History of All Kinds

June 5, 2004:
American politician Ronald Reagan—who, as the 40th President of the United States (1981–89) died at age 93.
1717593255940.png

Saving sand and dirt: You might remember this scene from "Saving Private Ryan:"

...although for all I know someone saw HIM doing it himself, and so he--your uncle Carryl--is the man who inspired that very scene.

----------------

One other: I was privileged to know a B-25 gunship pilot who served in the Pacific Theater. He was shot down not far off a Japanese held beach, but managed to survive it (the Japanese were on their way out to get the air-crew with a gunboat, but I have the idea a submarine snagged them away to safety in the end). Five of the six who crashed that day survived the war.

Unlike so many WWII vets, he would regularly give talks about it, and of the things he said that one comment which most stuck with me were his words about the one crewman of the six who did NOT get out of that B-25 before it sank: "He's still guarding the plane."

Oh...boy. That one always gets to me. 😭

----------------

Not long before he passed away a vet-support organization apparently found the wreck a few-hundred yards off the beach. It seems the natives had pretty much looted the wreck over the years, but the two engines were still there.

And I guess someone thought to bring him a jar of sand from the crash-site. Pretty damned nice of whoever it was, or whoever they were who did that.

He passed a short time later, I think. Maybe (?) content in the end?

--------

If I'm ever lucky enough to see him again, I'll ask him.

Last edited:
Loved the Concorde! It was so sleek looking. Would of loved to have flown on it.

I did a science fair presentation in 7th grade on it.

View attachment 190668
One of the most stunningly beautifull aircraft ever designed. I was living on Long Island starting in 1988, and was almost directly under one of the approach lanes to JFK International. Being either Air France, or British Airlines, everyone in sight would look up when one of those birds was approaching. I feel very fortunate being able to witness these sights and sounds.

June 24, 1953

US President Franklin Pierce signs the Gadsden Purchase, buying 29,670 square-miles (76,800 square km) from Mexico for $10 million (now southern Arizona and New Mexico).
I wonder what Mexico did with the money? I am going to guess he purchased it in gold.

Interesting the buying and selling of land back then, also the treaty mentioned above. Much of it later disputed if they thought they got the "short end of the stick"

I wonder what Mexico did with the money? I am going to guess he purchased it in gold.

Interesting the buying and selling of land back then, also the treaty mentioned above. Much of it later disputed if they thought they got the "short end of the stick"
From Wikipedia, some historians argue that Santa Anna may have calculated it was better to yield territory by treaty and receive payment rather than have the territory simply seized by the United States.

You could say "it was an offer they couldn't refuse"

Leyte gulf: A sub-battle to that operation known as "The Battle of Surigao Strait," where Rear Admiral Oldendorf "crossed the T" in a night action against strong elements of the Japanese navy. Among them the battleship Fuso and the heavy cruiser Mogami.

If memory serves, the Mogami limped away from "The battle of Midway," but survived to fight another day. I don't remember if the night fight in Surigao was that last day/ night or not.

Last edited:
^^^ That said, it's "The battle of Samar" and Taffy 3 which might best be remembered, even by those only passingly familiar with Leyte Gulf.

FWIW, I DO remember the wreck of the USS Johnston was found a few years back something over 19,000 feet down. The deepest war grave ever found at that time. Which is appropriate, IMO.

Back