Hawks NEW "MHO Junction" layout

Back working on the layout, ....... not really, I should of said fixing.
I have 2 section of track to remove and replace.
One has 1/8" of missing track causing derailment, I thought it would be no problem, but was hugely wrong. Supposedly we learn from our mistakes.
The other is a section I have to remove near the covered bridge because at the exit it goes into a small curve which makes longer cars hit or get stuck in the bridge, again, we learn from our mistakes.
Boy i hate mistakes.

Oh well, in the mean time, I decided to take some pictures of trains on the layout, no not from my mistakes, too ashamed....lol

View attachment 177770
Impressive, rolling stock has super detail, the sky backscene totally works,the foreground conifer is very nice indeed, as a tree modeller I love it,nice metal finish on the tracks, nice static grass, ballast looks like you followed go down a guage the cp rail bogie is very clean but the rolling stock to the far right looks suitably dirty, like you rock face will need to go look if you show how you did it,
super modelling excellent attention to detail, love it.

Impressive, rolling stock has super detail, the sky backscene totally works,the foreground conifer is very nice indeed, as a tree modeller I love it,nice metal finish on the tracks, nice static grass, ballast looks like you followed go down a guage the cp rail bogie is very clean but the rolling stock to the far right looks suitably dirty, like you rock face will need to go look if you show how you did it,
super modelling excellent attention to detail, love it.
Nice. match with the twigs to the backscene, nice static grass, good use of real plants, excellent rocks again and adore the water feature..l.
as I go back will just add emotes, but have to say seriously impressed.
Thank you so much Jaz
Sorry, I don't show how I did the rock face.
Show me the picture and I'll try and do a description of how I did it.

Lloyd

I had a few minutes to waste, so I've been testing roads for a clinic.
Wasn't to satisfied with my first try of having a cobblestone with track covered with asphalt, so I redid it.
Second time around was much better and I'm sure if I was to do another, it would be better, but I'm very satisfied with this outcome.

IMG_1155.JPG

I had a few minutes to waste, so I've been testing roads for a clinic.
Wasn't to satisfied with my first try of having a cobblestone with track covered with asphalt, so I redid it.
Second time around was much better and I'm sure if I was to do another, it would be better, but I'm very satisfied with this outcome.

View attachment 182496
I have only one issue, the old railway track, a dock or such? Would have been tarmaced after a time of disuse, so if the tarmac gets broken up by cold weather and heavy traffic one would expect those tracks to be pretty rusty,
that said, the detail and effort you have put in are otherwise spot on, perhaps some dirt build up around the broken tarmac, as wind and rain push in dust etc…..

love the leaves, the grass, a puddle would be nice, (if not water modelling glue, investigate PVA glue on a seperate piece, or some varnish.

FYI I took the time to criticise, because you go the extra mile and are worth the effort to do so.
I could add examples from my own work BUT this is your great thread, and I have already seen great ideas here.

I have only one issue, the old railway track, a dock or such? Would have been tarmaced after a time of disuse, so if the tarmac gets broken up by cold weather and heavy traffic one would expect those tracks to be pretty rusty,
that said, the detail and effort you have put in are otherwise spot on, perhaps some dirt build up around the broken tarmac, as wind and rain push in dust etc…..

love the leaves, the grass, a puddle would be nice, (if not water modelling glue, investigate PVA glue on a seperate piece, or some varnish.

FYI I took the time to criticise, because you go the extra mile and are worth the effort to do so.
I could add examples from my own work BUT this is your great thread, and I have already seen great ideas here.
Thanks Jaz,
After I took the picture, I did rust the rails and added grime.

We are back from holidays, having been to Alaska, beautiful scenery.
For the next few weeks, months, I'll be working on another section of the layout. I cancelled the co-op and instead will extend my paper-mill, total length 10 feet x 20".
Here are a few pictures of the progress done this weekend.
The last two pictures shows what I'm looking for, if anybody wants to part with. Thanks

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG
IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2628.JPG
IMG_2630.JPG

IMG_2629.JPG
IMG_2631.JPG

447867376_878594410764857_4539937875467412503_n.jpg
448258554_1002223511498335_3789413543801520544_n.jpg

Thanks Rico,
That's for sure, I already have a list of 8 different types of cars for the mill.
I found my list of cars needed in my paper mill
IMG_6108.jpeg

Inbound

31 cars needed for weekly production

18 pulp or wood chip cars daily
6 box cars daily
18 semi trailers daily

Outbound

6 box cars daily
18 semi trailers
1 each Tank cars daily for Tall Oil and Turpentine

While the mill works 24/7 it only receives box cars, pulp and wood chips on Sunday. Shipping ships but
the mill itself is on a skelton maintenance schedule

There is lots of action in a paper mill. Lloyd, you’ll have fun building it and operating it

I found my list of cars needed in my paper mill
View attachment 192221
Inbound

31 cars needed for weekly production

18 pulp or wood chip cars daily
6 box cars daily
18 semi trailers daily

Outbound

6 box cars daily
18 semi trailers
1 each Tank cars daily for Tall Oil and Turpentine

While the mill works 24/7 it only receives box cars, pulp and wood chips on Sunday. Shipping ships but
the mill itself is on a skelton maintenance schedule

There is lots of action in a paper mill. Lloyd, you’ll have fun building it and operating it

Tom, MANY thanks,
That will help immensely, much appreciated.

