Help with new layout in basement for HO scale

I think I might be at least making some progress with it. Please let me know what might and might not work. I am thinking about having the staging area along the right end wall possibly rather than under the steps just to make it easier to get to and I seem to be running out of room fairly quickly under the steps.

Hi NutNDun,
Looks as though your starting to make some progress which is good to have a general idea of what your planning of doing. Those plans can be adapted as you go along, I've already done that on my layout.

One thing you also need to consider is to not have your tracks too close to the walls, or inside edges, leave a bit of space for a scenery to add a bit more interest and possibly even a false building front or two here or there along the walls? Maybe even create a industry or two to serve that way?

You've got a nice size area to work with so just take your time and see how things unfold? Sometimes as your on building a portion of your layout other ideas will pop into your mind.

Things are unfolding for you so that's good.

Thank you for all of the suggestions.

I know the mainlines are a little closer to the walls than what I would like and I think when it comes time to actually start laying track and see how the scale is actually going to look I can adjust it. I can also paint the walls with scenes as well and I also like the idea of false buildings.

Here is what I have so far. I didn't think it would be possible to have this much time wrapped up in drawing out a layout and I am not even half way there yet. Would love to hear suggestions on what I have so far. We are going today to two different places to check out train layouts. They are only holiday setups so I don't know how they will be laid out.

Here is what I have so far:

The more I am looking at it though I am thinking that having two dedicated mainlines and a separate branchline might be trying to fit too much. Might have to see about using the inner mainline to have feeders to the different industries with crossovers to the other main as needed for passing?

Wow thats looking really good now. I like that yard design you created, perfect for a modern layout.

Don't forget scenery though. I would leave the upper right side all for scenery. Hills, valleys, lakes, rivers, streams. Just the two mainlines maybe seperation, going through that scene.

You could do like a crossover mainline. With an elevated track, bridge crossing over the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like your yard design as well. Your thoughts on the separate branchline is what I was thinking. Make an industry siding off the inner mainline to be used for local switching. Branchlines are usually not that close to other mainlines. Also, some of those spurs just to the left of the "doorway" appear to be too short to be of any use. Will there be another removable section there with extensions? Lastly, while it may be visually interesting, turntables are not generally in use any more. AC6000's are relatively modern diesels and turntables are from the steam era. That being said, I know that there are a few still in existence. Your layout, your choice.
willie

You'll have trouble reaching your mainline to the rear of your industrial park, if something derails back there. Your lead to the turntable is so broad, you will also have trouble reaching things behind the stairs. If I was going to run 'modern' locos, I think I'd skip the turntable. It would need to be over 90' most likely to turn some of the modern power. Transfer table might be a better use of space.

If you made your radius a bit tighter, you might be able to put a peninsula in the center of your room. That would probably give you another 30 or more feet of mainline, + other scenic possibilities.

From what I've seen, even most 'industrial parks from the 60's and 70's are bypassed by rail service, today and served by trucks. You have to generate a lot of carloads, for a Class I railroad to put a siding into your facility. On the other hand, shortline railroads will serve a facility that even only gets shipments seasonally, if they are hungry enough.

As for adapting the plan you had the link to earlier:
Put Newburg/East Newburg along the bottom wall
Put Eastwood where mountian home is
Trunkate the peninula before the bend.
Do away with dear creek
Put the trunkcated peninsula in the space to the right of the stairs.
Connect the mainlines-I might put in more interchanges
East Newburg could be served by a shortline/regional
Mountain Home gets lost-too many yards, anyway.

I know it has been mentioned about using 30* radius as a minimum for more realistic operation. I definitely don't want to go as small as 18* but would 24* be a good compromise for better operation and space?

I could have a peninsula that was four foot wide and up to 8' long if I used 22* radius. 24* puts me to a 5' width for 180 degree turn.

If you can fit "30 curves, or close to it, you'll be happier in the end. Especially when it comes to passenger equipment, autoracks, and six axle power.
I like the yard too but would add one more track to the maint. area.
Love the fact that you are modelling a paper mill and power plant!

Power plants and paper mills generate a lot of traffic! You might consider 28" radius for the curves of your 'inner track.' Will give you an inch or two on each side of a 5' wide board. I wouldn't consider going below 24", unless its on a siding, and you're going to use a smaller loco and cars to switch it. You could make the peninsula 4' wide, except at the end where say the 180 degree curve might be a few inches wider. Although you don't want a whole bunch of narrow aisle, is you have to loose 2-3" in a few spots to make a plan work, as long as the aisle doesn't go below 24", I think its a trade worth making-particularly if you don't plan on operating with a large crew. How long a train do you want to operate? 20 cars enough? 40? 60? Longer trains= broader curves.

I just keep having a mental block on what to do for the layout. I do like the longer trains. I definitely like consists of three or more locos. I would imagine that 20 to 30 cars for the mainline train would be the norm but would probably run longer ones whenever the mood would strike.

I would love to do two mainlines to be able to have one coming and one going and I know the layout isn't going to be completely prototypical but I would like to make a good compromise if I can.

