Help me choos a new beginner set?

BamaMan

Roll Tide! Dothan, Al
(originally posted on the HO board but not sure if I want HO or N yet so posted here also)

Hey guys. I am sure you get this all the time but I really need some help in picking out my first set. I would rather have a set than to pick out each one individually. I think I can get more for my dollar with a set. Probably not as good quality but thats ok for now.

I know I am on the N board, so either N or HO scale will be ok. I initially just want to set this up with the wifes Christmas Villages so N Scale would be great for that due to the size of the counter those Villages sit on. The more I think about it, I think I would ultimately want my set to be HO, but the Villiage train needs to be N but I dont have to do that if we cant find an N. Also, I may copy this over to the N Scale boards so they can help me too.

Here is the problem, I really dont want to spend over about 120, maybe 140. I KNOW already, from reading other posts, that that is not really enough to get started as you guys think. Thing is, for this amount I can get a set that will run thru the villages and then I can buy more later. I can replace and upgrade if this hobby still appeals to me as much as I think it will after Christmas.

The counter I want this on is 24 3/4" by 10 ft. So really, I dont know if thats wide enough for even an N Scale. Bear in mind that I do have an office out back that is 24 ft by 30 ft that I will have plenty of room for.

Problem is this, there is WAY too much info out there for the new guy. I look at different sites, or even ebay but there is so much available for Model RR. I dont know which brands are good/bad. I dont want to buy a brand name that is just no good. I dont want to buy a set that has some track or train that will only work on THAT track and not a more standard track. Any help here guys? The nearest hobby shop is about 50 miles from here. I dont mind driving over there buyt finding the time can be tough. Somebody point me in the right direction please.

Thx

You'll be seeing some good advice coming. For starters I'd browse these forums and others on the web to get an idea of what's out there. The weekend photo fun threads are excellent reads with pics.
I would also take that 50 mile ride and get a close up look of both sizes you're considering. N gauge is great but if you have poor eyesight or are middle age or older you might lean to HO. Before you take that ride call them and make sure they carry sets that you can compare. Not all hobby shops carry them.
Good Luck

You'll be seeing some good advice coming. For starters I'd browse these forums and others on the web to get an idea of what's out there. The weekend photo fun threads are excellent reads with pics.
I would also take that 50 mile ride and get a close up look of both sizes you're considering. N gauge is great but if you have poor eyesight or are middle age or older you might lean to HO. Before you take that ride call them and make sure they carry sets that you can compare. Not all hobby shops carry them.
Good Luck

Thx for the input! Hopefully I will get some good advice here. I have done some reading here and some reading other places. Alot of reading overall. SO much that I am overwhelmed with the info, haha. Also I do plan on riding to that Hobby shop, after I call them and getting a hands on look at some sets. But even then, I wont know what to look for in a set unless I learn it from you guys.

I really enjoy the pitcutre threads, some of those setups are amazing. Its those pictures that keep me wanting to do this and not get frsutrated. I just hope I can get something within the next week or so. Hopefully this weekend at the latest.

Well, being I ordered an N scale, I thought I would post what I bought:

My First Train

I am sure it wont be here till next week. Looking very much forward to it though!

Great way to start Bama welcome to the "dark" side:D the best thing about N scale is that you can do so much in a small space,and the scale as come so far in the last ten years,now all there is is to hit the swap meets:D

Back