Update, the H8 #1633 is going to pick up a caboose and head out eastbound to get a string of 34 loaded coal cars from JE minerals mine #127. As for zoegraf's request

100_2933.jpg

100_2934.jpg

100_2935.jpg

Oh this is easier

th_100_2936.jpg

And as for the power on the ready track

100_2932.jpg

Impressive. I especially like the shot of the switcher with the scene in the BG of the the little house in it. I envy model railroaders with layouts with such depth. I have a narrow shelf layout; 12 inches at it's widest.

That is not as deep as it looks. The house is N scale, I think it is called forced perspective. Here is another angle. If you look next to the sand tower you will see that house.

100_0497.png

Not as far as it appears. Might be 2 feet. I have another photo with forced perspective but I can't find it right now. I will keep looking.
With some thought you can make it look a lot deeper than it is. At one end of my yard I have a mirror. I have had one guy run into it with a locomotive thinking the track continues. That was a good laugh. As you can see in the photo it is next to the door. There have been people who walked in, stopped, walked back out trying to figure it out. The other side of the door is out side, my back yard.

100_0915.png

That is not as deep as it looks. The house is N scale, I think it is called forced perspective. Here is another angle. If you look next to the sand tower you will see that house.
*Not as far as it appears. Might be 2 feet. I have another photo with forced perspective but I can't find it right now. I will keep looking.
With some thought you can make it look a lot deeper than it is. At one end of my yard I have a mirror. I have had one guy run into it with a locomotive thinking the track continues. That was a good laugh. As you can see in the photo it is next to the door. There have been people who walked in, stopped, walked back out trying to figure it out. The other side of the door is out side, my back yard.

Lester, very nice layout photos. I like what you've done with the depth of field. Seams like you need some Z gague trains back there to really mess viewers up.
keep up the good work.

frank

Nice looking photos, everyone, and some very impressive rosters. To get back to the original question (which I think what do you have running now), it's more like what I have sitting on the tracks, since I haven't run a train in about two months. One Prattville & Northern 70 tonner doing street running in downtown to work the paint company spur, a P&N SW-1500 working the yard and interchange track, a UP SD-24 and SDP-35 working the through freight, and an NKP GP-30 and SD-7 in the siding with the local. I've got a bunch more engines, but that's about all that will fit on my dinky layout. As you can see, I run a very eclectic and unprototypical mixture of motive power. :)

Nice looking photos, everyone, and some very impressive rosters. To get back to the original question (which I think what do you have running now), it's more like what I have sitting on the tracks, since I haven't run a train in about two months. One Prattville & Northern 70 tonner doing street running in downtown to work the paint company spur, a P&N SW-1500 working the yard and interchange track, a UP SD-24 and SDP-35 working the through freight, and an NKP GP-30 and SD-7 in the siding with the local. I've got a bunch more engines, but that's about all that will fit on my dinky layout. As you can see, I run a very eclectic and unprototypical mixture of motive power. :)

Is the Prattville & Northern your road on is it a local real one. If yours hqw are they painted. Photo would be nice.

frank

Frank, it's my fictional Alabama shortline. It has all of two locomotives on the roster, a 70 tonner bought new, and a UP SW-1500 bought used and patched. Alas, it's all my poverty sticken shortline can afford. :)

638pullingcarsintheyardMedium.jpg

100_1748.jpg

My Ge Dash-9 are doing mixed freight on the main, but now the VIA-Commuter Train System (VIA-CTS) has just signed a contrat with Amtrak for the prolongation of the Acela Express up to Montreal ! They intented to use some Bombardier LRC too, once they will be release by the manifacturer, to create a fast Montreal-New York line

Re

Today running the outside mainline is a freight running west bound. It has Athearn power. A Fairbanks Morris H24-66 trainmaster of the Reading railroad # 801 in later yellow and green, pulling 14 cars. All Ahm, and Ihc. all 40 footers, boxs, refers, and chemical tank cars. Running the inside Main east bound is another Fairbanks Morris, a Atlas CNJ H15-44 Baby Trainmaster #1510 green, and yellow double striper, with it special Lowery designed body pulling a 3 car passenger train. The beasts are on the loose. frank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wait you mean model RR, sorry. The only thing going on here is a mountain in the shop this afternoon. I think it will be back in service tomorrow.

Today running the outside mainline is a freight running west bound. It has Athearn power. A Fairbanks Morris H24-66 trainmaster of the Reading railroad # 801 in later yellow and green, pulling 14 cars. All Ahm, and Ihc. all 40 footers, boxs, refers, and chemical tank cars. Running East bound on the inside Main is another Fairbanks Morris, a Atlas CNJ H15-44 Baby Trainmaster #1510 green, and yellow double striper, with it special Lowery designed body pulling a 3 car passenger train. The beasts are on the loose. All Dc. frank.

re

Sunday, The Reading has droped off the freight at the Frankford yard and the Pennsy has taken it in tow. A RS3 #8856, and a RS1 #5633 wait opposite the Frankford Station at Bergen Point. Awaiting clearance to proceed. These are two Atlas locomotives. All stright DC locomotives.

Pennsy class A5 by coaling tower

* Pennsy class A5 by coaling tower. This is a old all Metal John English Locomotive. And is a DC only locomotive.

I had one of those John English models way back when. They looked pretty good in their day. Glad to see one is alive and kicking. :)

Hi Jim

I had one of those John English models way back when. They looked pretty good in their day. Glad to see one is alive and kicking. :)

Hi Jim, I am glad you like the John English stuff from back then. I am a older guy, 64. I n 1963 out of high school I didn't want the government to tell me which branch of the Military I had to be in. with two brothers one in the Army and the other a Marine. I chose the Navy out of what was left. After almost 4 years I returned home and the trains started and kept on going. I definitely not a short time molder. the John English and there HObbyline lines were well known to me. I have Mikados, Pacifics, and Pennsy A5s in John English die cast. Another bunch of A5s with plastic bodies and 5 FM H10-44s by HObbyline. All still running except a JE A5 kit that I took the side rods from years ago to repair another loco. There just a small part of my HO trains. Nice talking to you.

frank

LOL, Frank, we're the same age. I never served in the military though. Had a vital occupation deferment because I was a respiratory therapist and then had kids come along at the right time. When they finally got around to drawing draft numbers, mine was 322, so I wasn't going get drafted no matter what. I had some of the John English and Hobbyline models during that time period as well. They have all vanished into the mists of time, unfortunately. I wish I would have saved a few. :(

Today running the outside mainline is a freight running west bound. It has Athearn power. A Fairbanks Morris H24-66 trainmaster of the Reading railroad # 801 in later yellow and green, pulling 14 cars. All Ahm, and Ihc. all 40 footers, boxs, refers, and chemical tank cars. Running East bound on the inside Main is another Fairbanks Morris, a Atlas CNJ H15-44 Baby Trainmaster #1510 green, and yellow double striper, with it special Lowery designed body pulling a 3 car passenger train. The beasts are on the loose. All Dc. frank.

Wow!... :eek:

That #1510 Fairbanks Morse is beautiful! :)

About what year timeframe would it be?

By the way... is that a meat thermometer on the roof of your station? Hope it never gets near that hot on your layout. ;)

Greg

Back