I just didn't think designing a layout would be this tough. It is one thing to think of all the great things in your head but then when it comes time to start laying track it is completely different.

I do plan on getting John Armstrong's book.

Listen, this takes time, alot more time then people realize. All good things take time, so as much fun as it is thinking about everything that you can and might have on your layout, take your time. This is one of the best parts of building a layout, "the planning phase":eek:

You are on the right track, sometimes if it gets too much, just step back for a bit, and take a short brake, in the time you take a brake, more good thoughts will come for you to make decisions.

On your curve radius. You have a bunch of room, more then most of us. Yeah 30 inch sounds alot, but with your space it really isnt at all. What type of rolling stock do you want to run?? Are you running passenger cars? The answers to these questions will help you figure out what min radius you should/can run.
With your space, dont see why you will have to go any smaller then a 26-28 radius, 24 is just too small unless its on a siding/branchline

I agree with Rico, i like the idea of a paper mill/power plant as im modeling a paper mill also, only wish i had the space you have

If you want to get fancy and have even more mainline run, you can pull of a "nolix" with the space you have running along the walls gaining elevation to a second level. Of course you can do this with a helix as well. The word "helix" scares some people

Good points Joe!
Something else I may add is that you will make changes as you go, we all do.
I usually start with a mainline first, just to get some trains up and running.
You'll get more ideas as you go and may find things you've missed.

Thanks guys for all of the great pointers. I worked on the layout some more. I didn't get much accomplished other than possibly a plan for the paper mill.

I set it up to where there is a stream / river into a pond so it makes more sense as to why there isn't a direct line from the yard to the paper mill. I also put a block about where the warehouse could go on a peninsula. With the stream I will get to have a bridge for the mainline and I am sure I can get another bridge or two along the north wall since I would like to have the grade climb somewhere along there.

*edit*
I forgot to add the other info about rolling stock I plan on running. Mostly coal cars, box cars, gondolas, well cars. Passenger cars I am not sure about, at some point I am sure the urge would be there. I would like to get a couple of steam locomotives as time goes on even though they would not fit the era they could be more for the museum type of running. So far on the mainlines the minimum radius is 30" with the upper left being 36". The curves going to the paper mill are 24" if I am not mistaken.

Here is a pic of the progress so far.

There ya go, thats lookin better. I like that stream/river and the bridge.

How about some elevated track? Maybe in the upper right side. You have plenty of room there to get the one mainline at a 2% grade. And have like 3.5" clearance. Then have the tracks crossover each other.

Another idea. Do you like intermodel equipment? How about a nice sized intermodal yard. That would look kickars on that layout.

I've re-read this thread a couple of times, and one thing I haven't seen mentioned is when you get an idea for the layout, WRITE IT DOWN. That way when you go to put it in Anyrail, you have the basis of what you're trying to do in black and white, and you won't forget any parts of the idea as you work in the track planning program.

Another thing I would say to do, is to go ahead and develop a "history" of the Railroad. Doesn't have to be fancy, just something to keep the concept of the railroad clear in your head. Its a lot easier to plan a layout when you know what its "doing", where its going, what its purpose is, and finally, where its located.

I got a little bit of time tonight to work on the layout in anyrail. Seems like everything fills space pretty quick as you lay it out. I am sure once I actually start laying track it will be easier to place things. I mainly want to lay something out in anyrail so I can get an idea of what switches I will need.

Here is what I have so far. Still trying to figure out something for a possible bottom level staging area. I also took out the round table and put a wye in for any loco turn around. I do plan on running a steam engine or two more as a "Preserved Steam Line" that will run from point a to point b and return so I will have to see if I can fit in another wye on the other end somewhere.

I like seeing your continuing progress on paper. You don't necessarily need to have a completed plan before you start construction. The left side looks good as is right now. I started at one end (I am doing point to point) and developed some things as I went along. Starting at the left end of your yard and working around to the end point on top will give you something to run trains on; allowing you to test out your chosen radius and see how things flow. Even at the top, you could just put in 6' -9' of temporary track to provide some simple staging. My main concern at this point would be the six-track removable section at the doorway. Not that it can't be done but the pain in the rear of clearing all of those tracks every time you needed to remove it. It's still a better option than a duckunder unless your layout level is 54"+. Doors can be a very pesky thing.
willie

My main concern at this point would be the six-track removable section at the doorway. Not that it can't be done but the pain in the rear of clearing all of those tracks every time you needed to remove it. It's still a better option than a duckunder unless your layout level is 54"+. Doors can be a very pesky thing.
willie

I initially only wanted to have two, possibly three tracks on the removable section but it to do a yard size I would like to have I had to put more on it. We rarely have to go to the back half of the basement and for the most part we will just duck under it. On occasions where ducking under won't suffice then we can remove that section.

That's a good thing then. As I stated earlier, I like your yard design and would hate to see it get chopped up or thinned down. A word about that upper left corner, it seems to be a bit of a reach but minimize the scenery between the edge of the layout and that corner so there isn't anything for your shirt to snag on and it should work. Don't use trees or structures, just ground cover and some low bushes. Murphy says that's where all derailments will occur. Careful track work will be a plus.
willie

Back