Hello from the Nevada Desert

flaps

I am new of course to this forum, I am nearing the 60 mark when it comes to age and have loved trains, railroads, and aviation, airplanes and cars and on and on.

Anyway, as of late thinking about life and missing trains, decided to get a single H.O. GG-1 Pennsylvania Railroad Engine, I may never be able to run it, but I love the way it looks and when I was 6 to 12 years old remember seeing these in and around Philadelphia and Suburbs, lived in King of Prussia until I was 19. My older brother was into trains as was my cousin in NJ, so I also got into it. In the 90's when my kids were around 4 to 6 years old we built a 8x4 plus another 8x4 layout, L shape, pretty nice for amateurs. Lived in Virginia Beach at the time. Hope to bug :) people that know a lot more than me, on this Engine idea later, thanks, Flaps / Chris

Welcome to the asylum, heck man just get some track and run that sucker on the floor! It's all good, I've got a yooge layout but if all I had room for was a switching plank I'd run em back and forth all darn day! Don't need a whole lotta much space to get some good action going! TONS of good ideas on here, give em some look see and create something way cool! I'm no moderator or administrator or especially not an expert, just an enthusiast and the first one to see your post I guess.

Happy Holidays and Happy Rolling!

Welcome Chris, in the words of a song, "you've come to the right place". A GG-1 Pennsylvania, eh! Once Louis hears that he'll be nagging for pictures. Right, then. You've got an engine. No train should leave the station without one. And it will want to pull something behind it, or it'll be lonely (and it won't really be a train either)...so.... what plans or desires do you have for your GG-1?

Thanks for the warm welcomes, I did decide to do something with some short track, not sure what yet. I do need some opinions, I need to do this on a budget, but what are correct cars to go with a GG-1 Solid stripe in Brunswick Green ?

Thanks for any tips and info, looking forward to bringing back memories, Flaps / Chris

Welcome to the forum Chris. You will find lots of friendly folks here. I cannot help with any Pennsy questions, but we have several Pennsy modelers here. If you find the time, come over to the Coffee Shop and shoot the bull with us. Anything goes except religion and politics...mostly railroading, but lots of good-natured ribbing as well.

Willie

Welcome.gif Welcome to the forum Chris. Although I live half way across the country I have always been interested in the Pennsy. Grew up with relatives working on the Milwaukee Road and the Northern Pacific and spent many hour riding with them on the Electrified Rocky Mountain Division. Being a fan of electrics, I was reading what I coud find out about the Pennsy.

Like Willie said, come on and visit us at the Coffee Shop.

decided to get a single H.O. GG-1 Pennsylvania Railroad Engine, ... people that know a lot more than me, on this Engine idea later,
Have you already purchased the engine, or are you looking to get one? Right now I think there are two manufacturers making them, and on the used market there are three more choices for vendors. I've got three Bachmann (the new ones), one Trix, and two Broadway Limited. I'm trying to get one in each paint scheme. The next two on the on my hit list are the single stripe large logo in both green and red. Bachmann makes the green one, I'm watching E-bay for the red one by Broadway Limited.

The GG1 is probably the most ubiquitous locomotive in the USA. They ran from the 1930's into the 1980s, so they roamed and even ruled the electrified rails for 50 years.

Lionel just announced a new one in O-Scale that I am soooo tempted to purchase just because they look so good.

You could even make a believable freelance railroad of some electrified Nevada mining railroad that purchased an old GG-1 to use to haul ore. I was surprised at all the electrified railroads in New Mexico and Arizona. I would assume Nevada is no different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, Flaps, as Bruce said, to the fray! I came within a chigger's chin of buying a Varney GG-1 Kit which had never been opened last year. Man, Do I wish I had - I think it went for $47 on eBay. I put a $40 limit bid in, but figured that it wouod go for much more than the final bid.
Where bouts in the desert are you? I have property in Laughlin.

Hi Chris, Welcome to the Forums,
It's a great place here with lots of helpful and knowledgeable folks as your already seeing.

According the Bachman Dealers catalog I have, they offer both the Green and Tuscan Red with the wide multi line stripe but the catalog only shows the Brunswick Green with the single solid stripe. It says that their loco's perform best on a 22" or greater radius. So I might suggest doing something like an 'L' shaper dog bone with a 22" loop on either end. To keep things a bit more economical for your self you can get two sheets of of 1/2" plywood or OSB board and cut one sheet in half to form two 4'x4' pieces for your loops and cut the other sheet into two sections 2'x 8' or whatever length you want to
form your 'L' shaped layout as a base that will to give you some variation in running. Your table work doesn't have to be built out of very heavy material either. I use 2x4's cut in half to form legs that are approximately 1 3/4"x1 3/4" and drilled the bottom so I could tap a T-nut into the base and used 3/8" carriage bolts with a 3/8 Hex nut as height adjustment and lock nut arrangement as everything is free standing and not attached to the walls. I should have some pictures on the forum of how I built my table work which start using L-Girders that I attach the legs to and then add 45* angle braces to each side for stability and 'X' bracing across the legs on the ends. This forms light weight yet a strong table supports.

I hope this is a help?
See you at the Coffee shop and have a cup and donut on me.

Bachmann

I was a bad boy this year and ordered my own Christmas Gift, got the Bachman with Sound, to start.

Have you already purchased the engine, or are you looking to get one? Right now I think there are two manufacturers making them, and on the used market there are three more choices for vendors. I've got three Bachmann (the new ones), one Trix, and two Broadway Limited. I'm trying to get one in each paint scheme. The next two on the on my hit list are the single stripe large logo in both green and red. Bachmann makes the green one, I'm watching E-bay for the red one by Broadway Limited.

The GG1 is probably the most ubiquitous locomotive in the USA. They ran from the 1930's into the 1980s, so they roamed and even ruled the electrified rails for 50 years.

Lionel just announced a new one in O-Scale that I am soooo tempted to purchase just because they look so good.

You could even make a believable freelance railroad of some electrified Nevada mining railroad that purchased an old GG-1 to use to haul ore. I was surprised at all the electrified railroads in New Mexico and Arizona. I would assume Nevada is no different.

Hello, I live in the Southeast Part of Las Vegas, right near the Wetlands Area, Flaps / Chris

Welcome, Flaps, as Bruce said, to the fray! I came within a chigger's chin of buying a Varney GG-1 Kit which had never been opened last year. Man, Do I wish I had - I think it went for $47 on eBay. I put a $40 limit bid in, but figured that it wouod go for much more than the final bid.
Where bouts in the desert are you? I have property in Laughlin.

Quick question, I went into the HO section early today, asked a question about Passenger Cars for my new Engine and got a moderator has to approve message, now some 6 hours later still no new post by me, did I do something wrong or is there a big delay when your new at making post ??? New post ??

Flaps / Chris

Back