High Speed rail is dead...

High Speed rail is dead?

It was DOA to begin with. The Ohio version was going to rocket from Cleveland to Columbus at 44 MPH and couldnt get you back and forth in the same day for an OSU game. Now its high speed buses. Where do these people get these ideas?
Wayne

Great video, very informative. But it sounds more like something GW would have dreamt up!

We love our trucks and cars in N. America, and we like our goods delivered last weekend. With that orientation to living, passenger rail on any kind of grand scale is a white elephant. Mandate fewer cars in and around cities, tax the heck out of parking and gas, make gas prices reflect what the rest of the world pays, and maybe passenger/light rail transit might become more economical. right now it just doesn't make sense and doesn't fit in with family timetables and budgets.

To me, HSR is anything higher than 200 km/hr. To the rest of the advancing world, it's more like 300 km/hr.

Crandell

Ah, yes High speed rail in America. I can drive 76 miles N to Syracuse and catch an Amtrack train {that is supposedly going to go to "high speed rail"} to NYC for a mere $250 round trip {$125 one way}. That is $500 round trip for the two of us to go and it will take 1.25 hours to drive to SYR, at least a half hour to wait for the train {want to be there ahead of time naturally} and then train ride it into the city in about 2.5 hours so 4.25 hours total for the trip.
The other half would like to do this so we can "arrive at Grand Central Terminal In style" {not sure that that is possible on that train yet- I don't think so, we'd have to change trains somewhere to one that DOES go to Grand Central I think to do that}.

OR I can drive from my house to Manhattan in 3.5 hours {we have friends who frequently work in the city} and be there for a lot cheaper on gas and wear and tear on my car than the said $500 for the train trip. For the same $500, on a budget, I can stay two nights at a fancy hotel in the city with parking for $150/night, pay for the less than $100 in gas to get there and back{though with gas prices jumping the way they are....?}, and eat out for two days in the city at some cute little bistros. I could probably squeeze in some subway tokens and go further than I can walk around the city a bit. I can go when I want, come home when I want. The onlyest thing I can't do is "arrive at Grand Central in style". Shopping either way with the train or with the minivan is a given add-on expense should we see something in the city that we absolutely must have and cannot live without. THe minivan can hold a lot more than I want to carry back on the train.

My money is on taking my car for a two day trip in my car to city, not just taking the train to get there and back. Grand style or not.;)

Or I can take the bus.
________
Problems with paxil

Last edited by a moderator:
people should watch the video before commenting. It's a pretty bad spoof. Ratings for that show must be pretty low.:rolleyes:

Ahhha, ok I think I'll take the 200mph bus on my next trip. Who needs high speed rail when you have designated bus lanes. :confused::eek::D

Good grief I saw "165 mph Buses" And I got hopeful for a second, but then I saw Onion news network...

FWIW, I am a bus driver by trade, and I can tell you even at 80mph a bus can be scary.

Almost had me. Then I saw the other traffic in the video, trying to exit the highway. LOL! Good one.

MyReadingSig.png

Good grief I saw "165 mph Buses" And I got hopeful for a second, but then I saw Onion news network...

FWIW, I am a bus driver by trade, and I can tell you even at 80mph a bus can be scary.

Don't they already to 165?
Back when I drove semi the only thing that ever passed me in the dark on a curve on a grade was a Greyhound Bus! :p

Back