Help identify what is connected to my Rivarossi Big boy

Josh123

I bought this locomotive used and when inspecting it I noticed there was a decoder attached to the locomotive. I was wondering if someone could help me identify what this is used for or what it does. When testing it, it didn’t respond
Thanks
IMG_4015.jpeg
IMG_4018.jpeg
IMG_4024.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4023.jpeg
    IMG_4023.jpeg
    701.8 KB · Views: 57
It looks like it needs a lot of work. The motor is covered in rust, so the commutator may also have corrosion on it. Are the tender wheels clean? Does the headlight work? Are the backs of the drivers also rusty?

Thanks for the reply, when connected it seems like the motor is not getting power, could this be the issue?
I agree it is probably constant lighting. It is to simple a circuit to be a decoder. It could be why the motor is not getting power, but would need to see where all those wires trace to. I propose a simple check first. Touch the power directly to the motor contact and bypass all this other circuitry.

As BNSF971 implied above, the issue could be lots of places. Wheels, wheel pickups, broken wire somewhere, this circuit, motor contacts, motor itself. Applying power directly to the motor will help isolate where the problem is.

Can we get a photo from the top looking down?
I agree it looks like a constant lighting circuit, and I like the idea of bypassing it to test.

IMG_4025.jpeg
IMG_4026.jpeg
IMG_4027.jpeg
IMG_4028.jpeg
IMG_4029.jpeg

So when I tested the motor it did briefly turn on but I think the contacts might be an issue and it really could use a good clean. The wheels seem to be clean but there is rust on the connecting bar. I can send more pictures if needed

Last edited:
The wheels seem to be clean but there is rust on the connecting bar. I can send more pictures if needed
Yeah this is going to be a problem. The power has to pass from the pin on the tender through this bar to the loco. I can see the inside of that hole is all rusted up. That needs to be cleaned out. The weak point of the whole power system if you ask me. One tiny point of contact. Some of the newer models have a spring wire under the bar that presses against it to increase conductivity. Perhaps you could add one.
RivarossiConnectingBar.jpg

Yeah this is going to be a problem. The power has to pass from the pin on the tender through this bar to the loco. I can see the inside of that hole is all rusted up. That needs to be cleaned out. The weak point of the whole power system if you ask me. One tiny point of contact. Some of the newer models have a spring wire under the bar that presses against it to increase conductivity. Perhaps you could add one.
View attachment 171209
Thanks for the help, would you have any recommendations on how/what to use to clean off the rust?

Thanks for the help, would you have any recommendations on how/what to use to clean off the rust?
White vinegar & a fine scrubbng then WD40 or similar to get rid of the vinegar (or more so the water & acid in it) and then a thin coat of an oil or grease that will stay a long time to stop it comming back.

Last edited:
Never used coke before, is that a thing?
Coke, sodas, and carbonated water in general are primarily carbonic acid H2CO3. That is why they destroy teeth so quickly.

I would not file in the hole, as that would make it yet bigger. The bigger the whole the less tightly it fits and the less area for electrical contact there is.

Hi,
the electronic part with the grey capacitor is a "Hornby Zero 1" decoder. Google it and compare the images...
That's the main reason why the Big Boy doesn't move.
You should either replace it with a current DCC decoder if You run Your trains digital or remove if You operate analog.

Regards, HansKuster

Last edited:
I would not file in the hole, as that would make it yet bigger. The bigger the whole the less tightly it fits and the less area for electrical contact there is.
I should have been more clear, just run the file through to remove any residual rust. A piece of emery cloth would do the same.

Back