Hello from Cali

chris30901

Salute the Fallen Flags
Hi, I've been browsing the forums, and this seemed like a great place to ask for help. I have a 4x8, no plan, track, trains and no idea on wiring. Right now, i'm using DC :mad: but i do hope to switch to DCC later on :D Anyways, that kind of it for now, I'm going to go ask for help now. Hope to make lots of friends and learn more!

Welcome to the forums. It's a great place to learn from those who have a lot of knowledge and talent. Pretty friendly too. Plenty of folks to help with any wiring problems (or most any other), all you need to do is ask............don't be bashful.

Hello Chris, Welcome to the form, as Bob above said you'll get all the help you want or need here so don't be bashful about asking, ok?

Where about are you located in Calif? I'm in the foothills North of Fresno as if heading up to Yosemite.

As far as DC & DCC there is two sides to both. Being an old timer I've always been involved with DC and see no need to change as I can't see how it would benefit me and I did give it considerable thought a while back. The way I view it is this, I'm only going to be operating one train at a time picking-up cars or delivering them and I'm fine with using the block system so DCC offers No advantage for me and costs a lot more.
Others have different opinions I know but it all boils down to what is going to work best for you?? I also thought the having sound, the Chuff, Bell & Whistle at start up or when slowing down was something I'd really enjoy but after helping a friend build his layout and he has a couple of DCC Loco's that also run on DC and produce the Sounds as mentioned above it does get tiring to hear it all the time and others on the forum have said the same thing. Well anyway that's my input on the subject.

Hello Chris, Welcome to the form, as Bob above said you'll get all the help you want or need here so don't be bashful about asking, ok?

Where about are you located in Calif? I'm in the foothills North of Fresno as if heading up to Yosemite.

As far as DC & DCC there is two sides to both. Being an old timer I've always been involved with DC and see no need to change as I can't see how it would benefit me and I did give it considerable thought a while back. The way I view it is this, I'm only going to be operating one train at a time picking-up cars or delivering them and I'm fine with using the block system so DCC offers No advantage for me and costs a lot more.
Others have different opinions I know but it all boils down to what is going to work best for you?? I also thought the having sound, the Chuff, Bell & Whistle at start up or when slowing down was something I'd really enjoy but after helping a friend build his layout and he has a couple of DCC Loco's that also run on DC and produce the Sounds as mentioned above it does get tiring to hear it all the time and others on the forum have said the same thing. Well anyway that's my input on the subject.

Hi! I'm located in Fresno so we are pretty close together. Also, thanks for the input!

Hi Chris,
Yes, we aren't too far apart at all which is great. Below also is my Cell phone# and email address so feel free to contact me, ok?

Also we can get together and share ideas etc. So fill me in a bit more, do you have a loco, some cars and track now and planning on doing something on a 4x8 or possibly make an ' L ' shaped layout with say a 4'x4' loop on either end connected by a 2' or 2' 6" L to give more variation in operation as well as running? If you have the space that would definitely by my suggestion as it gives a whole different dimension to a layout.

Get in touch and we can talk more.

Also note I sent you a PM.

I will say, somewhat contrary to what I said before, that having sound on board and the ability to blow the whistle and ring the bell with a hand held control unit can add a lot depending on weather your intending to just watch the trains run all the time or especially when performing delivery and pick-ups.

I did buy the MRC Symphony sound system which is ok, generally, and does allow me to switch from steam to diesel sounds but in using my radio controlled hand throttle and walking around to the other side of my one loop to follow the train climbing the grade I loose the ability to even try and use the hand control due to it being out of reach. So just moving along with the train is enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back