Tom, MANY thanks,
That will help immensely, much appreciated.
When I lived in North Central Wisconsin there were 13 Papermills between Nekoosa and Rhinelander all on the Wisconsin River. Maybe 100 miles between Nekoosa on the south end and Rhinelander on the northern end. 10 were integrated mills, 2 were pulp mills and one was a corrugated mill. I think 1/2 are now closed

I had a friend who was Operations Director at one of them. When I asked about rail shipments in about 2010 he said for every box car out of paper rolls it took 3 loads of pulp wood or wood chips. They loaded on average 20 boxcars a day and 10 semi trailers. My load out track can only hold 2-60’ boxcars per shift! So 2x3=6 x 3 shifts gives me 6 boxcars and 18 pulp or woodchip cars daily. But most on the real and model were shipped by truck

The woodchip pile had enough on site inventory to supply the mill for 3 weeks, the pulp yards had enough for 90 days.

The bleaching plant I never received an answer about. I gathered from online sources the ratio of cars and how often they were needed

Any luck on finding the pulp tanks and cooling tower? I sold my last unbuilt cooling tower kits for $100+ back in April. I saw some Shapeway cooling towers but singles towers for under $20. Combined 4 together maybe. Or just model them in the aisle!

When I lived in North Central Wisconsin there were 13 Papermills between Nekoosa and Rhinelander all on the Wisconsin River. Maybe 100 miles between Nekoosa on the south end and Rhinelander on the northern end. 10 were integrated mills, 2 were pulp mills and one was a corrugated mill. I think 1/2 are now closed

I had a friend who was Operations Director at one of them. When I asked about rail shipments in about 2010 he said for every box car out of paper rolls it took 3 loads of pulp wood or wood chips. They loaded on average 20 boxcars a day and 10 semi trailers. My load out track can only hold 2-60’ boxcars per shift! So 2x3=6 x 3 shifts gives me 6 boxcars and 18 pulp or woodchip cars daily. But most on the real and model were shipped by truck

The woodchip pile had enough on site inventory to supply the mill for 3 weeks, the pulp yards had enough for 90 days.

The bleaching plant I never received an answer about. I gathered from online sources the ratio of cars and how often they were needed

Any luck on finding the pulp tanks and cooling tower? I sold my last unbuilt cooling tower kits for $100+ back in April. I saw some Shapeway cooling towers but singles towers for under $20. Combined 4 together maybe. Or just model them in the aisle!
Looks like a lot of scratch building in my near future...lol

Change of mind.

First I must say that the area was already planned for a coop and a paper recycling plant, but I was convince to make a huge paper mill. The area is 12' by 20" and is Protolance with CP in the 70's.

This was before:

before.jpg

1720808803668.jpeg

But since, I took it all down, so that I could do the new track layout for the paper mill.

IMG_2654.JPG

IMG_2656.JPG

IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_2660.JPG

The roadbeds for the tracks and tracks are installed. Next, it's the wiring, ensuring the connectivity of the tracks and testing. Subsequently, the design of all buildings and the road. During this time, I will be looking for tanks cars for chemicals and wood chip cars (CP and 70s).
Coming up after all this, my two scratch bridges (trestle), paint the tracks, make the road, make the buildings (scratch and kit bashing), etc.

An overall view of the area

IMG_2669.JPG

This area will be for the recycling paper

IMG_2668.jpg

This area will be for the loading of paper rolls etc.

IMG_2667.jpg

This area will be for the chemicals.

IMG_2666.jpg

This area is for the processing.

IMG_2665.jpg

This area will be for the wood chips.

IMG_2664.jpg

The freights are only there to show where the cars will be. I still have to find the right cars such as wood chip cars, tank cars for the 70's era in Ontario. The buildings are also just there to show since I still have to plan the look and flow.
The white paper is where a road will/could be located.

For now, that's it. Will try to post weekly since there's lots to do.

Thanks

Lloyd

Change of mind.

First I must say that the area was already planned for a coop and a paper recycling plant, but I was convince to make a huge paper mill. The area is 12' by 20" and is Protolance with CP in the 70's.

This was before:

View attachment 193975

View attachment 193976

But since, I took it all down, so that I could do the new track layout for the paper mill.

View attachment 193970

View attachment 193971

View attachment 193972

View attachment 193973

The roadbeds for the tracks and tracks are installed. Next, it's the wiring, ensuring the connectivity of the tracks and testing. Subsequently, the design of all buildings and the road. During this time, I will be looking for tanks cars for chemicals and wood chip cars (CP and 70s).
Coming up after all this, my two scratch bridges (trestle), paint the tracks, make the road, make the buildings (scratch and kit bashing), etc.

An overall view of the area

View attachment 193974

This area will be for the recycling paper

IMG_2668.jpg

This area will be for the loading of paper rolls etc.

IMG_2667.jpg

This area will be for the chemicals.

IMG_2666.jpg

This area is for the processing.

IMG_2665.jpg

This area will be for the wood chips.

IMG_2664.jpg

The freights are only there to show where the cars will be. I still have to find the right cars such as wood chip cars, tank cars for the 70's era in Ontario. The buildings are also just there to show since I still have to plan the look and flow.
The white paper is where a road will/could be located.

For now, that's it. Will try to post weekly since there's lots to do.

Thanks

Lloyd
WOW! That's a big change from the original plan, and looks great, I'll make sure I keep up with your progress.

Back