Help...!!!

Steamfreak

CEO of the LCP
OK...So I finally got around to adding power pick-ups on the tender of my PK2000 0-8-0. If you're not familiar with this model, it's got some very prototypical chains on the tender trucks. After finally figuring out how to detach them from the tender - they were held in place with tiny-teenie pins, I went about the business of putting pick-ups on the trucks and wiring them to the decoder. That was the easy part. I buttoned the tender up, checked that all was working OK, and got around to reinstalling the chains back where they belong.....
I've spent the better part of two hours trying to get ONE chain back in place with no success. The chain is squirrelier than a wet bar of soap, and trying to insert the pin into the hole on the tender floor is next to impossible. So....does anybody know how this miracle was accomplished in the first place..?? Are the Chinese endowed with some quality I'm ignorant of..?? Surely they can do it in less than two hours per pin....
Does anybody have an idea how this can be done without spending the rest of my natural life messing with it..?? The next logical step is to cut them off and call it good....

Yes...I've got one of those "wearable" magnifying glasses, two desk lamps and a loco cradle which holds things nice and steady. What I need is an extra pair of hands, and patience of Bibical proportions (of which I'm fast running out...) :eek:.

Have a pic? Seeing the problem may help someone come up with a solution ... wacky, but can you put the chain in a small tray of water and freeze it rigid?

Here you go....I can't freeze them as that would mean taking them off the trucks as well, doubling the magnitude of the problem....And such a little mass would thaw out in a matter of seconds under the heat of the lamps :(

So there's a pin that goes through the end link of the chain and into the holes above the trucks? Can you use a needle to center the end link on the hole then as you push in the retaining pin pull out the needle?

I would CA the chain tight up to the head of the pin once I got the pin inserted. Then insert the pin and rotate it until the chain hangs naturally.

I think that guy copied my "fix"....
The pins can be inserted into the chains and there would be no glue needed as they're a tight fit. I think I got the solution in mind...Now it's just a matter of being able to carry it out..!!

Well...The nasty deed is done. Took me only about 4 hours...:mad:

What surprised me was the vast vocabulary of swear words at my command.
They were repeated often, I assure you... :rolleyes:

But it turned out OK...And they do look cool...AND the li'l ol' 0-8-0 works beautifully now..So it was well worth the effort...:D

Well...The nasty deed is done. Took me only about 4 hours...:mad:

What surprised me was the vast vocabulary of swear words at my command.
They were repeated often, I assure you... :rolleyes:

But it turned out OK...And they do look cool...AND the li'l ol' 0-8-0 works beautifully now..So it was well worth the effort...:D

If you think this one was a tough job, just try putting a new mainspring into an original Remington Over-and-Under Double Derringer! :eek: You need four hands and a couple of gadgets, and there is only room for two hands! :rolleyes:

Back