HELP please, Athearn SD70MAC question

SD75M. As stated in other threads, just about everything is DCC ready, it just depends on the work. That unit requires replacing the electrical board with a DCC decoder. Its not that tough, the wires are just press fit to the board with plastic retainer clips. There's a decoder on the market thats designed to use the 1.5v bulbs included in that unit also.

As Josh stated, most engines are dcc ready. Some require more work than others.

I would recommend a TCS A6X decoder for this engine. It is a full board replacement with 1.5v leads so you don't have to worry about resistors or changing the light bulbs.
http://www.tcsdcc.com/decoder/A6X.htm

ok thanks alot man, but do these decoders, are they compatible to do consisting, advanced consisting, and universal consisting?

thanks again
Austin

The A6X will do consisting very easily. I have a few, and they will consist with my Lenz decoders, NCE decoders, and Tower55, BLI units with no problems.

ok thanks alot, man i cant wait until i get these decoders, i have 12 SD70MAC's that are DCC ready and i needed to find a decoder for them, lol guess i found it, now i need to find a decoder for my 3 C44-9W's u guys know one? there all athearn RTR.

thanks
Austin

ok thanks alot, man i cant wait until i get these decoders, i have 12 SD70MAC's that are DCC ready and i needed to find a decoder for them, lol guess i found it, now i need to find a decoder for my 3 C44-9W's u guys know one? there all athearn RTR.

thanks
Austin

Yes reading this thread just helped me understand more then my previous thread. I think this decoder makes more sense since I wont have to solder in resistors. Now will this A6X be able to control lets say class/marker lights if you dont use mars/strobes?

The A6X is a 6 function decoder, after using 2 functions for the forward and reverse lights, you stilll have 4 functions avail to do anything you want with.
I used one with a sd70m and put ditch lights on both porch's. So, anything is possible.

Yes reading this thread just helped me understand more then my previous thread. I think this decoder makes more sense since I wont have to solder in resistors. Now will this A6X be able to control lets say class/marker lights if you dont use mars/strobes?

The A6X is a six function decoder. So there are lots of functions left for other lights. And I think it has built in lighting effects for mars and strobe lights.

now i need to find a decoder for my 3 C44-9W's u guys know one? there all athearn RTR.

thanks
Austin

Try the NCE D13SRJ its a 9 pin, 4 function decoder, that works great in the Athearn RTR series, IMO. I've only had 1 bad 1, but thats because the Athearn board went out and shorted the decoder.

$14.75 for a single plus shipping http://www.dcctrain.com/preorder/shop/item.asp?itemid=1057
$12.95 plus shipping http://www.empirenorthernmodels.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/549/NCE D13SRJ 4 function, 9 pin (JST)

Last edited by a moderator:
:cool:
Yes. You can use the A6X in any Athearn Genesis SD70 Series locomotive. Some of the newer releases have an 8pin DCC plug, but I would still replace the board with an A6X. It is easier than adding resistors for the light bulbs.

I will say this about the Athearn decoder ready boards, they will take any compatable decoder 8pin or 9 pin, no matter the voltage output for the lighting functions, and regulate it for the on board 1.5v lights without adding resistors.:cool:

Back