Help, I've got an addiction!

NIevo

I cant stop buying stuff on eBay!:D Got a NIB Proto 2000 UP GP38-2 yesterday for $37 and just got a NIB Proto 2000 BN GP38-2 for $40! In the last couple weeks I've also bought 10 woodchip cars and 3 logging cars:eek: Wifes gonna kill me. Oh yeah, and a dual action airbrush from AirBrush City for $39. Think a BN GP9 is going to be my first project engine.

HaHa. You're winning all of the auctions that I am watching but, I haven't pulled the trigger on any of them yet. :D My plans are to get a couple of GP38-2s as well. :)

Excellent and I know what your going through. My addiction is the trainstore that's ten minutes away. My wife and I discussed a budget plan just for trains. But that does sound good on the prices. I don't know how much exactly Protos2000s cost, but I assume after shipping it would cost nearly the same? Enjoy and post a pic if you can of your BN GP9.

Excellent and I know what your going through. My addiction is the trainstore that's ten minutes away. My wife and I discussed a budget plan just for trains. But that does sound good on the prices. I don't know how much exactly Protos2000s cost, but I assume after shipping it would cost nearly the same? Enjoy and post a pic if you can of your BN GP9.

Well with shipping they're still under $50. Most I've seen at stores or even online are $65+ not including hipping or tax.

f1_indy2000- I'm lucky, the nearest hobby shop is almost an hour away, otherwise I would probably be single by now.

I will start a thread when I get started on the GP9. I haven't even gotten a shell yet. Trying to find an undecorated Proto 2000 shell to start with.

Yeah i have been doing the same myself buying everything from flex track to rolling stock to locos and weathering products. there is just so much to be had

Yeah, this whole hobby is one giant addiction. Sometimes I feel I'd be better off with crack cocaine... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the same problem. CNW SD40-2 BLI and a CNW SD45 Proto. I didn't get them as cheap as you did though.

I have to be careful with my max bids, shipping often takes the final cost over the original hsrp. However if it's an item that I really want (notice I didn't say need?) I sometimes go overboard, especially if I've been outbid on the same item in the past.
I have managed to get some smokin' deals tho, and yeah it is somewhat addictive.

Since I live in a desert when it comes to train shops, I had to purchase almost 100% of what I needed for my new layout over the net or on e-bay. I'd guess my purchases were split about 50/50 though net stores like Walthers and HobbyLinc and e-bay. Most of my money on e-bay was spent on things like long out of production building kits, some locomotives, and a bunch of freight cars. You can get some great buys on rolling stock from people who are selling off Dad's stuff and don't really know much about trains. I was able to get a four car lighted Spectrum lighted passenger car set for $25 and a P2K E-7 for $39, all Southern, which are not easy to find.

I'd guess I've made abour 250 purchases on e-bay over the past year but nothing in the past three months or so. Eventually, you wind up getting most of the things you need and spending time building instead of buying so the addiction lessens. :) Josh, Hobbylinc had Spectrum diesels for $43 right now, a little over your max bid but at least you know you'll get one.

Train stuff is number one or two selling items on EBAY . You have to be careful when pulling the trigger on something . I usually check out the retail price elsewhere and then take into consideration shipping cost along with the price of the item. I set a limit and don't go over . A lot of deals can be had . but a lot of waste can also be had !!

I've won 17 in the last 60 days. Dunno about the last year, though. Mostly stuff you can't find in the stores. But, some can be found in the LHS, but not the ones around me.

Kennedy

I too am careful with the cost of the item plus the shipping, some sellers will absolutely gouge the buyer on shipping to try to make up some more money. Not a practice that I am a fan of in any way whatsoever.

On another note, I have a shop that is about 10 minutes away from here with some really great people. I am by no means a "regular" customer there although it is the only "true" hobby store in town, we also have a Hobby Lobby. Does anyone else feel any guilt by not going to the local shop to buy new items or is it just me? Their prices are similar to those I see at some of the online retailers. Sometimes the hobby store is lower by a good chunk too. I am more wondering about the stuff on Ebay, sometimes the deals are too good to pass up. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Back