Hey everyone, new to model railroading!

Lame9910

Hey folks I am new to this and just getting my feet wet. Just have a basic layout getting a feel for everything. It's a bachmann setup with ez track which I am going to ditch when I build a better setup. I have a bnsf gp40 and a bnsf ac4400. The ac4400 is DCC ready I just need to put the DCC decoder in it I believe and get a DCC controller. Thanks in advanced for the help and information!

Ditch the Bachmann. If you want to stay with sectional track, I love Kato for its dependability and ease of use. Bachmann locomotives are either dependable or terrible; I've never had a bad Kato.

Whatever, the single greatest problem I've had (I'm pretty new at this, too), is learning the difference between knuckle couplers and rapid couplers. The two are not compatible; they can be swapped out, but I'm only halfway through converting 100+ freight cars and I'm getting sick of the operation. Now, before I buy any rolling stock or locos, I look at the couplers.

BTW, I'd say "Welcome," but I'm so new here, and especially since I seem to be the first to reply, the older folks might think I'm getting uppity. ;) Anyway, it's nice to have company in the shallow end of the pool.

Oh crap!

Welcome, Getting your feet wet is good and don't worry, the wetness behind the ears will soon dry out, we have a good supply of towels.

Thanks for the welcomes and info Beady. After doing some more research I have already decided to go a different route with track. The Bachmann track just seems so limited if you want to add bridges and such.

Welcome aboard Lame9910. You're right about the Bachmann track, it is very limiting. But it is good for getting your feet wet in the hobby. Tell us a little more about your interests, like scale (HO, N, etc), time frame that you like and what your modeling interests are, like switching or running, if it's not too early to tell.
Willie

Welcome to forum I to started with bachmann and still use some of the equipment. It does the job. Like Willie asked what guage you plan to use are and era. Plus how much space do you have for your layout a room or something smaller. I would suggest a good computer planning program like scarm to help you plan your layout. Here's a couple of things to think about when planning you layout space, if you plan to move it about, era prototypical or freelance like are you planning to do a certain area of the country and a certain railroad. Free Lance is more wide open you can do all that you think is cool. It's your railroad how much time and money and work is all up to you if you just want a little 4by 8or a room empire. It's need to be what you find works for you. Know techincal answers here is a great place to get them.

Hi Lame and welcome. My first layout was a Bachmann ez track and 4 x 8 plywood. When it was completed I was able to sell the layout and then built another. I have several Bachmann turnouts (and also Atlas) on this newest layout and haven't had problems that others talk about.

I have several locomotices and actually just purchased a Bachmann switcher. It had good reviews and it was painted in NP which is one of my road names. I also run Bowser and Proto 2000, along with some older Mantua and Athearn. Sometimes there is sentimental value attached.

Awesome info guys! I'm from Minnesota so I see mostly bnsf and cp. Cn up in the northern part of the state and Minnesota commercial the short line in my area. I am running ho scale. And I'm thinking of like a 6X8 layout and just incorporating 2 mainlines on the outside with some smaller industrial in the center with a small rail yard/intermodal yard. Probably run 3-4 locomotives.

I've never used ez track but did start with sectional, flex track will be something you enjoy once you get a soaker.

Welcome to the forums Lame, Glad to have you with us. There's a wealth of knowledge & information available here so don't hesitate to ask about whatever your not sure about.

I'm not in DCC myself but still running just DC as I'm still in the construction stage of my C&S West Short Line RR, but there are plenty of others who are very knowledgeable about DCC.

Enjoy,

David S.

Back