hey everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
i mean how big for the whole rail road, my dresser is 5 / 1.6 feet, but would that be too small, my house is pretty small so i have to think about space for starts. my dad gave me the idea of putting it in the garage and having a pully like system so it suspends from the ceiling.?

the basic HO layout is a 4x8 sheet of plywood then built from there. as you get older and into the operations side of things I'm finding my self wanting to rip up mine and build a shelf layout with no loop because its what i like to run for trains.

The best way to start is to inventory everything and work from there. Is there something you like about trains, a place an industry a time period. All those are key in the long term planning of any layout or model train set up.

umm, i like the 40's era train wise, there is a lumber company in my town called collins cashway, and maybe a shop model of my martial arts school.

woahhhhh, Id be verrrrrry careful about the pulley system, if you didnt tie it right around the cleat, crash, it hits the concrete floor and there goes everything. sorry to say but 5ft by foot and a halfs alittle to small, most HO scale trains have a turn radius of 18 inches, which means youve only got an inch on either side, which isnt enough to save your locomotive if it decides to derail and take a tumble towards the ground.

well like Drew said, a standard HO layout is only 4x8, thats what mine was, im working on a 10x12 layout right now. Does your home have a basement? If so what type, finished, dirt floor, or is there a cement floor?

yeah, a finished basement which has our living room, and a bathroom and my sisters bedroom. we have a crawl space, but i do not think it would work.:)

hm is there an empty room anywheres? or maybe you could build something on a sheet of plywood, then put on like a folding table or some sawhorses when you want to build it? Or do you have a walk-in closet by chance, you could build it right in there, and then put your clothes in a dresser or something? Also, what about pets?

well it depends on how big the closet it, the closets in my home are a bit large so i think i was a little ambitous with that idea. If i was you i would build it on a 4x8 sheet of plywood for your first layout. Do you have any idea what will become of the layout itself? Maybe you could take some schemes from there and save some time?

maybe i could get a few layout plans from here, and use those?

theres lots of plans for layouts on the web, but the problem is where to put them, cost, and time. You have school, maybe practice afterwards, homework, and a social life (maybe :p ), so that really only leaves weekends, vacations, and after school to work on the layout which you already said would be in a limited space. I would look at which railroads you like, or what industries or location you like and go from there.

looks like a nice layout, however if it was my choice, id make a few changes

MINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back